SportsWrath

Observations and General Ranting

NightFire

not sure about reese but gilbride is coughlin's guy and a reflection on him. he didn't want him gone. i don't blame coughlin for not being happy with the current situation. i did want gilbride gone but this entire process with mcadoo has kind of undermined coughlin's authority imo

Maybe Coughlin isn't the best at picking talent... sometimes a young fresh mind beats an old seasoned one... His past picks of 2 horrible DCs speak volumes

Wouldn't call Fewell horrible and judging Fewell this year isn't too terribly fair given what he has to work with, primarily in the secondary. Fewell isn't the best, but he's not the worst either.

I know we all like to compare him to Spags...but the more I think about Spags, the more I think he just hit the timing spot on in our case. He came in and we had the tools set up for him to use. Spags was innovative with the blitzing, but we had the guys to pull it off.

I'd love to see next season, some innovation brought in to really see what we have with JPP-Hankins-Bromley-Moore. Whether that innovation/creativity comes from Fewell or someone else, I don't really care.

McAdoo current system is a hybrid of what was here and what he brought here from everything I've read. I tend to think that they should have just let him run his system given the existing one was 'broken'. Lack of a running games makes us one dimensional...that'll kill any team, as will poor offensive line play. Further, guys we had weren't necessarily built for a short passing game type of offense.

So, when the offense sputters, of course the defense is on the field longer and it snowballs. But I think that the point to be made here is that the offense is every bit as much a work in progress as it was projected to be during the preseason and the 3 game winning streak there was more an aberration...maybe not an aberration, maybe a sign of things to come that many thought was more than just a sign...that things were already here. And to add on to the defensive woes, we spent the offseason shoring up the secondary and every one of our starters as well as our backups are just about done for the year, with DRC being the last one standing (barely).

So, a promising, but far from being there, offense added to an injury-riddled defense and it makes for a shitty season.

Wins against Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Washington...shit, I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm not sure we're beating Washington... they beat Dallas and they can get in Eli's face more successfully.

When its 3rd and long, how many options do you really have?

I would hope more than a slow RB. I'd rather try a quick screen if there is too much pressure than a Hillis run. As far as I am concerned that's a fuck it let's get to sidelines and rest play.

they both made it a point to go out to the media and call out the offense in the media last week. it's not typically how they operate publicly and when you consider that mcadoo was an ownership move it doesn't surprise me that they would be subtly distancing themselves from him. my guess is that coughlin has no immediate plans to retire. meanwhile his bosses fired his guy and installed a new one complete with rumors that he'd be tom's successor. it doesn't seem like everybody in that organization is on the same page

Another reason why I think Cheerleader is retarding the offense... Coughlin likes to come off that he lets his OC run the show... but those run calls have his hands all over them...

Another reason why I think Cheerleader is retarding the offense... Coughlin likes to come off that he lets his OC run the show... but those run calls have his hands all over them...

To be fair to cheerleader, his hand was stuck in is sock this last game.

That's two games now where those worthless run calls really pissed me off, so fucking predictable.

I'd just like to point out to those consistently blaming the defense for this shit season. The Giants have yet to score an opening possession touchdown. I'm not sure if they've even scored an opening possession field goal. It's not all on the offensive side of the ball, but imposing your will on teams tends to set the tone for the rest of the game. And the offense doesn't scare anyone, mainly because they can't get out of their own way.

You just can't win when you have no identity and no heart.

When its 3rd and long, how many options do you really have?

If we have to run a conservative give-up play, I'd rather see some form of screen pass. Its not a bad time for a bubble screen if the defense is playing conservative too. And hell, run some 9s up the sideline and toss one up to whichever WR is singled up. I have zero problem with INTs deep down field on 3rd and long.

I'd just like to point out to those consistently blaming the defense for this shit season. The Giants have yet to score an opening possession touchdown. I'm not sure if they've even scored an opening possession field goal. It's not all on the offensive side of the ball, but imposing your will on teams tends to set the tone for the rest of the game. And the offense doesn't scare anyone, mainly because they can't get out of their own way.

You just can't win when you have no identity and no heart.

Our defense lays down like dogs... at least with the offense we knew it's McAdoo's first season and we have shit for talent outside of Eli and ODB who's a rookie mind you... RB is out...Cruz is gone for good and he isn't shit without a solid #1 on the other side... the OL stinks... etc. The defense even when healthy... still couldn't get off the field... maybe if they made stops, they wouldn't be on the filed so damn much... Now there's a bright side... we need Moore to add a few lbs... and the thought of JPP, Hakin, Bromely, and Moore as our starters comes next year puts my mind at east (I'm hopeful I guess)... the DBs.. we have a solid bunch who for whatever reason dropped like flies this year... but we have a good group... at least on paper. That leaves the LB position... a healthy Beason is great but now we know that will never happen... aside from McClain.. we have no one and that's where the focus should be comes offseason... and yes we need a new DC... fewel sucks regardless of players being healthy or not..

It feels like the period 1991-1999 ( having won 2 Championships in the previous 5 years ) ......and then only managing to win the NFC East once in the next 9 seasons ( and only making the playoffs twice )

I suppose winning 2 Superbowls takes its toll on any NFL team ( unless you are the Patriots of course ). We are due a spell in the wilderness i fear

It feels like the period 1991-1999 ( having won 2 Championships in the previous 5 years ) ......and then only managing to win the NFC East once in the next 9 seasons ( and only making the playoffs twice )

I suppose winning 2 Superbowls takes its toll on any NFL team ( unless you are the Patriots of course ). We are due a spell in the wilderness i fear

Its the salary cap management after winning a championship that kills teams. Everybody gets pay raise.

If we're going to point fingers and place blame, I'd hold Fewell more culpable than McAdoo moving forward. Reasons being:

1. McAdoo has literally one NFL-caliber receiver on the roster playing, and zero NFL-caliber backs. Williams might develop into a nice back, but he's sure as hell not one right now.

2. When McAdoo had healthy backs and receivers, the offense was actually pretty decent, albeit against total shithole teams.

3. Yeah there's been injuries on defense too, but Fewell's defense still sucked when he had the "best defensive backfield in the NFL," and we've got a large enough sample size to know moving forward that on his best days, he's a B- to C+ coordinator.

If I was gonna fire one of them, it'd be Fewell, even though overall as a unit, the offense has been worse than the D.

Its the salary cap management after winning a championship that kills teams. Everybody gets pay raise.

I've always said this is the biggest problem for teams, then if you notice, many of them just become average after getting their money.

If we're going to point fingers and place blame, I'd hold Fewell more culpable than McAdoo moving forward. Reasons being:

1. McAdoo has literally one NFL-caliber receiver on the roster playing, and zero NFL-caliber backs. Williams might develop into a nice back, but he's sure as hell not one right now.

2. When McAdoo had healthy backs and receivers, the offense was actually pretty decent, albeit against total shithole teams.

3. Yeah there's been injuries on defense too, but Fewell's defense still sucked when he had the "best defensive backfield in the NFL," and we've got a large enough sample size to know moving forward that on his best days, he's a B- to C+ coordinator.

If I was gonna fire one of them, it'd be Fewell, even though overall as a unit, the offense has been worse than the D.

There was a period of 2, maybe 3 weeks where the offense was decent. Afterward, the scheme looked totally different for whatever reason.

You simply can't win when you're punting the ball 8 times in the first half and you have zero points on the board, either. How are you supposed to play defense when you're off the field for maybe 2 minutes of game clock every possession? When you're punting from your one and Weatherford hits a boomer to your own 40 yard line? You're literally sacrificing points and time of possession; spotting them at least 3 points and making the game shorter---and harder on yourself.

There was a period of 2, maybe 3 weeks where the offense was decent. Afterward, the scheme looked totally different for whatever reason.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It started looking like the old offense right at the end of the three game win streak. Eli had a damn good game that week and the Giants won, but everyone was healthy, and the pocket, for once, was clean.

I'm not sure thats entirely on McAdoo though, I think Eli got a little too comfortable and fell back into some old habits. And now the team is decimated by injuries, so who the hell knows what we really have on offense. If a couple of those WRs don't turn out to be keepers then this season is completely shot - neither contention or development for the future.

(...Except for ODB, but this team needs a hell of a lot more than one wide receiver. )

Yeah, I noticed that too. It started looking like the old offense right at the end of the three game win streak. Eli had a damn good game that week and the Giants won, but everyone was healthy, and the pocket, for once, was clean.

I'm not sure thats entirely on McAdoo though, I think Eli got a little too comfortable and fell back into some old habits. And now the team is decimated by injuries, so who the hell knows what we really have on offense. If a couple of those WRs don't turn out to be keepers then this season is completely shot - neither contention or development for the future.

(...Except for ODB, but this team needs a hell of a lot more than one wide receiver. )

The team isn't as bad as its record once you factor in injuries... yes injuries are part of the game but with the Giants they ALWAYS seem to be a huge part... that I pin on coaching and conditioning... coaches rush players from injury, run them to the ground when healthy, and our conditioning is notorious for being stuck in the Reagan era.

While I'm as miffed as the rest here... the "half full" side of me says we have a bright future at the DL and CB spots... Moore can and should put on a few more pounds in the offseason... and with some hands on experience this year, he can be a force with JPP... I trust Hankin and Bromely will make us not even look at Suh come offseason... Focusing the draft on adding another young OL who can contribute right away, a TE in the 2nd (I like Donelle but I'm not sure he's the future... even then we need another TE anyway)... the LB spot HAS TO BE ADDRESSED this time around.. no ifs ands or buts...

Our Draft should go like this

-BPA.. as long as long as he's an OL

-BPA either TE or LB

-BPA either LB or TE..

-BPA available thereafter...

As far as FA, I think the Giants should aggressively pursue Dez Bryant... not just is he a beat and full of fire.. taking him away from Dallas is an added bonus. Another must have in FA is a stud LB who can cover TEs and stuff the gaps... I don't know who will be available in FA maybe BB25 can fill us in...

Then that and McAdoo has another year under his belt and we're cooking.

Jennings being hurt this long is killing us. He brought balance and rhythm to the offense and Williams/Hillis haven't been able to pick up the slack. That's partly on them and partly on the oline but we can point to Jennings' Injury in the Atlanta game as the point where the wheels started to come off. Since then it's been nothing but stagnant play and losses.

Jennings being hurt this long is killing us. He brought balance and rhythm to the offense and Williams/Hillis haven't been able to pick up the slack. That's partly on them and partly on the oline but we can point to Jennings' Injury in the Atlanta game as the point where the wheels started to come off. Since then it's been nothing but stagnant play and losses.

Look at the bright side... Williams is learning from his mistakes... he has the attributes to become a great NFL running back...

Being a Giants Defensive Coordinator has to be the most bullet-proof position in the world. You can fuck up at historic levels in multiple seasons, and fans will clamor for the head of the Offensive Coordinator.

Not that the offense has shown any level of competency, but that doesn't mean the defense is showing anything.

Being a Giants Defensive Coordinator has to be the most bullet-proof position in the world. You can fuck up at historic levels in multiple seasons, and fans will clamor for the head of the Offensive Coordinator.

Not that the offense has shown any level of competency, but that doesn't mean the defense is showing anything.

8 punts in the first half is all you need to know about Monday night's game.