SportsWrath

support for Gilbride

Bigblue25

The offense is awful. He has got to go.

Yes, the offensive line play has been substandard to say the list. But Peyton Manning has basically a bum off the street playing left tackle since week 2 and he is getting it done. And why? Because his offense is designed for a receiver to quickly get open, and the ball to get out quickly. The other players run picks to get the correct player the ball.

Our offense has not been this abysmal just because of terrible offensive line play. And you can't say that the Giants have had a difficult time running the ball. Early in the season yes, but that's not a good excuse now. Eli is throwing one way, the receiver is running the other. Why? Because they are fucking confused about what to do! And this is ALL FUCKING YEAR! We are in week 16 for the love, and these guys still aren't getting on the same page as the QB.

I've watched a lot of football this year. A LOT. There is not a SINGLE NFL TEAM with a QB with the pedigree, skill, and accomplishment of Eli Manning that has struggled in this modern NFL. Only the Jets and Jaguars are scoring less points per game than the Giants. And give me a break with the 2 rings... the DEFENSE was the strength of both of those teams, the offense was just good enough then... it won't win anymore. With Eli Manning, one of the most hard working, studious QBs in the NFL, and he is not on the same page with his receivers at this point in the season? WE CAN'T PASS WITHOUT TURNING THE BALL OVER THREE OR FOUR TIMES A GAME, AND WE HAVE A $100 million QB!!! Gilbride's time is fucking up! I can't agree with Joe more, that I'm totally on board with Coughlin coming back... but not with Gilbride. And if Gilbride DOES come back, and he doesn't make MAJOR changes to the whole offensive philosophy, then I will be firmly on the fire Coughlin bandwagon. Gilbride's offense SUCKS. I don't give a shit about what happened 6 years ago or 2 years ago. This offense today is an embarrassment. A complete embarrassment given that the deficiencies are so obvious, but there has been no real improvement over the course of the season.

Yes, it's personnel, that is part of it. But how anyone can say that it isn't also a terrible scheme? That I cannot abide.

Agreed! It's a scheme the rest of the league has totally figured out and clearly, Gilbride has no counter moves left in his repertoire. I've heard speculation the last few weeks from guys on the Sirius NFL station that defenses have a pretty good idea of what we're doing based on down, distance, formation and field position. DB's have been sitting on and jumping our receiver's routes all season! They are on our guys all over the field like a good defensive player guards his man in the NBA! It's like they are covering ME (62 years old and 10 LBS overweight) and not receivers who have won Super Bowls and been in the Pro Bowl!

Then our Offensive Line can't block nearly long enough for our slow (or never) developing pass plays and lucky Eli is the one who gets to hold the ball while all this is happening! It's a clusterfuck and you're right, Jim - NO team in the NFL is getting less out of what they have to work with right now than us.

There are so many problems on this team that it's the very definition of "death by a thousand cuts."

However, so much going wrong at once is only throwing a magnifying glass on Gibride's average schemes and bizarre play calling. These problems go back several seasons, (check out this old NYT article about the Giants/Eagles playoff loss) but now that there's no horses to run it's even more obvious. Reese's pickups and drafts have been horrible, and I'd expect these Giants to be bad for a long time, but I don't see any other choice but to let Gilbride go... he's been square pegging this team since he's been here.

I mean, you guys aren't honestly suggesting that we keep him, even though we know he sucks? Joe Bugel and Mike Martz have Super Bowl rings too and I don't exactly see teams clamoring to pick those guys up.

Last time Gilbride wanted to really showcase what he could do, he threw 40 passes into 50mph headwinds while his running game was averaging 6 yards per clip. Stunningly, it didn't land him the Raiders job.

The guy is too rigid. Kind of reminds me of Tim Lewis where "if you didn't get the playbook, it was your fault."

And like Tim Lewis, it's time for him to go.

My brother... coaches that are all about me and my system need a three year lifespan maximum...especially if they are on losing teams and/or non-playoff teams.