SportsWrath

Coughlin vs Parcells

Nas

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/bill-parcells-tom-coughlin-best-coach-ny-giants-history-start-debate-article-1.1088905

Extra:

Yahoo reported that the Saints kept a ledger of weekly earnings for players in their bounty program and one of them was for $1,000 for a “cart-off” in a 2009 game against the Giants. There was no mention of the Giants player or the injury.

The accomplishments by both coaches are easily enough to compare the two. If you want to declare a better coach, I give the edge to Parcells for the sole fact that his coaching tree is MUCH more extensive than is Coughlin's. Add to that the fact that Coughlin is part of Parcell's coaching tree and I think that that alone gives Parcells the edge when comparing the two.

IF Coughlin develops his assistant coaches in the way that Parcells did...AND wins a 3rd SB...then and only then, in my opinion at least, will the disciple surpass the teacher. Of course, this won't be known until years down the road when Coughlin's assistants over the years can truly be evaluated.

The Giants have a great history of developing great coaches. In the 50's, Vince Lombardi was the offensive coordinator and Tom Landry the defensive coordinator. Both went on to be the best coaches in the game. And of course, Parcells was the Giants defensive coordinator and then defensive coordinator and LB coach for the Giants before becoming a head coach. Bill Belichick spent over 10 years in the trenches of the Giants in various positions such as special teams coach, assistant defensive coach, linebackers coach, and defensive coordinator before going on to a head coaching position. And of course, TC was the Giants Wide Recievers coach for a couple of years before moving on to a head coaching job.

Lombardi, Landry, Parcells, Belichick, Coughlin all came up through the Giants system in various coaching positions before going on to become head coaches. Five of the best head coaches of all time...and they cut their teeth with the Giants.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that Lombardi and Landry were the offensive and defensive coordinators during the same years while wearing Giants blue. To me that's amazing.

But to answer the original question: Probably Parcells as he was head coach of the Giants for about 10 years and groomed both Coughlin and Belichick during those years. TC and Belichick made their own fortunes by learning the trade under the tutelage of Parcells. I'm not sure that any of the coaches under TC or Belichick will go on to have such successful careers. I had hopes for Spags, but don't think that is going to happen now.

I wasn't old enough to know football when Parcells was around... I hear he was a great coach and I'm not one who compares 2 of anything without everything else being equal. I say both are very good coaches and will leave it at that.

I'll take Coughlin.

It's easy to look good when you're DC is Bill Belichick... Parcells hasn't won a single playoff game without him. Not one.

But who recognized Belichick's talent as a coach and who brought him in as an assistant? Don't think that Parcells didn't have a lot to do with that decision.

If I wanted to turn a team around fast, I'd take Parcells definitely. He has an uncanny ability to use what he has. We all thought of him as a defensive guru back in the 80's. Then, in prior years, he was more offensive minded. Truth is, he assess talent already on the team and schemes around that.

If I wanted to build a team from the ground up, I'd take Coughlin. He is more of a "I have a system" coach and he doesn't compromise too much on that system. In the long run, his way is more sustainable.

And character wise, Parcells needs to be the center of attention. I don't think he ever let his assistants speak to the media.

But things sure are fun when he's around. Whereas Coughlin shuns the attention and is happy to stay boring.

I'll take Coughlin.

It's easy to look good when you're DC is Bill Belichick... Parcells hasn't won a single playoff Superbowl game without him. Not one.

Fixed

Niether has Coughlin.... :LMAO: :LMAO:

Guest StrahansGap

Well, I can tell you one thing. I think it's safe to assume that if Coughlin left the Giants or was fired.....he most definitely would NOT coach the Patriots, or the Jets or the Cowboys for Christ's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :F-U: :puke: :Smiley_StirringShit: :030: :jerkoff: :BullShit-1: :furious: :rules: :jagoff:

It be an interesting boxing match. :girlfight:

Its unfair to make the comparison and pick the better coach at this point. I'm glad we picked up Coughlin and stuck with him. I doubt there is another NFL coach who could have done better.

Im just glade non of us are in The front office or TC would have been gone a long time ago

not me man, you could search every post i've made on here and won't find one indicating i want coughlin gone.

Im just glade non of us are in The front office or TC would have been gone a long time ago

To be fair he did shit the bed and presided over epic collapses... yea he has 2 rings but let's not pretend we didn't get ulcers watching our team being lost out there... Any fan watching this team would have at some point was so livid at coaching he'd wanna fire each one of them.

Parcells body of work is still better than Coughlin's. He's put every team in the playoffs and frankly every team buys into his system.

He's won zero playoff games sans Belichick, and only took one team to the playoffs without him.

On the other hand, Coughlin brought those Jaguars teams to the championship game a few times with the Dick Jaurons of the world, and won Super Bowl with Perry Fewell.

I do recall half of you thinking we should start playing for a draft pick around midseason.

I enjoy watching football and over the last few years I've take my fist off the panic button and just watched. When we win I ride that energy through till next week. When we lose, the pain and frustration lasts all of two hours.

To be fair he did shit the bed and presided over epic collapses... yea he has 2 rings but let's not pretend we didn't get ulcers watching our team being lost out there... Any fan watching this team would have at some point was so livid at coaching he'd wanna fire each one of them.