SportsWrath

The search is on for the Giants next head coach

BleedinBlue

It's not like there are guaranteed future Hall of Fame coaches out there for the Giants to pick from, so they have a big job ahead of them.

The New York Post this morning lists 8 possibilities:

untitled.png

Ben McAdoo, David Shaw, Sean Payton, Doug Marrone, Josh McDaniels, Adam Gase, Sean McDermott and Hue Jackson

http://nypost.com/2016/01/04/pros-and-cons-for-8-giants-tom-coughlin-replacements/

They seem to like Sean Payton the most, but also say that it would require the Giants giving up a high draft pick (possibly a big name player) and millions of dollars to the Saints in exchange for his services.

Other sources are saying that the Giants are interviewing Spags and McAdoo this morning.

Nick Saban's name has been thrown around by some and according to sources, Saban has stated there are only two teams he'd be willing to listen to: the Giants and the Colts.

Anyway...I'm fretting about who they will make their next coach. I'd love to see Payton, but I don't want to give up high draft picks and/or one of our few stars to get him.

What do you guys think we should do...or what will happen?

I'm not sold on either of our coordinators, Spags or McAdoo, taking over as head coach. I like the idea of Sean Payton, but I'm not about to give up picks or a player for him. As for Saban, given the Colts job is no longer available, I'd interview him, but I heard that he'd want complete control of the roster which the Giants, I'd imagine, wouldn't want to give over. Perhaps something could be negotiated there, I don't know. I can't say, given Reese's issues in acquiring talent, that I'd be completely opposed to Saban and giving him some control...but I'd be wary of giving too much too early on for a college coach.

I'm not sure who I like the most at this point. I'm thinking that whomever it is, would need to be a combination of a fresh start while retaining an offense that is similar, but not the same, as the one we have been running the past two years given Eli's comfort/improvement.

No matter who we get...there will be start up issues.

I personally have no problem with McAdoo. He's young, but he's cut his teeth with the Packers (a class team) and has spent two years under the tutelage of Coughlin. As OC, he's put points on the board that put the Giants 6th in offense in the mix with Carolina, Arizona, New England, Seattle, and Pittsburgh. Our problem has not been putting points on the board...it's keeping points off the board for the opposing team. That is not on McAdoo.

I tend to think McAdoo could very well get the job. I believe they brought him in as OC to groom him for eventual head coach. He's younger than all other options - in some cases, by 20 years or more. So he has some growing to do, but he'll be a head coach somewhere and I wouldn't be surprised it is this year if the Giants don't choose him. His time with TC has to be a very positive thing.

Eli loves him and is on record that he wants him to be the next head coach. Also, Mara has said that he sees a lot of Tom Coughlin in McAdoo...a guy he didn't even know when TC grabbed him as his assistant.

I like Sean Peyton, but damn, I don't want to give up anything to get him.

The saints suck when they're not in that comfy dome. And his defenses are never any good. I really have my doubts about him in a cold weather city inheriting the 32nd ranked defense

That's my major concen too.

I just hope they don't rush the process. The Giants HC position far and away the best job available this off-season, maybe the best for several years, and they should shoot for the stars.

The very problem with McAdoo has been putting points on the board for two years running. His offense just barely gets the job done and that is not the sign of an offensive coordinator ready to take the next step. Anyone else think it is funny Cowher isn't on that list?

Reading the tea leaves, I think ownership wants both McAdoo and Spags to stay on, and will give both a fair shake, but I think they aren't necessarily inclined to just hand the job over to either of them. Also think that on "the list" is certainly Payton and Saban, and I'd hope that Josh McDaniels would be as well.

The very problem with McAdoo has been putting points on the board for two years running. His offense just barely gets the job done and that is not the sign of an offensive coordinator ready to take the next step. Anyone else think it is funny Cowher isn't on that list?

Actually, just the opposite. We are ahead of 26 other teams in offense. It's our defense that has sucked the life out of season. And the offense has purred without a legitimate TE and only average RB's behind a line that was starting Dallas Reynolds, Jerry Jones, and rookie Bobby Hart, at the end of the season.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

He's probably going to bolt Ohio St soon because all his underclassmen are declaring for the NFL

I wouldn't be so sure, OSU is his dream job. Urban Meyer is another Chip Kelly or Steve Spurrier. I'm not a believer that his ideas and philosophy will work in the NFL.

Off that list I like marrone

Sounds cliche but Gruden would fit in here and could keep macadoo,

Hmmm

I also like John Harbaugh is he leaves the Ravens...

Gotta get this one right. The wrong hire could set this franchise back a decade and waste Elis remaining prime.

Actually, just the opposite. We are ahead of 26 other teams in offense. It's our defense that has sucked the life out of season. And the offense has purred without a legitimate TE and only average RB's behind a line that was starting Dallas Reynolds, Jerry Jones, and rookie Bobby Hart, at the end of the season.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

Bleedin' I don't think we'd be 6th if there weren't so many QB injuries and problems in the NFL this year. Plus a lot of teams in QB transition like the Texans, Jets, Tennessee, Tampa, etc.

You look at teams that may have been higher than us on the list without key injuries like the Packers with Jordy Nelson, the Bengals would most assuredly be ahead of if not losing Dalton down the stretch. The Cowboys, the Colts, the Broncos, all losing their signal callers. Yes, I think we'd be in the top 12 or so. The Ravens losing Flacco (although I don't think they would be an offensive juggernaut anyway), and the Bears losing Cutler for a big part of the season, along with Alshon Jeffery and other weapons, too. I just think that the number we put up, 26.2 points, it's ok, not overly impressive to me. I do think the offense did pretty well between the 20's, and there are legitimate concerns with redzone efficiency and other areas offensively.