SportsWrath

The search is on for the Giants next head coach

BleedinBlue

Honestly, I haven't read up on what room we have vs going rates by position. But, I guess my point is that the Giants should take advantage of the cap space they have an don't be controlled by their fear of signing the big name free agent. Too, that there are guys available at the positions we need.

It will be interesting to see how balls-to-the-wall Reese goes in efforts to save his job.

I definitely expect a big splash and maybe two. They need to hit on the draft, but they can't count on the draft to fix the numerous holes, particularly on defense.

I've seen estimates in the range of $50 million. That's an easy 3-splash offseason...DE, LB, CB/S. The draft could yield another DE, WR, OLine, LB, and CB/S.

This offseason, more than any other, will shape the end of the Eli Manning era of NY Giants football. Let that sink in for a minute.

Overthecap has them at $45.5 mil of space for 2016. Not sure if that includes the approx $11 mil they should be able to carry over from this year.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Reduce that by about $16-$18 mil if you sign JPP & Prince. They may be able to do a little better than that, particularly if they can defer money.

Reduce by another $8 mil for draft picks and having some wiggle room for the season.

The remaining Giants' free agents they may resign, I'm not sure how I would estimate that. But I would say they could easily devote $18-$19 million in free agency, probably more when structuring deals to defer money as well as the possibility that they could have about $10-$11 mil more in cap room then what is listed. With that kind of money they should be able to get a top FS as discussed before and a good pass rusher. A moderately priced guy that could be good here and is a UFA is Denver's Derek Wolfe. 5.5 sacks in 12 games. Not elite production but is a good player who could be a nice compliment, and is the right size/prototype for what the Giants like for their defensive ends... 6'5", 285. Again, he'd be a rotational guy but he's well respected and is a tough player. Giants could use him all over the line. I think a signing like him a hopeful pass rusher with the 10th overall pick, and JPP, maybe bring back Ayers... and hopefully we get something from Owa next season, and you can go to war with that.

I don't believe the NFL has yet to determine the annual expanded cap space for next season yet. Supposed to be in the vicinity of 5 - 10 million extra. I imagine none of that will come out until after the Super Bowl is over.

So we should have more than 45 million and change. I think people who throw around the 50 million have assumed a 5 million expansion.

Let's not forget about restructures to Beatty and Cruz that could provide additional cap room.

I'm also not sure that the cap room stated includes guys like Beason who may be signed for 2016, but are likely to be cut outright.

There will be some money freed up through cuts and restructures. Eli has always stepped up to the plate for a restructure to help the team.

Might be a little early into Eli's extension to ask for a restructure....

Hahah yeah they aren't going to ask him to restructure before he even hits the first year of the extension they just signed him to.

You sure it's not 2pm local (CST)?

now they are saying 3PM

Ralph Vacchiano Retweeted Evan Woodbery

3 pm ET ... Think Sean Payton's future might come up?

Ralph Vacchiano added,

Evan Woodbery @TheSaintsBeat
#Saints say Sean Payton press conference has been moved back one hour to 2 p.m. CT.
4 retweets1 like
Retweet
More

Odds from onlinegambling.lv for next Giants HC:

David Shaw: 4/1

Steve Spagnuolo: 6/1

Teryl Austin: 10/1

Ben McAdoo: 14/1

Bill Cowher: 25/1

Interesting that Spagnuolo has better odds than McAdoo. I think the Giants will go balls to the wall in FA. Reese knows his feet are in the fire also.

So, to reiterate: I'm told #Saints & HC S. Payton are holding the press conference to announce a new contract for him, per a source. #NFL

When has the last time a team held a press conference to announce a new contract for their entrenched coach?

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 52s52 seconds ago

After days of deliberation, I'm told that #Saints coach Sean Payton isn't going anywhere. He and GM Mickey Loomis agreed he's staying. Wow

Odds from onlinegambling.lv for next Giants HC:

David Shaw: 4/1

Steve Spagnuolo: 6/1

Teryl Austin: 10/1

Ben McAdoo: 14/1

Bill Cowher: 25/1

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 55m55 minutes ago

#NYG coaching odds from @BovadaLV:

Josh McDaniels 5/2

Steve Spagnuolo 3/1

Ben McAdoo 7/2

Hue Jackson 7/1

Doug Marrone 7/1

Sean McDermott 8/1

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 55m55 minutes ago

#NYG coaching odds from @BovadaLV:

Josh McDaniels 5/2

Steve Spagnuolo 3/1

Ben McAdoo 7/2

Hue Jackson 7/1

Doug Marrone 7/1

Sean McDermott 8/1

Wow. They have not said anything about a scheduled interview for McDaniels, right?