SportsWrath

support for Gilbride

Bigblue25

Giants' Tom Coughlin voices support for Kevin Gilbride

By Ed Valentine @bigblueview on Dec 16 2013, 4:41p 34

Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY

Giants' coach Tom Coughlin was asked about Kevin Gilbride, Eli Manning and his struggling offense numerous times Monday. He voiced confidence in Gilbride and the system he runs.

New York Giants' coach Tom Coughlin made it plain on Monday that offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride still has his support despite the struggles of the offense this season. Sunday's shutout was the second for the Giants this season and third in 17 games. There were also, of course, those five Eli Manning interceptions.

Asked if he still had faith in the offensive coaches, Coughlin said "yes, oh yeah."

Coughlin said "that's exactly right" when asked if Gilbride's offense should work if the proper pieces were in place.

MUST READS

It's all Kevin Gilbride all the time

Do not take that to mean Coughlin believes everything is fine and dandy with the offense.

"I certainly see what everyone sees and in greater detail than perhaps you do," Coughlin said. "It certainly hasn't been a connect-all-the-dots from day one type of year. Kevin's a pro, he's been around, he's done this a long time. We try to find ways to take advantage of things. It hasn't been easy."

Coughlin recognizes that Manning is not playing well enough, but his comments again reinforced the idea that it isn't just Manning, or Gilbride, at fault for the mess the Giants' offense has become. He said he believes Manning can eventually return to playing championship-caliber football.

"I think its probably going to come in small gains, but I believe it will come. I really do," Coughlin said. "Dont forget, he doesnt operate on his own. The whole package has got to be there."

We know, certainly, that it hasn't been. Most likely everyone knows that

SBNU v1.4.3, November 5, 2013

Guiding Principles Terms of Use Privacy Policy

© 2013 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved

All Systems Operational Check out our status page for more details.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/12/16/5217512/new-york-giants-tom-coughlin-kevin-gilbride-eli-manning

"Gilbride's offense should work if the proper pieces were in place."

That's the difference between an average and a good coordinator. An average one can come up with a scheme that works if he has the right players. A good coordinator changes his scheme to fit the players that he has.

While Coughlin's decision not to lay the offensive struggles 100% upon the shoulders of one Kevin Gilbride is admirable, he should also be careful to whom he hitches his horse. Undoubtedly, Gilbride needs to go, as does his system. It's been apparent for longer than just this season, and it's embarassing that it's taken this long for the serious questioning to begin. If Coughlin wants to go with him, all he needs to do is bind himself to Gilbride a little more.

Coughlin isn't going to throw a coordinator under the bus during a press conference.

Stop.

This. I think Coughlin is a class act. You guys calling for his head on a platter need to think about going from the frying pan into the fire. There's nobody out there who is proven and a better coach than the one you have now. We'll see what happens to Gilly in the offseason, my money says he's gone.

Guys you really have to learn from history... Take a look at the 2006 season when Hufnagel and Lewis get fired and we went 8-8 that year.

Giants assistant coach Hufnagel won't call plays

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Tom Coughlin relieved offensive coordinator John Hufnagel of his play-calling duties on Tuesday, just four days before the New York Giants face an almost must-win game against the Washington Redskins to make the playoffs. Quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride, a former offensive coordinator with the Houston Oilers, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and Buffalo and a head coach with San Diego, will call the plays on Saturday night in Washington.

Hufnagel, who was hired as the coordinator after Coughlin was hired in 2004, will continue in an administrative role with the offensive staff. He will likely part ways with the team after the season. He was not at practice on Tuesday.

"John Hufnagel is not a scapegoat here," Coughlin said after practice. "He is not. But we need a change, we need a spark, and that's the way it goes. How can you look at the production of Sunday and not think that, OK, there's some issue here?

Giants fire defensive coordinator Lewis

Despite having been interviewed by Miami Dolphins officials earlier this week for the team's head coach vacancy, New York Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis was dismissed Thursday in what could be the first of several moves on coach Tom Coughlin's staff.

It had been rumored for the past few weeks that Lewis' position might be in jeopardy. It is believed, in fact, that Lewis' status was a major part of the organizational meetings that took place earlier this week between Coughlin and Giants ownership.

New York statistically ranked No. 25 in total defense in 2006, and the unit -- which suffered through a spate of injuries -- struggled down the stretch, as did the team in general.

Lewis, 45, had been with the Giants since 2004, when Coughlin brought him aboard as part of his first staff in New York. He was, in fact, the first assistant coach hired by Coughlin after accepting the Giants job.

There will be some changes on the staff.

Carl Banks was saying the same thing. Do any of you Coughlin haters have the balls to tell Carl to his face he is dead fucking wrong? Didn't think so.

i'll tell him. he's a public figure, he won't touch me. he's also not right about everything just because he played football 30 years ago

why throw the coordinators under the bus when you can always just blame the players for not executing your brilliant gameplan

Ba-Bump... I am so sick of that word execution...should be limited to capital punishment around Giants Land... Yeah the Poles would have stopped those Panzer Divisions if only if they had better execution of the plan... :P

Ba-Bump... I am so sick of that word execution...should be limited to capital punishment around Giants Land... Yeah the Poles would have stopped those Panzer Divisions if only if they had better execution of the plan... :P

Reporter to Bucs Head Coach John McKay- What do you think if your team's execution?

McKay- I'm in favor of it.

i'll tell him. he's a public figure, he won't touch me. he's also not right about everything just because he played football 30 years ago

This...while I agree with most of what Carl Banks says...he is not my twin, clone or little g god... Coughlin can go...just as Joe Torre was eased out after bringing championship ball back to the Yankees... (a team I hate but you have hand it to a good manager) ...then Coughlin can definitely be either kicked upstairs or given his gold watch. With Coughlin its either been a Supe win or nothing... its time for a change... and if it means two years of mediocrity before a critical mass is gathered again for another 5-7 year playoff run then so be it. Been watching Giants football for a long time and I can deal with a few down seasons to make sure we get back to dominance. Otherwise lets just become the Dallas Brokebacks and continue to talk about Brokeback Glory days that ended 20 years ago...

We all have opinions... Carl Banks or not.

I read the article. The vibe I got wasn't necessarily that he thought replacing Killdrive was a bad idea, but that the Giants shouldn't expect that to be a magic bullet... There's more to it than just the offensive coordinator.

I read the article. The vibe I got wasn't necessarily that he thought replacing Killdrive was a bad idea, but that the Giants shouldn't expect that to be a magic bullet... There's more to it than just the offensive coordinator.

Fair. I'm just dismayed some would dismiss our opinions as though football is rocket science.

I for one am a Gilbride supporter. I'm sorry, this offensive line is fucking horrible. I've never seen Eli get sacked and hurried as much as he did this year.... And we couldn't run for shit either. I say we improve the line, before we go trying to fire our 2 time offensive coordinator.