SportsWrath

Free Agency Thread

Mr. P

What's the knock on him? Why didn't Seattle and other teams want to sign him?

The word is he wanted him to be guaranteed the LT spot, and Seattle and NY wouldn't guarantee that. He took the non-guaranteed money because Denver said he would play LT.

Giants owner Mara: Team might not be done spending
  • By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: March 21, 2016 at 07:59 a.m.
  • Updated: March 21, 2016 at 09:39 a.m.

For the second time in three years, the New York Giants emerged as a big spender in free agency, doling out a lucrative contract for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in 2014 and a historically lucrative contract for Olivier Vernon in 2016. The team already has more than $200 million worth of money committed to the 2016 class thanks to Vernon, Janoris Jenkins and Damon Harrison.

According to co-owner and team president John Mara, they might not be finished yet either.

"There are still some players we're looking at, obviously at a lower level in terms of compensation," Mara told The New York Post at the Annual League Meeting over the weekend. "But I still think we have some holes to fill.

"I think we would like to add another offensive lineman somewhere down the line, (as well as) another corner (and) another receiver. There are still players we're looking at. We may have to wait until the draft if (those players) aren't there in free agency."

Some of this is cleaning up past mistakes. The Giants obviously thought that Victor Cruz would be in their long-term plans and also thought that Geoff Schwartz, another centerpiece of their 2014 class, would still be in New York as well.

But a lot of this is burying the perception that the Giants are a team on the decline. Before the 2014 spending spree, the roster had a bare bones feel thanks to a bevy of retirements, departing free agents and injuries. That year, the team started 0-6 and missed the playoffs again. The Giants have only made the playoffs once since 2009 -- the year they won the Super Bowl.

Unlike other perennial third-place finishers, they have a talented franchise quarterback, a once-in-a-decade talent at wide receiver and an offensive line that could include four first- or second-round picks on opening day 2016 depending on where the team looks in the draft. As much as this free agency period was about plugging holes, it was just as much about jump-starting a roster with a good core to life.

<p>

Giants owner Mara: Team might not be done spending

• By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: March 21, 2016 at 07:59 a.m.
  • Updated: March 21, 2016 at 09:39 a.m.

For the second time in three years, the New York Giants emerged as a big spender in free agency, doling out a lucrative contract for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in 2014 and a historically lucrative contract for Olivier Vernon in 2016. The team already has more than $200 million worth of money committed to the 2016 class thanks to Vernon, Janoris Jenkins and Damon Harrison.

According to co-owner and team president John Mara, they might not be finished yet either.

"There are still some players we're looking at, obviously at a lower level in terms of compensation," Mara told The New York Post at the Annual League Meeting over the weekend. "But I still think we have some holes to fill.

"I think we would like to add another offensive lineman somewhere down the line, (as well as) another corner (and) another receiver. There are still players we're looking at. We may have to wait until the draft if (those players) aren't there in free agency."

Some of this is cleaning up past mistakes. The Giants obviously thought that Victor Cruz would be in their long-term plans and also thought that Geoff Schwartz, another centerpiece of their 2014 class, would still be in New York as well.

But a lot of this is burying the perception that the Giants are a team on the decline. Before the 2014 spending spree, the roster had a bare bones feel thanks to a bevy of retirements, departing free agents and injuries. That year, the team started 0-6 and missed the playoffs again. The Giants have only made the playoffs once since 2009 -- the year they won the Super Bowl.

Unlike other perennial third-place finishers, they have a talented franchise quarterback, a once-in-a-decade talent at wide receiver and an offensive line that could include four first- or second-round picks on opening day 2016 depending on where the team looks in the draft. As much as this free agency period was about plugging holes, it was just as much about jump-starting a roster with a good core to life.

By my count we still have 5 positions that need addressing, 4 of which need starters. Assuming we get a fs from a returning injury (heard that's what we're banking on) and put Hart at one of the vacant ol spots we still have 2 starting spots and depth to take care of so I would hope we aren't done yet, but the fa pool is drying up.

Weren't they really high on the kid we drafted in the late rounds last year at S?

Thompson? I guess, but most were looking at him as a udfa. I know literally nothing about him. Aside from him there's Berhe and Jackson. Been hearing that Reese was looking at one of the 3 of them to take the lead in FS race. If that's indeed what we're doing I hope one of them ends up being at least decent.

We also need to bring in some CB help. Huge dropoff in talent after the 2 starters.

Thompson? I guess, but most were looking at him as a udfa. I know literally nothing about him. Aside from him there's Berhe and Jackson. Been hearing that Reese was looking at one of the 3 of them to take the lead in FS race. If that's indeed what we're doing I hope one of them ends up being at least decent.

We also need to bring in some CB help. Huge dropoff in talent after the 2 starters.

Finding a real nickle corner is a huge priority.

Especially when guys like Julio, Antonio and Larry play a lot of snaps out of the slot.

Which is why nowadays a team has to have basically 3 starting or starter quality corners. Right now I'm between Stanley and Hargreaves as a need based pick at 10.

Which is why nowadays a team has to have basically 3 starting or starter quality corners. Right now I'm between Stanley and Hargreaves as a need based pick at 10.

I've always said I want to go D for round 1; LB or CB or S, whoever is the best talent.

I've always said I want to go D for round 1; LB or CB or S, whoever is the best talent.

Taking the BPA is the best policy... regardless of position. I think the Giants may very well go DE or OT in the 1st and if the LB from Georgia (his name is Lenoard something or something lenoard) is there in the 2nd (which I feel he will be) then we would snatch him too... You really can argue either way... the temptation of fixing the right side of the line for a very long time is there... and LB has been a problem for us for a very very long time...

Unless Ramsey falls to 10 I haven't seen any safeties worthy of that pick. Then again I'm relying on mocks right now due to the recent work schedule.

I'm naming Stanley because I'm scared to death of another 16 games of Newhouse starting at RT.

Yeah after watching some more draft and combine stuff I think I'm leaning more towards Hargreaves then Lawson. The Giants have thrown a lot of money at the Dline and are paper thing at CB.

DRC is an all pro, Jenkins is a kid who needs to work on playing a full game of football but can be an all pro, but outside of those two there really isnt anyone at CB to come in and play when/if the injuries start hitting the team.

Hargreaves is a lock down corner and probably going to be a talent after a couple seasons of adjusting to the game.

If he makes it past Tampa Bay that is, from what I hear the Bucs are drooling over the idea of getting Hargreaves, Gints might have to trade up to get him.

You think Burns is gonna last until the 2nd round? Every mock I've seen recently has him going mid-late 20s.

I've seen him to Carolina, but I think Xavien Howard is the CB they draft. It would be nice to get Burns though