SportsWrath

Free Agency Thread

Mr. P

Okung is still negotiating with the Seahawks too from what I've read. Wonder if he was just on a FA trip to get his value as a negotiating tactic to stay in Seattle. Steelers signed someone and seem to have dropped from the Okung race. Giants still seem in on it...but are preparing to get out with the upcoming Penn visit.

QB hurries and sacks are typically more a function of the QB (and the play design) than the offensive line. Ironically, the OL often gets credit for low sack numbers, which should be credited to the QB, while the RB is often credited for good rushing statistics, which should more often be credited to the OL (I'm talking about you, Emmitt Smith).

And besides, often QBs that are very mobile have poor pocket presence. A much bigger factor than the QB's foot speed is his ability to manipulate the pocket and take advantage of what protection he is given. (This is arguably Eli's strongest suit.)

Okung to the Broncos, 5 year deal.

Former Seahawks offensive tackle Russell Okung told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that he's agreed to terms on a five-year deal with Denver worth up to $12 million per season.

That's not all. Rapoport was told that adding Okung means the Broncos will now attempt to trade fellow veteran tackle Ryan Clady.

Wow. Glad the Giants didn't do that deal. I was wrong... Thought Penn or Okung would be a Giant. We'll see how they address the line, now.

Agreed. I wanted Okung to play RT but he got LT$$ ...and at that price, no thanks. Still, we have two holes to fill on the OL.

I think we all pretty much expect some combination of Jerry, Jones, and Hart at RG. RT is the problem. Of course, if Hart steps up into a starting spot, we could always man the OG spots with Hart, Jones, Jerry and push Pugh to RT. I still like the infusion of youth and talent on the offensive line. I don't think the Giants should stop midway through their o-line rebuild.

Okung deal isn't that crazy; zero guaranteed dollars.

Offensive tackle Russell Okung signed a one-year deal worth $5 million with the Broncos that includes a four-year, $48 million team option, a source told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. With incentives, he can make up to $8 million in 2016, Rapoport added. However, the contract contains zero guaranteed money and he'll make the $5 million this season as he plays, meaning he would miss out on salary if he is injured, Rapoport added. The Broncos later confirmed the deal.