SportsWrath

Free Agency Thread

Mr. P

If we manage to sign Okung (which I'm guessing will be like $9-12M/Year) then Treadwell and Elliot are both seriously in play come draft time unless by some miracle Jalen Ramsey falls to 10.

If we manage to sign Okung (which I'm guessing will be like $9-12M/Year) then Treadwell and Elliot are both seriously in play come draft time unless by some miracle Jalen Ramsey falls to 10.

Pretty much what I was thinking, though I can't rule out a DE in the 1st. We only have JPP on a 1-year deal, OO hasn't shown anything to prove he's a starter (I know, he's only had 1 season)...so there may be a distinct benefit to drafting a DE this year. Further, it alleviates JPP's salary next year should he not be resigned for 2017.

It's awesome when you can use the draft to prepare yourselves in advance for when other players are about to hit free agency.

Pretty much what I was thinking, though I can't rule out a DE in the 1st. We only have JPP on a 1-year deal, OO hasn't shown anything to prove he's a starter (I know, he's only had 1 season)...so there may be a distinct benefit to drafting a DE this year. Further, it alleviates JPP's salary next year should he not be resigned for 2017.

It's awesome when you can use the draft to prepare yourselves in advance for when other players are about to hit free agency.

You can never rule out DE in the 1st with us.

The deal with Okung is really gonna shape how we attack the draft imo, because there aren't many free agent OL I'd want starting for us anymore... unless we're comfortable going the Andre Smith route. For me it's really Okung or a high draft pick to pair up with Hart on the right side.

As far as prepping for the future, we also have to start preparing at DT. This season is gonna be critical to get a good look at guys like Bromley since Hankins is a free agent next year. Maybe we look there in the draft too (Although I haven't paid any attention to DTs this year).

Kearse back to seattle. Sanu to atl. Jones to Detroit. Not a lot left

And Rishard Matthews to the Titans, Benjamin to the Chargers. Out of the guys that we all liked a lot they are pretty much all off the table. Who are you left with... well, there's Anquan Boldin... and... Rueben Randle.

Here's pretty much all the other notable names out there:

Jason Avant, Leonard Hankerson, Percy Harvin, Chris Givens, Andre Caldwell, Andre Holmes, Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Brandon Lafell, Ricardo Lockette, Keshawn Martin, Hakeem Nicks, Chris Owusu, Terrelle Pryor, Rod Streater, Brandon Tate, Mike Wallace, Nate Washington, and Roddy White.

Out of those guys I like Streater, and of course Nicks (but you can't really count either on being the #2, can you?) Roddy White and Andre Johnson are both intriguing, but I would guess both of their skills have diminished too far to make them a desirable option to start.

I think the Giant's are still thinking defense in the draft.

I can't see Lawson passing the Giant's if he falls, he's to much of a JR pick.

Elliot is interesting but MacAttack is a passing guy, he's picked up the bad habit from when McCarthy would throw the ball 55+ times a game.

Treadwell doesnt impress me in the slightest, he just doesnt seem like anything more then a guy who outran the slowest guy on the field or his guy fell down, but I aint no NFL scout.

This WR class is probably one of the weakest ones in a long time and I think the Giants are better off waiting till round two for WR help.

Like I said I think the only way the Giant's pick offence this year is if Lawson/Ragland are off the board before they pick, then it just might be Elliot.... if he makes it past the Cowboys/Eagles.

I think the Giant's are still thinking defense in the draft.

I can't see Lawson passing the Giant's if he falls, he's to much of a JR pick.

Elliot is interesting but MacAttack is a passing guy, he's picked up the bad habit from when McCarthy would throw the ball 55+ times a game.

Treadwell doesnt impress me in the slightest, he just doesnt seem like anything more then a guy who outran the slowest guy on the field or his guy fell down, but I aint no NFL scout.

This WR class is probably one of the weakest ones in a long time and I think the Giants are better off waiting till round two for WR help.

Like I said I think the only way the Giant's pick offence this year is if Lawson/Ragland are off the board before they pick, then it just might be Elliot.... if he makes it past the Cowboys/Eagles.

I don't even think Treadwell's a first rounder and maybe not even a second rounder. I wouldn't have him in my top 50 players and I would take both Josh Doctson and Michael Thomas over him without hesitation.

And Rishard Matthews to the Titans, Benjamin to the Chargers. Out of the guys that we all liked a lot they are pretty much all off the table. Who are you left with... well, there's Anquan Boldin... and... Rueben Randle.

Here's pretty much all the other notable names out there:

Jason Avant, Leonard Hankerson, Percy Harvin, Chris Givens, Andre Caldwell, Andre Holmes, Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Brandon Lafell, Ricardo Lockette, Keshawn Martin, Hakeem Nicks, Chris Owusu, Terrelle Pryor, Rod Streater, Brandon Tate, Mike Wallace, Nate Washington, and Roddy White.

Out of those guys I like Streater, and of course Nicks (but you can't really count either on being the #2, can you?) Roddy White and Andre Johnson are both intriguing, but I would guess both of their skills have diminished too far to make them a desirable option to start.

I think both those guys are done. I'm with you on streater but I really don't love him either. I'd love nicks back but I'd feel better with him as depth not as an every down player. That whole list is depressing

I don't even think Treadwell's a first rounder and maybe not even a second rounder. I wouldn't have him in my top 50 players and I would take both Josh Doctson and Michael Thomas over him without hesitation.

I'd love Doctson in the second round, even the third if he's still around (doubt it though).

The guy just catches everything around him, he'd be a starter in the slot day one.

I think both those guys are done. I'm with you on streater but I really don't love him either. I'd love nicks back but I'd feel better with him as depth not as an every down player. That whole list is depressing

Yeah it really is. However, and people may laugh, but we have some talent in the fold already that may reveal itself to be something special. I know we've gone over names like this in the past and nothing ever came of it, guys like Marcus Harris, Corey Washington, Ramses Barden, going back a ways to Jonathan Carter, Anthony Mix, or the unforgettable Duke Calhoun... but I wouldn't count out unheralded guys like Geremy Davis and Anthony Dable. My favorite is Davis, of course, because he's a pretty big target and incredibly strong, and seems like a nose to the grindstone kind of guy. I'm certain that the Giants will address the position at some point in the draft, also. But I hope it's not Treadwell.