SportsWrath

Free Agency Thread

Mr. P

Lamar miller to hou 4 years 26 mil 14 guaranteed.

Osweiler is 4 years 72 37

Osweiler is going to the Texans?

LOL Broncos about to be a 4-12 team.

And the Texans just signed another average QB hoping he's gonna fix the issues they have at QB.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 4m4 minutes ago

It's hard to tell without the details, but Giants have probably used about $22M or so of that cap space already. Still a lot left.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 6m6 minutes ago

NFLPA says Giants opened free agency with $52,507,925 in salary cap space -- slightly less than estimated. Still 4th-most in NFL.

Anybody mention how much cap we have left?

haven't seen a number yet but:

Jordan Raanan & #8207;@JordanRaanan 2m2 minutes ago

FYI: #Giants still have plenty of salary cap space remaining. Expect more moves.

The available safeties are all at late 20s, if not 30s, which doesn't appear to be the target range the Giants are looking at. I think Gipson and Iloka were the guys to go after. I wouldn't rule out a guy like Thurmond who I believe is 29, for a 2 year deal or so.

I'm also wondering if the Giants won't roll with Cooper Taylor or Jackson...guys who seemed to be getting it last year before they went down with injury...and supplement through the draft.

It's the classic pressure/coverage debate on the defense. Upgrades up front that yield more pressure, limit the time the secondary has to cover...OR...lock down the secondary to give the defensive front more time to get to the QB. If our moves so far actually yield results in more hurries/sacks/etc....than the safety position becomes less of a factor. It'd be a gamble not to address it at some point...but not a completely off the wall gamble.

The available safeties are all at late 20s, if not 30s, which doesn't appear to be the target range the Giants are looking at. I think Gipson and Iloka were the guys to go after. I wouldn't rule out a guy like Thurmond who I believe is 29, for a 2 year deal or so.

I'm also wondering if the Giants won't roll with Cooper Taylor or Jackson...guys who seemed to be getting it last year before they went down with injury...and supplement through the draft.

It's the classic pressure/coverage debate on the defense. Upgrades up front that yield more pressure, limit the time the secondary has to cover...OR...lock down the secondary to give the defensive front more time to get to the QB. If our moves so far actually yield results in more hurries/sacks/etc....than the safety position becomes less of a factor. It'd be a gamble not to address it at some point...but not a completely off the wall gamble.

I don't think we should just go after young guys... A mix of young and vets is always a plus for any team... I'm taken back to the Signing of Sam Madison.

I think, too, a mix is a good thing...but older vets often bring injury risks, declining talent risks...just seems the safer bet is the younger guys more often than not.

That's why the window for FAs seems to be mid-20s. You can sign them for a few years, get them in their prime, and they already have several years worth of experience.

Anyone thinks the Giants would make a move to get Eric Weddle?

I expect them to try, but I keep reading that Weddle wants to play for a 'contender'.

I read a rumor you might get your guy at MLB though.

Nas will like this

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Jordan Raanan

Giants have had discussions with him. Numbers exchanged. No deal as of yet.

Mike Garafolo added,

Jordan Raanan @JordanRaanan

I expect them to try, but I keep reading that Weddle wants to play for a 'contender'.

I read a rumor you might get your guy at MLB though.

Nas will like this

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Jordan Raanan

Giants have had discussions with him. Numbers exchanged. No deal as of yet.

Mike Garafolo added,

Jordan Raanan @JordanRaanan

Holy shit... Please God!!!! :rock: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: