SportsWrath

I'm starting to get worry about the defense...

NeMesiS

Dammit Nem, atleast wait till tomorrow to post something like this.

But you are correct the defense is worrying, you cant help but think if the Browns didn't have a 29 year old rookie QB we might not of had such an easy time with that game

I might not even activate Sash at this point and scout the pratice squads and free agents to see who I could pick up at DE to help get some pressure. Tuck/Osi/JPP just aint doing it.

Yeah, it's a problem. More than the sacks there isn't any pressure. Whether it's making adjustments or our front four simply stepping up and beating the guy in front of them they have to get on track. There isn't an easy game on the schedule from here on out and the quality of quarterback only gets better.

Hopefully the DL has been saving up a can of Whoop ass for Alex Smith by running a ho hum Pass rush so far all year........ of BTW before you open your mouth this week Osi I would say Trent Richardson Found Plenty-o-candy.....we are just lucky Bradshaw found a lot more. Bradshaw is not running next week like he did today. We will need an OL stone wall and a DL Blitzkrieg next week I believe.

I've been really disappointed in Tuck so far. The only motor he seems to have is the one running his mouth this season.

This team won the Super Bowl, and some of the players are acting like they are playing with house money, now. You're not seeing the same hunger out of this team.

Right now Tuck doesn't deserve that 'C' on his chest. Give it to Boley, at least he's putting the effort in and doing it the right way, and to me, has been the most Eli-esque in terms of leadership for the defense.

JPP is getting doubled and chipped and getting his legs taken out... and you would expect teams to do that to the best pass rusher on an opponent. But Tuck and Osi have to make them pay by taking advantage of their one on one's, and they aren't.

Part of this is that teams are designing plays to neutralize the pass rush. Cleveland had a great screen game yesterday, and all year teams are going to a quick passing game... 3 step drop and the ball is out. We did get a good number of batted passes at the line by everyone yesterday, which was good to see.

My hope is that when Canty returns he will be the tonic to this frail pass rushing attack.

But overall, I'm happy with the win, and correct me if I'm wrong, but did Amukamara play another stellar game yesterday?

Hosley's return will also help. Love that guy, he's going to be a great player for us.

Overall, if you really look at that game, we gave up 7 points off the Bradshaw fumble deep in our own territory. That's not a big indictment of the defense, although the hole Richardson exploited was like the Red Sea parted for him.

The next score was a deep ball from Weeden to Gordon that was a perfectly thrown ball, and a blown coverage, with Chase Blackburn trying to cover a wide receiver deep down the field. Stevie Johnson said it was his fault, but Rolle was also late getting over with help, which I'm not sure how much Rolle realistically could've done on that play.

After that, other than a garbage time TD against a unit that had a lot of backups playing, we allowed 6 points.

I think while the defense was imperfect, they weren't as bad as you might think looking at the score or even having watched the game.

We'll get guys back in the next few weeks and they will help. Hosley, Coe, Rivers, Rocky Bernard, Canty, and hopefully Phillips in 2 weeks rather than 4 or 5.

Those are a lot of bullets in our gun that are missing right now, and I know the defense is going to get better if and when we can return to relatively full health.

Wow. Can't believe I'm sayin this but jack is right. Browns OLine is pretty solid. Joe Thomas is a beast holding down on Tackle side.

But there really isn't any pressure from tuck and Osi. Which sucks. Don't know why they don't put kiwi on a blize package.

Thomas was totally bitching JPP. That guy deserves all his Pro Bowl trips.

I think the biggest reason the sack count is down so much is simply because Fewell isn't Spags. When Spags ran the defense, it was "do whatever it takes to get to the QB". And that just isn't Fewell's style. If there is anyone to point fingers at, it's Fewell IMO.

Spags really spoiled us. We should have jumped on him when St. Louis fired him and brought him back before Noo Awlins grabbed him. Spags was the perfect compliment to TC.

If you'll recall, we had the same lack of pass rush for much of last season, too. They didn't start living up to their rep untill that now famous final push. There were also problems with injuries in the secondary and the many new names struggled to figure things out and keep up. It was a mess and everyone was calling for Fewell's head......then one day, right after Victor Cruz went 99 yards, it sudenly began to come together and from that point on, they did nothing but get better and better each week.

I see the parts coming together again but it's going to take some time and there will be some adversity along the way. Problem is, the schedule ahead is less forgiving than last year but if they can stay close enough to have control of their own destiny down the stretch, this will be a battle tested bunch that nobody wants to play.

I think the biggest reason the sack count is down so much is simply because Fewell isn't Spags. When Spags ran the defense, it was "do whatever it takes to get to the QB". And that just isn't Fewell's style. If there is anyone to point fingers at, it's Fewell IMO.

Spags really spoiled us. We should have jumped on him when St. Louis fired him and brought him back before Noo Awlins grabbed him. Spags was the perfect compliment to TC.

The thing I liked about Spags is that when other team scored, it felt like they deserved to score....sometimes I'm sitting there with Fewell thinking WTF???.......that deep touchdown when Blackburn was trying to cover a wideout is a perfect example.

To their credit, the Browns have a great line.......Joe Thomas is probably the best OT in the league. But after falling behind 14-0, seems like the defense woke up.

Still, I agree......the Giants need to take more chances on defense....they have the offense that can put up points. They should have been stuffing the box against Richardson going with a steady run-blitz all game.

The thing I liked about Spags is that when other team scored, it felt like they deserved to score....sometimes I'm sitting that with Fewell thinking WTF???.......that deep touchdown when Blackburn was trying to cover a wideout is a perfect example.

To their credit, the Browns have a great line.......Joe Thomas is probably the best OT in the league. But after falling behind 14-0, seems like the defense woke up.

Still, I agree......the Giants need to take more chances on defense....they have the offense that can put up points. They should have been stuffing the box against Richardson going with a steady run-blitz all game.

I think its a pretty safe bet that Rolle was supposed to be on Morgan, not Blackburn by his lonesome. Rolle is covering nobody on that play.

The thing I liked about Spags is that when other team scored, it felt like they deserved to score....sometimes I'm sitting that with Fewell thinking WTF???.......that deep touchdown when Blackburn was trying to cover a wideout is a perfect example.

That play with the deep touchdown was actually a mistake by Stevie Brown who missed his assignment. He was distraught after that mistake, but Rolle put his arm around him and told him to shake it off and forget it. Brown said he'd make it up somehow and he sure did make it up. Read all about it here: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/promise_kept_0BlYctbabtvXH6gGyPGimJ?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Giants

I like Blackburn, but he spent too much time watching the action from his back while laying on the field. He has some good moments, but has too many bad moments as well. I predict that in about 2 weeks, Herzlick will replace him as starter.

That play with the deep touchdown was actually a mistake by Stevie Brown who missed his assignment. He was distraught after that mistake, but Rolle put his arm around him and told him to shake it off and forget it. Brown said he'd make it up somehow and he sure did make it up.

I like Blackburn, but he spent too much time watching the action from his back while laying on the field. He has some good moments, but has too many bad moments as well. I predict that in about 2 weeks, Herzlick will replace him as starter.

Oh, it was Brown? I might have just assumed it was Rolle.... one of the safeties was all by himself, nobody else around him, running like hell behind the play. Somebody fucked up, thats for sure.

Oh, it was Brown? I might have just assumed it was Rolle.... one of the safeties was all by himself, nobody else around him, running like hell behind the play. Somebody fucked up, thats for sure.

Yeah, I edited the post to include the link. Blackburn did everything in his power to run the guy down, but had no chance. It was all on Brown. Here's the link reposted: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/promise_kept_0BlYctbabtvXH6gGyPGimJ?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Giants

Coughlin on D-line: 'We didn't touch the passer again'

• By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Oct. 8, 2012 at 03:07 p.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 8, 2012 at 04:01 p.m.

Last year's Super Bowl run for the New York Giants was characterized by clutch play down the stretch from quarterback Eli Manning and late-season dominance from the team's deep defensive line.

Manning has picked up where he left off, but the Giants aren't rushing the passer with much success in 2012. Their eight takedowns rank 24th in the NFL and New York failed to register a sack in Sunday's 41-27 win over the Cleveland Browns.

Somebody made the mistake of asking coach Tom Coughlin if he's content with the play of his linemen.

"How can we be satisfied? We didn't touch the passer again," Coughlin said, according Paul Schwartz of the New York Post.

Justin Tuck told Newsday he's frustrated with the lack of production and floated a theory: Opponents have caught up with how the Giants operate.

"Like I said last week, we'll just continue to pound it and guys are figuring us out so we've got to do some different things and try to free up our guys," Tuck said. "I don't think it's about effort or anything like that, I feel as though it just isn't going our way right now. But we don't make any excuses about it -- we'll just continue to try and get it right."

This team is one year removed from ranking second in the NFL with 48 sacks. They've dealt with a few injuries and players such as Tuck aren't getting any younger, but the league has seen Big Blue cohere late in the year on two title runs over the past five seasons. Opponents have learned not to count them out.

On the Giants morning talk show they were talking about moving JPP back to the right side. I totally agree. From left to right it should be Tuck, Bernard, Austin and JPP. Rotating Osi in on 3rd downs to Tackle, Tuck in at tackle and Kiwi in the left spot with JPP at his right side end. I would like Osi off the field for 1st and 2nd downs.