SportsWrath

Tiki Barber: Why don't people like me, Ronde?

Herc

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1339340

Ex-NY Giants star Tiki Barber asks twin brother Ronde Barber: Why don’t people like me?

The former NFL running back had his brother, Ronde Barber, as a guest on his CBS Sports Radio show Monday morning and asked his newly-retired twin why nobody likes him. Ronde blamed New Yorkers.

Comments (32)

BY BERNIE AUGUSTINE/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: THURSDAY, MAY 9, 2013, 12:45 PM

UPDATED: THURSDAY, MAY 9, 2013, 5:39 PM

ronde10s-2-web.jpg

MICHAEL APPLETON/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tiki Barber’s twin brother Ronde (l.) plays 16 seasons for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and announces his retirement on Wednesday.

RELATED STORIES

inform.jpg

He publicly ripped his quarterback, questioned his coach and flamed-out in his quest to become the next Matt Lauer when he stepped away from football despite clearly having some gas left in the tank.

But despite all of that, Tiki Barber still doesn’t understand why people don’t like him.

The former Giants running back had his brother, Ronde Barber, as a guest on his CBS Sports Radio show Thursday morning and asked his newly-retired twin why nobody likes him.

“Why do so many people like you, but don’t like me,” Tiki asked his brother before a commercial break.

Coming out of the commercial, Brandon Tierney asked Tiki, who hosts “The Morning Show” with Tierney and Dana Jacobson, to reset the question for the audience and the guest.

bears-giants-football.jpg

KATHY WILLENS/AP

Tiki Barber, seen here at his induction into the Giants Ring of Honor in 2010, has a strained relationship with the Giants and their fans.

“Why do so many people like Ronde and dislike me,” Tiki asked a second time.

Ronde, who had time to think about his answer, blamed New York fans for his brother’s bruised public image.

“That’s a great question. (It’s) probably because you live in New York and I don’t know if New Yorkers like anything more than loving their stars than hating them,” Ronde offered as an explanation. “They look for faults and exploit them, or failures and exploit them and it’s a national story when it’s up there.”

There may be some truth to that observation, but Tiki’s behavior certainly didn’t help matters. In 2002 he called team captainMichael Strahan greedy during his contract negotiations with the Giants. Then in 2006 he announced his plans to retire in October and angered fans by continually taking shots at Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning the following year while working as an analyst for NBC. There are also his personal indisgretions — he left his pregnant wife for an NBC intern, who he is now married to. In a 2011 Sports Illustrated profile, Barber compared his hiding from the media after his relationship was made public to Holocaust victim Anne Frank hiding from the Nazis.

Giants fans let Barber know how they felt about him in 2010 when he was booed during his induction into the team’s Ring of Honor. Barber, who is arguably the greatest running back in Giants history, smiled amid the chorus of boos.

And he wonders why fans don’t like him?

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...0#ixzz2Sqc7HC4I

I don't like everything he's done, but I like him as a Giant. Most people that don't like him probably be would not like to be judged in the public forum for the worst things they've done, either. Tiki has made mistakes, but far be it for me to judge.

There may be some truth to that observation, but Tiki’s behavior certainly didn’t help matters. In 2002 he called team captainMichael Strahan greedy during his contract negotiations with the Giants. Then in 2006 he announced his plans to retire in October and angered fans by continually taking shots at Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning the following year while working as an analyst for NBC. There are also his personal indisgretions — he left his pregnant wife for an NBC intern, who he is now married to. In a 2011 Sports Illustrated profile, Barber compared his hiding from the media after his relationship was made public to Holocaust victim Anne Frank hiding from the Nazis.

Giants fans let Barber know how they felt about him in 2010 when he was booed during his induction into the team’s Ring of Honor. Barber, who is arguably the greatest running back in Giants history, smiled amid the chorus of boos.

And he wonders why fans don’t like him?

This. Plus he announced his retirement midway through the season so that we could have eight weeks of the Tiki Barber sendoff.

We don't like you because you're a self-serving, insufferable douche.

Very good running back, lousy person. Who tried to be a tv personality, which he undercut by his actions.

Everything he did after his Giants career (and you could argue since the last year of that career) showed a complete disregard of the people around him. Not really something you want to do while in a spotlight.

I used to love the guy once he got rid of the dropsies. But Tiki did everything wrong at the end of his career. You couldn't script a worse ending to a career where he could have been idolized. Bitching about Strahan and his contract. Whining about everything and especially his outspoken dislike of Eli and Coughlin. It left a sour taste in my mouth. I was still hoping he'd have a good career on TV, but no sooner did he get a job on the air, he left his wife in her 8th month of pregnancy (carrying his twin girls) for a 22 year old pinup girl that he married all of 8-days after the divorce...I lost all respect. Don't hate him...just think he's a fool for the way he handled his life when he had a chance to be idolized as a New York hero.

Eh, Tiki was a good player who turned out to be an ass. I'm sure that fits 90% or better of the NFL these days. Talking about teammates, bitching to coaches while on the team, bitching about coaches after retiring, whining amount teammates, screwing over his first wife when she was pregnant with his kids, and even now, whining about how nobody likes me....all points to being self centered. That's not something that's imagined by fans, rather something that's been proven by none other than Tiki himself.

Generally speaking, people don't like self centered, pompous people who think that they're somehow better people. A strong dose of humility and recognition of those that got Tiki to where he was would've gone a long way. So yeah, I appreciate his talens as a football player and his accomplishments there, but they're overshadowed by his being a prick in virtually all other areas of his life.

Still one of my favorite Giants. I think Ronde is sort of right saying "New Yorkers" hate him....I don't think a lot of actual New York Giants FANS hate him, though....he was a beast on the football field and I couldn't care less what he did off. The publicly ripping of Coughlin and Manning was tacky, but at the time, I don't think I could have disagreed with a lot of what he said. People want to hate for personal indiscretions have no fucking clue and apparently have never made a mistake in their own lives. Fuck them.

Still one of my favorite Giants. I think Ronde is sort of right saying "New Yorkers" hate him....I don't think a lot of actual New York Giants FANS hate him, though....he was a beast on the football field and I couldn't care less what he did off. The publicly ripping of Coughlin and Manning was tacky, but at the time, I don't think I could have disagreed with a lot of what he said. People want to hate for personal indiscretions have no fucking clue and apparently have never made a mistake in their own lives. Fuck them.

It's not about making a mistake... we all do. This smug fuck still wonders why people don't like him... wow. On the filed he was great... outside of that he's a jerk.

It's not about making a mistake... we all do. This smug fuck still wonders why people don't like him... wow. On the filed he was great... outside of that he's a jerk.

If every mistake you made went public, no one would like you, either.

I can think of someone else as being a prick AND admit that I'm a bit of an asshole too. Furthermore, if I'm an asshole to you and you choose not to appreciate it and find fault in my being an asshole, I completely understand that. To go one step further, if I'm an asshole to you, I've generally already decided that I don't care what you think to begin with and as such, sleep well at night being an asshole to you.

The difference between me and Tiki (on being an asshole) is that I know I can be and that I recognize it in my own behaviors. Tiki seems to think he's above being a dickhead and quite frankly, he heads the class in many ways.

If every mistake you made went public, no one would like you, either.

oh god... hey Michael Strahan was famous too... he wasn't a jerk... Shit Eli Manning is far more famous and has taken on more shit than this jerk...

I can think of someone else as being a prick AND admit that I'm a bit of an asshole too. Furthermore, if I'm an asshole to you and you choose not to appreciate it and find fault in my being an asshole, I completely understand that. To go one step further, if I'm an asshole to you, I've generally already decided that I don't care what you think to begin with and as such, sleep well at night being an asshole to you.

The difference between me and Tiki (on being an asshole) is that I know I can be and that I recognize it in my own behaviors. Tiki seems to think he's above being a dickhead and quite frankly, he heads the class in many ways.

True, but as a sports star, I can think of a whole lot worse cases than Tiki. Lawrence Taylor is one, I guess he's not going around asking why people dislike his behavior, though. I just think as a Giant and a guy I grew up watching, I prefer to judge him by his deeds on the football field rather than the last couple years of his career and his personal life. He was the sole offensive threat on a lot of those Giants teams.

oh god... hey Michael Strahan was famous too... he wasn't a jerk... Shit Eli Manning is far more famous and has taken on more shit than this jerk...

Well, a lot of people don't like Eli because he refused to play for San Diego....I'm not going to hate him for it, but I can obviously see the difference between these guys and Tiki....

I like Tiki as a player, team mate and he isnt the worst sports corespondent out there.

However I think where he went wrong is that he was basically the face of the NY Giants while he was here, he carried the offense and by most he was the "leader" of the team. When he retired he was the "King" so to speak of the NY Giants, everyone loved him and had a Tiki jersey. However then he went to the media and stated his opinion on the team and it was bitch slap to any Giants fan out there.

Here's this guy you cheered on, who you looked at as a Giant for life, who will go down as an all time Giant great, laying into and insulting the organization from the top down.

He hurt New Yorkers and is history has shown us anything, you don't scorn New Yorkers.

Well, a lot of people don't like Eli because he refused to play for San Diego....I'm not going to hate him for it, but I can obviously see the difference between these guys and Tiki....

He's not a smug asshole... huge difference.

I like Tiki as a player, team mate and he isnt the worst sports corespondent out there.

However I think where he went wrong is that he was basically the face of the NY Giants while he was here, he carried the offense and by most he was the "leader" of the team. When he retired he was the "King" so to speak of the NY Giants, everyone loved him and had a Tiki jersey. However then he went to the media and stated his opinion on the team and it was bitch slap to any Giants fan out there.

Here's this guy you cheered on, who you looked at as a Giant for life, who will go down as an all time Giant great, laying into and insulting the organization from the top down.

He hurt New Yorkers and is history has shown us anything, you don't scorn New Yorkers.

Hence my moniker of Me Me Barber...frankly Tiki is pretty clueless...and his brother is not that naive. We can see the brotherly love there...what is he supposed to say publicly...my brother shat the bed and smothered the Golden Goose with his clueless egoism...? And the difference between him and LT is that though off the field LT is clearly an addict as well as a convicted felon...however he has only expressed love for the Giants and the fans who supported him. Awful hard to hate a guy who helped to bring in two Supes...while never publicly bashing his team, the organization nor the fans. There are some things better left unsaid. Like when you break up with a girl...even if she was a bitch...what good is it to declaim it across a FaceBook page? Just move on.