SportsWrath

The search is on for the Giants next head coach

BleedinBlue

Keenan Robinson is good and a free agent, but he's injured a lot as well. Trevathan from Denver is a MLB I hope we look at. Kelvin Sheppard from Miami too.

Damn it!!! :rules:

lol, this is the time where I summon you, Jim, and Fish to come up with names and analysis lol...

Head coach: Doug Marrone

Oc: Mcadoo

DC: Jim Shwartz

Spags better not be safe. It's one thing to bring in a new coach and be like can we keep Mcadoo for eli please?

You can't hire a guy like marrone and make him inherit Spags. You just can't. Mcadoo maybe. But if we get Payton he's gone be like fuck that and Payton wants nothing todo with Spags either.

Bottom line this is risky. Always risky when you fire a head coach but not the coordinators.

Eagles set up interviews with Doug Marrone, Teryl Austin

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/06/eagles-set-up-interviews-with-doug-marrone-teryl-austin/

I'm not big on Marrone. He was a player out of Cortland State football (about 8 miles from my home) and was average for a div III school. I was excited when he became head coach of Syracuse U. It was his alma mater and he said in interviews that it was his dream job that he always wanted and it was like a coming home party. He barely got started with the program and in his third year he bailed and took the head coach job at Buffalo - his first (and only) head coach experience in the NFL. Again, he said it was his dream job. After one season, he opted out of his contract and hasn't been a head coach since. He is currently the offensive line coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Something doesn't seem right with him. He never stays anywhere and after a year or two, has to move on. Don't know if it's inability to get along with the front office or if he's always looking for something different and needs to move on after a year or two.

I'm not big on Marrone. He was a player out of Cortland State football (about 8 miles from my home) and was average for a div III school. I was excited when he became head coach of Syracuse U. It was his alma mater and he said in interviews that it was his dream job that he always wanted and it was like a coming home party. He barely got started with the program and in his third year he bailed and took the head coach job at Buffalo - his first (and only) head coach experience in the NFL. Again, he said it was his dream job. After one season, he opted out of his contract and hasn't been a head coach since. He is currently the offensive line coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Something doesn't seem right with him. He never stays anywhere and after a year or two, has to move on. Don't know if it's inability to get along with the front office or if he's always looking for something different and needs to move on after a year or two.

He didn't play for Cortland State he coached the tight ends there. and I was also pissed when he left Syracuse but I can't blame him for taking a NFL head coaching job. and I can't blame him for opting out there, they put the opt out in his contract because they knew the team was going to change ownership. and yes he hasn't been a head coach since, which is a grand total of one season.

He is one of my favorite candidates.

I'm with you guys. I didn't even think of the marrone/schwartz team but I think that'd be a great fit. The New York/Syracuse background doesn't hurt their chances either

Not sure how closely you follow Syracuse football, but they have not been a powerhouse football team for half a century and are rarely listed in the top 50 programs in the country. I'm a huge SU fan, but I'm realistic and understand that football is not their forté. They rarely are able to get a 3-star recruit while schools in the SEC and PAC 10 routinely put a dozen 5-star players on their roster each year. There is usually an unsung player who breaks out and becomes good enough to go the NFL, but the program has a long way to go to be ranked in the top 25 and churn out NFL players left and right like some schools.

Marrone might make a good NFL coach. But he seems to have a very short attention span and is looking to move on to another job almost as soon as he gets a new one. Stability and sticking it out doesn't seem to define Marrone. And that doesn't seem to fit into the Mara philosophy of building long term relationships between head coach, general manager, and the owners.

But who knows. Maybe if he comes to the Giants, he'll finally decide to stick it out instead of jump at the next opportunity that comes up. The fact that he got the head coach job of the Bills and always wanted to be a head coach in the NFL, and left after one year is just plain weird to me. Especially considering there was no team wanting him.

As far as free agent names, we had another thread here where we discussed some guys.

I think they need to get at least 3 impact players in free agency, and they should be a pass rusher, safety, and wide receiver. Depending on what happens with Prince, you add CB to the mix.

I think there is a pretty good chance the Giants sign Eric Weddle to play FS and I think they should. Eric Berry is another name that is high on the list but I think he stays in KC. There is about a 0% chance Weddle plays in San Diego next year, though.

I definitely think they should get Vinny Curry from the Eagles. He's a good pass rusher that would fit right in here and presumably wouldn't require a mega-contract to get him signed.

At receiver, a few names I like are Jermaine Kearse, Mohamed Sanu, and Marvin Jones. All would be good compliments opposite OBJ.

For corner, if they let Prince walk they should get Janoris Jenkins from the Rams. He's a very good corner who might even be an upgrade over Prince even when healthy, but I suspect he will command a hefty sum.

But all these names have been discussed on this board by other guys, but these are the guys I really like.

Not sure how closely you follow Syracuse football, but they have not been a powerhouse football team for half a century and are rarely listed in the top 50 programs in the country. I'm a huge SU fan, but I'm realistic and understand that football is not their forté. They rarely are able to get a 3-star recruit while schools in the SEC and PAC 10 routinely put a dozen 5-star players on their roster each year. There is usually an unsung player who breaks out and becomes good enough to go the NFL, but the program has a long way to go to be ranked in the top 25 and churn out NFL players left and right like some schools.

Marrone might make a good NFL coach. But he seems to have a very short attention span and is looking to move on to another job almost as soon as he gets a new one. Stability and sticking it out doesn't seem to define Marrone. And that doesn't seem to fit into the Mara philosophy of building long term relationships between head coach, general manager, and the owners.

But who knows. Maybe if he comes to the Giants, he'll finally decide to stick it out instead of jump at the next opportunity that comes up. The fact that he got the head coach job of the Bills and always wanted to be a head coach in the NFL, and left after one year is just plain weird to me. Especially considering there was no team wanting him.

I know Syracuse isn't a powerhouse. I'm just saying I don't think his roots hurt him. He's a local guy

You can' really talk free agency unless you address your own free agents first.

JPP - I offer a 3-year deal, hinged largely on incentives with the 3rd year voidable by both parties. I'd think total in the 25-27 mil range with 10 mil guaranteed. Again, with incentives that could increase that figure. And I'd leave that offer on the table for exactly 5-7 days at the start of free agency. If he wants to check with other teams, fine...just know that the offer here in NY is decreasing thereafter. It'll force him to show his team and his fans that he's serious about football and serious about the Giants and mistakes of the past are just that, past.

Prince - I resign him at whatever the going rate is for a starting CB. This is the move that needs done before others.

Ayers - This one is a tough call. He played well on a really shitty defense. It's like you want to resign him, but at the same time, you don't know that it's the best move.

McBride - I sign him to a vet minimum kind of deal. He's a decent lower string CB.

Fells - vet minimum offer, no more

Tye - give him the long term deal at a reasonable contract. He's showed promise, but he hasn't set the league on fire either.

Darkwa - vet minimum deal for what's essentially a 2nd or 3rd string RB

Brinkley - liked his play at LB for the most part...so you give him a deal, but certainly nothing to write home about

J. Brown - he's kicked well and should have another year or two in him.

Wing - he's a good punter, lock him up on a multi-year deal.

Jenkins, DeOssie, Selvie, Randle, Hosely, Mosely, Reynolds, Kuhn, Dahl, Donnell, White, Jackson, Harris, Nicks, Cunningham, Gettis, Aiken, Maponga, Jacobs, Cofield, Meriweather, Johnson, Ott can all go.

JPP - I offer a 3-year deal, hinged largely on incentives with the 3rd year voidable by both parties. I'd think total in the 25-27 mil range with 10 mil guaranteed. Again, with incentives that could increase that figure. And I'd leave that offer on the table for exactly 5-7 days at the start of free agency. If he wants to check with other teams, fine...just know that the offer here in NY is decreasing thereafter. It'll force him to show his team and his fans that he's serious about football and serious about the Giants and mistakes of the past are just that, past.

Prince - I resign him at whatever the going rate is for a starting CB. This is the move that needs done before others.

Ayers - This one is a tough call. He played well on a really shitty defense. It's like you want to resign him, but at the same time, you don't know that it's the best move.

McBride - I sign him to a vet minimum kind of deal. He's a decent lower string CB.

Tye - give him the long term deal at a reasonable contract. He's showed promise, but he hasn't set the league on fire either.

Brinkley - liked his play at LB for the most part...so you give him a deal, but certainly nothing to write home about

Jenkins, DeOssie, Selvie, Randle, Hosely, Mosely, Reynolds, Kuhn, Dahl, Donnell, White, Jackson, Harris, Nicks, Cunningham, Gettis, Aiken, Maponga, Jacobs, Cofield, Meriweather, Johnson, Ott can all go.

Pretty reasonable, but Fells will be lucky to ever walk again from what I hear. His career is over.

I would not let Harris go. He's one of the few bright spots on this team. He's worth every penny we spent on him.

Then you just resign yourself to the fact he will be playing elsewhere next season. I think some team is going to pay him about $9 mil per or more. I think if he wants to try and re-establish his value, then it's possible he could re-sign here on a one year deal. And then something between $8-$9 mil makes more sense. But I believe that he believes he can still get a big deal, maybe not Suh money, but my guess is he is going to as for a deal for $12 mil or more per.

As far as Prince goes, that's going to be tough. I think he's going to price himself out of NY. I don't believe the Giants are going to give him close to what he is going to want. That's why I believe the Giants may be better off spending a little more and getting Jenkins.

I think ayers should be a priority. He's a number 1 pick in his prime who just bloomed late. He's kind of a gift cuz he'd be locked up right now if he played well right away in Denver.

I'd take Jenkins back too. Mcbride' market value might be higher than vet min cuz slot corners who can play are hard to find. I'd like to have him back

Jpp can go unless he's cheaper than I expect he'll be. I think we all saw enough missed tackles replays to settle that "does having a hand matter?" Debate that this board was having a few months ago. I know he'll have more surgeries but whether or not that allows him to actually grab people is a big mystery

Jpp can go unless he's cheaper than I expect he'll be. I think we all saw enough missed tackles replays to settle that "does having a hand matter?" Debate that this board was having a few months ago. I know he'll have more surgeries but whether or not that allows him to actually grab people is a big mystery

My opinion is that he will eventually play without that cast and when he does I think he'll still be a tremendous defensive weapon. I'd rather he be that for us than some other team. And even with the cast, I know he wasn't racking up sacks, but at times he was really getting pressure and you could still see that he was playing at a different speed than the other guys on the defense. The explosion is still there. Yes, I think he should recognize his market value isn't and won't be what it was had he not had the accident, but especially since the Giants are in desperate need of pass rushers, you have to be pragmatically aggressive in trying to bring him back. You aren't going to find J.J. Watt in free agency. That we should be able to get JPP at a discount is a very good thing. I think if the Giants do get him back, people are going to be upset at the money, but for me, I think he will eventually outplay whatever deal he gets. He's an All Pro type of talent and you have to be careful when you let a guy of that caliber walk out the door. And yes, I do think he'll be able to grab. Again, if you try to grab someone without your thumb or index finger I think you'll find you'd be able to do that very easily and with good strength.

Then you look at the defense and realize we need impact players at all levels. I wouldn't think twice about spending heavily here.

DE - you could argue we need two. I would make a play for Wilkerson, Branch, and/or Vernon. This, in addition to JPP.

LB - There are lots of options out there this offseason. I think we need to come home with two of them. Guys like Von Miller, Bruce Irvin, Danny Trevathan, Chad Greenway, Courtney Upshaw, etc. are all free agents. Again, we need impact guys and there should be no reason not to pay for them.

CB - We need a solid Nickel CB. DRC and Prince are the starters, but it's almost as if teams need 3 starting quality CBs these days in the pass happy NFL. Boykin from Pittsburgh, Norman from Carolina, Jenkins from St. Louis, etc. I don't know that you need a top shelf CB to man your 3rd spot, or that one would come to the Giants to do so, but there are guys to be had and I think the Giants need one desperately.

S - We need a FS to couple with Collins. Weddle is the top guy it seems, but he's 31 and he'll cost. We sent Rolle packing years ago and he didn't cost what Weddle will. I'd be happy with a Gipson given he's only 25. Robert Golden from Pittsburgh or even bringing Thurmond back from Philly would all be better moves in my opinion.

WR - We need a running mate for OBJ. Cruz will be restructured and have the chance to be that guy, but we need to be prepared if he's not. Sanu, Kearse, or Rishard Matthews from Miami...again, we don't need to entertain bringing in #1 WRs...but definitely need a guy who can beat a 1 on 1 situation on a fairly consistent basis. Hell, he doesn't even need top end speed, but a guy in the mold of Steve Smith who can just find holes in the defense to sit down and be a possession guy to pair with OBJ, our homerun hitter.

And then we draft for depth behind our starters. I think a TE in the draft, a continued devotion to the DLine and OLine, another CB, maybe a RB, and another S.

Bleedin I think he was talking about Marcus Harris, the wide receiver, who was placed on IR before the season. Dwayne Harris is still under contract for another few years.

Oh...if that's the case, hell yeah! Cut Marcus and move on.

Dwayne Harris is a bargain and a breath of fresh air on this team.

Yes, I was referring to Marcus Harris, the WR...not Dwayne Harris, the WR/KR/PR.

And yes, I'm resigned to letting JPP walk, especially given we could likely use that money towards a guy like Wilkerson, Vernon,, etc. But, I wouldn't want to see JPP go somewhere else, recover, and play to the ability he displayed early in his career. So I offer him the contract and see if he wants to do it here. On essentially a 2 year deal, that gives him the opportunity to set himself up for another big payday before he turns 30. I don't know that it'd be too bad of an idea for him.

As for Fells, switch him and Donnell then. Given the amount of work on defense and the need for a #2 WR and Tye coming on at the end of the year, I tend to downplay TE this offseason...but we need to fill out the depth chart cheaply.

You're not going to get all those guys even with our cap room. And in your scenario you re-signed Prince and JPP first.... that would take a chunk out of what we are able to spend. If you do that, you can maybe get Wilkerson and Weddle, Berry, or Tashaun Gipson. That's it. Then you have to have some money to sign your draft picks and round out the roster with mid-tier free agent guys.

To me if you bring Prince back you aren't paying significant dollars for a third CB. There's just no way to make that feasible under the cap, and it would be a bizarre way to allocate resources. You just bring back McBride or another modestly priced free agency and perhaps address the position in the draft.

FS is where I'd put a priority on spending some significant dollars. Then pass rusher... but my hope is that we would get Curry on a reasonable deal but I suspect there will be a healthy market for his services. The latest skinny is that he's already been offered an extension from Philly. I don't know why he would accept an offer without knowing who the next coach is and what system they would run, because he belongs in a 4-3, and the current DC has them in a 3-4. I think we could get Curry at 5 years for a $6-$7 mil per avg deal, and I think that's a strong contract but one I think he has a good chance of outplaying.

Honestly, I haven't read up on what room we have vs going rates by position. But, I guess my point is that the Giants should take advantage of the cap space they have an don't be controlled by their fear of signing the big name free agent. Too, that there are guys available at the positions we need.

It will be interesting to see how balls-to-the-wall Reese goes in efforts to save his job.