SportsWrath

The search is on for the Giants next head coach

BleedinBlue

Bleedin' I don't think we'd be 6th if there weren't so many QB injuries and problems in the NFL this year. Plus a lot of teams in QB transition like the Texans, Jets, Tennessee, Tampa, etc.

You look at teams that may have been higher than us on the list without key injuries like the Packers with Jordy Nelson, the Bengals would most assuredly be ahead of if not losing Dalton down the stretch. The Cowboys, the Colts, the Broncos, all losing their signal callers. Yes, I think we'd be in the top 12 or so. The Ravens losing Flacco (although I don't think they would be an offensive juggernaut anyway), and the Bears losing Cutler for a big part of the season, along with Alshon Jeffery and other weapons, too. I just think that the number we put up, 26.2 points, it's ok, not overly impressive to me. I do think the offense did pretty well between the 20's, and there are legitimate concerns with redzone efficiency and other areas offensively.

No doubt we had problems. But with a rebuilt O-Line and the loss of Beatty, Cruz, and our TE's - not to mention, a lackadaisical attitude by Randle and the bust of Andre Williams...McAdoo did pretty good with what he had to work with.

The point is, offense is not nearly the problem with this team as the defense. Offense we were 6th out of 32, defense we were 30th out of 32. Of course, anyone who watched the games this year are well aware that our defense sucked.

Bleedin' I don't think we'd be 6th if there weren't so many QB injuries and problems in the NFL this year. Plus a lot of teams in QB transition like the Texans, Jets, Tennessee, Tampa, etc.

You look at teams that may have been higher than us on the list without key injuries like the Packers with Jordy Nelson, the Bengals would most assuredly be ahead of if not losing Dalton down the stretch. The Cowboys, the Colts, the Broncos, all losing their signal callers. Yes, I think we'd be in the top 12 or so. The Ravens losing Flacco (although I don't think they would be an offensive juggernaut anyway), and the Bears losing Cutler for a big part of the season, along with Alshon Jeffery and other weapons, too. I just think that the number we put up, 26.2 points, it's ok, not overly impressive to me. I do think the offense did pretty well between the 20's, and there are legitimate concerns with redzone efficiency and other areas offensively.

Like turnovers.

Actually, just the opposite. We are ahead of 26 other teams in offense. It's our defense that has sucked the life out of season. And the offense has purred without a legitimate TE and only average RB's behind a line that was starting Dallas Reynolds, Jerry Jones, and rookie Bobby Hart, at the end of the season.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

Don't get sucked into the statistics man, they outright lie or tell half truths. Rueben Randle scored 8 touchdowns and you would think he had an incredible season.

There are many problems with the offense when it comes to scoring. Use your link and take a look at the scary side of the offense like Red Zone Scoring. The RB's are average and how they were used all season was criminal.

If you look at average points scored per offensive drive we are 8th in the NFL at 2.03. Not bad, we should aspire for better. Btw, Panthers lead in this statistic at 2.40, Cardinals 2nd at 2.37, Patriots 3rd at 2.34. I wouldn't have guessed Panthers would lead this statistic.

We are also 8th in % of offensive drives ending in a score at 38.2%. We are squarely in the middle of the league in % of offensive drives ending in a turnover... 16th in the NFL. Eli is also 16th in percentage of passes intercepted, at 2.2%. Brady leads the NFL at 1.1%.

9th in the NFL in FG's made.

We are 22nd in the NFL in 3rd down efficiency: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

(we regressed from last year in this area).

In terms of Red Zone scoring percentage (TDs only), we are 29th in the NFL, at 44.44%. Tied with Dallas. That's terrible. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

These kinds of problems are why this season wasn't all on the defense. You know, everyone looks at the big stats... points per game, total yards per game. But if you watched the games, you could see there were problems with the offense that contributed to the losses, and these latter stats tell the story. In addition to us not running the ball well (19th in the NFL in rushing yards, 18th in yards per attempt, 30th in rushing TDs with 5), you knew that we had problems converting 3rd downs, and you knew we settled for FGs far too often in the red zone. If they fixed just that last stat... we'd have won the division even with the defensive problems we had. It's unacceptable to be that poor in Red Zone efficiency with Eli Manning at QB. Part of that is play calling and part of that is on Eli.

Just waiting until 5 seconds to snap the ball with 2 minutes left would have won the Giants 4 games or more. When your D is struggling having 30 second drives is a disaster. This is the same issue Kelley caused with the Eagles.

No doubt we have areas to improve in the offense - especially in the red zone and in "3rd n shorts". But getting Beatty back and a new right guard as well as Cruz back - we have a really potent offense.

We need to overhaul our entire defense starting with a couple of sack-type DE's, a good free safety, and a couple of stud linebackers.

I am in the camp of giving McAdoo a shot at the helm. He is destined to be a head coach for the next 30 years somewhere...and I'd just as soon see him with the Giants.

We let an offensive coordinator go once because he was too young and unseasoned. His name was Vince Lombardi

We let a defensive coordinator go who was also a life long Giant as a player because he was "not ready". His name was Tom Landry

We let another defensive coordinator go who had "no head coaching experience". His name was Bill Belichick

Even Tom Coughlin came up through the ranks as a Giants offensive coordinator before taking his first job as head coach of a last place team in Jacksonville before coming back to the Giants as head coach.

I really believe it is in the best interest of the Giants to hand the reigns over to McAdoo. Otherwise we have 2 years of junk play as Eli has to learn an entirely new system and get acclimated with a new football language and nomenclature. And he's already on the same page with McAdoo where there is mutual respect and understanding.

No doubt we have areas to improve in the offense - especially in the red zone and in "3rd n shorts". But getting Beatty back and a new right guard as well as Cruz back - we have a really potent offense.

We need to overhaul our entire defense starting with a couple of sack-type DE's, a good free safety, and a couple of stud linebackers.

I am in the camp of giving McAdoo a shot at the helm. He is destined to be a head coach for the next 30 years somewhere...and I'd just as soon see him with the Giants.

We let an offensive coordinator go once because he was too young and unseasoned. His name was Vince Lombardi

We let a defensive coordinator go who was also a life long Giant as a player because he was "not ready". His name was Tom Landry

We let another defensive coordinator go who had "no head coaching experience". His name was Bill Belichick

Even Tom Coughlin came up through the ranks as a Giants offensive coordinator before taking his first job as head coach of a last place team in Jacksonville before coming back to the Giants as head coach.

I really believe it is in the best interest of the Giants to hand the reigns over to McAdoo. Otherwise we have 2 years of junk play as Eli has to learn an entirely new system and get acclimated with a new football language and nomenclature. And he's already on the same page with McAdoo where there is mutual respect and understanding.

That is a point in history that cannot be corrected if it could be by a decision to make McAdoo or Spagnuolo a head coach tomorrow. McAdoo and Spagnuolo have shown little to drawn the comparison to others and honestly only being done because they were Giants.

Eli Manning is more than capable of learning another offense, hopefully a more effective one.

For what it's worth we were 16th in offensive dvoa and 30th in variance which means we were ridiculously inconsistent week to week

we were probably just one OBJ injury away from being ranked 32 on Offense and 32 on Defense ........thanks Jerry !

That's an interesting name to be thrown in the mix and he seems to have some loose ties to the Giants. We're just going to have to ride it out on the seat of our pants while chewing our nails down to nubs until we hear the word come down from above. Not a comfortable feeling at all. Our input is meaningless in the big picture.

That's an interesting name to be thrown in the mix and he seems to have some loose ties to the Giants. We're just going to have to ride it out on the seat of our pants while chewing our nails down to nubs until we hear the word come down from above. Not a comfortable feeling at all. Our input is meaningless in the big picture.

Media does a good job with naming names. There are so many more guys they will name next week as they become available when their teams get knocked out of the playoffs.

I cant see the Giants hiring a college guy.

Mara gave every impression about wanting to "Win now" with Eli and CO at Coughlins press conference.

They are going to want to bring in a guy who can turn this thing around as fast as possible and try to push another post season run before Eli decides to hang them up.

Now if they were gonna blow the whole thing up (which by all accounts they are not gonna do) I could see them bringing in a college guy and letting him build "his team" for the next number of years.

Plus hiring college guys isnt Mara's MO.

I wouldn't be so sure, OSU is his dream job. Urban Meyer is another Chip Kelly or Steve Spurrier. I'm not a believer that his ideas and philosophy will work in the NFL.

Some people think he left Florida not because he was burned out, but because the talent left. Ohio St is his dream job, but if Kelly ever left Notre Dame and they came calling he might listen