SportsWrath

Mr.Ojulari

BlueInCanada

I think the Giants probably had one of the biggest steal in the second round (if not the first two rounds) by grabbing Azeez Ojulari.

Reading about this kid as rookie minicamp is underway and it's finally looks like the Giants drafted their LB/Edge guy of the next 10 years.

Just read any draft profile on him;

"One of the most NFL ready OLBs/Edge players in the draft, built like a superhuman with a rare combination of strength and explosiveness to play day one and either get after the QB or pursue the RB In the backfield"

"Incredibly high football character and IQ, who is humble and a team leader, being the only freshman to be named a captain under his HC in college"

"Goes after blockers like he's trying to blow up every single run play, knocking pulling guards and FBs over consistently in college to blow up running plays in the backfield"

"His sideline to sideline athleticism allows him to chase down plays and set the edge, while also being able to change direction well in pass coverage when having to drop back"

"His pure strength and athleticism combined with his high football IQ allow him to go after multiple types of blocks"

"Has closing speed that allows him to drive through QBs and running backs when making the tackle/sack"

Even his negatives are positives;

"Isnt the biggest edge LB, but very strong for his size"

"Needs to learn to set the edge better other than using his strength and speed"

"Needs some more reps in pass coverage instead of using his make up speed"

lol

I don't know but I think we may have gotten a hell of a player who I'm very much looking forward to seeing where he's at come year end.

Oh and he's already signed his contract.

Go Blue!

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, mastershake said:

He's good! Seems like a steal in the mid 2nd round.

The problem with DG is for every good move he has two-three bad moves negating it. How many players are keepers on this roster?

Ojulari

Dexter Lawrence

McKinney

Leonard Williams (at least two more years)

Toney

Andrew Thomas

It really goes to show just how difficult it is to build an NFL team in general, and how far away this Giants team has been for years now. Even feeling pretty good about this off season, and last as well, I don't feel like this team is anywhere close. 

37 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

It really goes to show just how difficult it is to build an NFL team in general, and how far away this Giants team has been for years now. Even feeling pretty good about this off season, and last as well, I don't feel like this team is anywhere close. 

We just need an entire paradigm shift ASAP. This is not everything we need to do, but keys for me are moving on from Barkley, Engram, Shepherd, and we STILL have to build an OL next to Andrew Thomas (with Gates hurt we now have at least 3 OL positions to fill next offseason, possibly 4). 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

I mean that's just it.

A GM needs to be good at two things, hitting on two or three draft picks a year and signing reliable starters and back ups in free agency.

There's 53 spots on a team and 10 on the practice squad, that's 63 players.

Even if you hit on 4 years with of picks 28 guys who all start and play which will never happen in the NFL that means you still have to find 35 guys in free agency who can start and play.

Realistically your team is made up of 12 to 15 draft picks who stick over a number of years, the rest are all free agents and trades.

I'll give DG credit he has hit on draft picks, Jones, Lawrence, Ojulari, Thomas, McKinney and Toney.

But that's only 6 guys in 4 drafts, 6 out of 28 picks who are sticking with the team.

The other 57 spots he had to fill himself and this is the squad he's built in those four years.

It's just not good enough.

9 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I mean that's just it.

A GM needs to be good at two things, hitting on two or three draft picks a year and signing reliable starters and back ups in free agency.

There's 53 spots on a team and 10 on the practice squad, that's 63 players.

Even if you hit on 4 years with of picks 28 guys who all start and play which will never happen in the NFL that means you still have to find 35 guys in free agency who can start and play.

Realistically your team is made up of 12 to 15 draft picks who stick over a number of years, the rest are all free agents and trades.

I'll give DG credit he has hit on draft picks, Jones, Lawrence, Ojulari, Thomas, McKinney and Toney.

But that's only 6 guys in 4 drafts, 6 out of 28 picks who are sticking with the team.

The other 57 spots he had to fill himself and this is the squad he's built in those four years.

It's just not good enough.

You also have to hire a good coach.    He’s hired two bad ones so far. 

Am I the only one that doesn't see it? I understand he has 5.5 sacks this years. But in reality... it wasn't against good competition. Against the Rams and Cowboys I don't ever remember his name being called. I could be wrong. And his run defense needs some work. 

2 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Am I the only one that doesn't see it? I understand he has 5.5 sacks this years. But in reality... it wasn't against good competition. Against the Rams and Cowboys I don't ever remember his name being called. I could be wrong. And his run defense needs some work. 

There’s an argument here for or against the entire defense… they seem to disappear at times.   

43 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

I think this is all accurate.  However, 5.5 sacks is 5.5 sacks, and for a rookie I'll take it. 

Ximenes and Carter played against the same guys and they haven't been as successful. 

4 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

I don't think you're wrong, until this week I didn't feel like I was seeing a 10+ sack kind of player, it was more like right place, right time. 

This week was different though. Just one game, I'm trying not to get excited about it. 

On 10/27/2021 at 6:46 AM, Sephiroth said:

I think this is all accurate.  However, 5.5 sacks is 5.5 sacks, and for a rookie I'll take it. 

Ximenes and Carter played against the same guys and they haven't been as successful. 

I see your point. I was actually surprised when I saw he had 5.5 sacks. Maybe I'm just being picky.