SportsWrath

Manningham signs with 49ers.

osi724dasack

We all knew this was coming. I have no ill feelings towards him. I wish him luck... Just not against us.

Thanks for your contribution, Super Mario... Especially 3rd and 15 and that great catch in SB46.

Indeed, the very best of luck for M2. I liked the guy, but it's a business. And we had no business paying him any nice money. Hopefully he ended up getting some nice coin in that 2 year deal.

But when he plays us, I hope he drops 3 passes, and cramps up a few times,

Indeed, the very best of luck for M2. I liked the guy, but it's a business. And we had no business paying him any nice money. Hopefully he ended up getting some nice coin in that 2 year deal.

But when he plays us, I hope he drops 3 passes, and cramps up a few times,

Throw in a few routes ran wrong.

-Z

Eh thats not much of a contract. He's more of an insurance policy for when Randy Moss quits on them. So basically he left the Giants as the third receiver on the list to become the third/fourth receiver on the 49ers list considering Vernon Davis is a key target.

It's too bad the Giants are in cap hell. I loved having Mario on the team. He came cheap to us and he gave us some great memories. He was the wild card in the receiving corps. Hopefully another sensation will pop up that can make circus catches and come through in the pinch the Mario did some times.

Giants options to replace Manningham

For the second straight year, Eli Manning will have to find a new third wide receiver.

Last year, Steve Smith left a void in the offense that many wondered if the Giants would be able to fill. Then Victor Cruz emerged and the Giants had perhaps the best trio of receivers in the league. Now Mario Manningham is gone after signing with the San Francisco 49ers late Saturday night. (Here is the updated list of Giants free agents).

Manningham finished last season with 39 receptions for 523 yards and four touchdowns in 12 regular-season games. He could frustrate by dropping balls or at times lacking awareness near the sidelines or out of bounds lines. But he also was capable of making very difficult catches like his sensational 38-yard fourth-quarter catch that set up the game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl XLVI against the Patriots. He also had three touchdowns -- including one against the Niners -- in the postseason and gave Manning a big threat when defenses try to take away Hakeem Nicks and Cruz.

So, what will the Giants do now? They could wait and see what emerges as free agency progresses. Perhaps they can get a veteran on the cheap. ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter reported that Smith, the former Giant, underwent a physical for the Rams last week. But there hasn't been any word yet on a signing.

If the Giants don't sign a veteran receiver, there's a chance they could draft a receiver. I still think the Giants will go best player available with their early picks in the draft but ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper did offer up one receiver that could be a best player available candidate if he drops to 32 when the Giants draft -- Baylor wide receiver Kendall Wright.

But the Giants could very well go the same route they did last year when GM Jerry Reese said Smith's departure would create opportunity to develop one of their own receivers. They went into training camp giving their third receiver reps to Domenik Hixon and Cruz and they started the season using Hixon but he tore his ACL for a second straight season in the second game of the year. They signed Brandon Stokley but he got hurt. Cruz took over and the rest is history.

In February, Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin talked about how last year's third-round pick, Jerrel Jernigan, will potentially be asked to step up this season. There's also the 2009 third-round pick, Ramses Barden. The 6-6 Barden has tantalizing potential and has shown a few glimpses but hasn't gotten an opportunity yet due to injuries or the receivers ahead of him. And the Giants re-signed Hixon, who made that spectacular touchdown catch against the Rams but also tore his ACL on that play as well. He's easily the most experienced receiver of the three but the Giants may bring him along slowly again in camp to be cautious with his knee.

One thing that benefits the Giants is that they will have a full offseason to develop a third receiver. Remember, last year due to the lockout, Manning only had training camp to develop a chemistry with a third receiver. Fortunately, he and Cruz did workout together at Hoboken High School during the lockout on their own with a handful of other players.

Here's a look at the stats for Jernigan, Barden and Hixon for their careers and tell us who you want to see as the Giants' third receiver next season below.

JERREL JERNIGAN: Played in eight games his rookie season in 2011 but had no catches. Saw playing time as a returner on special teams. Excelled as a slot receiver at Troy, where he 71 or more receptions in each of his last three seasons there.

RAMSES BARDEN: Has 15 receptions for 174 yards in 17 games over his three-year career. Had a career-high nine receptions for 94 yards last season in eight games, including three catches for 38 yards against the Saints last season. He's a big target and has shown in small flashes that he has capable hands.

DOMENIK HIXON: He has 63 receptions for 838 yards and four touchdowns in four years as a Giant. In 2008, he had 43 catches for 596 yards and two touchdowns while starting seven games. Hixon had four catches for 50 yards and a touchdown in his first two games last season before suffering his season-ending knee injury.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/13310/giants-options-to-replace-manningham

Be funny if Peyton lands in San Fran and it's still a Manning to Manningham connection.

I was just thinking the other day how it was odd Mario wasnt picked up yet, but guess that thought has passed.

Football is a business and Mario was a casualty would of liked to seen him stay but by all accounts the Giants dont have the fire power in FA this off season.

It's too bad the Giants are in cap hell. I loved having Mario on the team. He came cheap to us and he gave us some great memories. He was the wild card in the receiving corps. Hopefully another sensation will pop up that can make circus catches and come through in the pinch the Mario did some times.

Steve Smith :)

Best of luck to him, overall he was good value to us as a 3rd rounder.

Mario was started as a number 2 at the beginning of the season. Imagain Cruz didn't To bananas. giants would be force to pay number two money for him. Cruz made Reese life much easier.

Anyways. I think he'll be good at San Fran. Dude would be expecting perfect passes tho. So it'll all be depend on Alex smith.

Mario was started as a number 2 at the beginning of the season. Imagain Cruz didn't To bananas. giants would be force to pay number two money for him. Cruz made Reese life much easier.

Anyways. I think he'll be good at San Fran. Dude would be expecting perfect passes tho. So it'll all be depend on Alex smith. Peyton Manning

Fixed

have to admit that graphic you made bronxrix is nice, a 49er fan will grab it and change the colors.

I wish I could take credit for it, but the only thing I did was add the drops of oil to somebody else's work.

Two years for $7.375M? That's a little under 3.7 per year - yes, damn affordable. I have to wonder if Reese's hands were totally tied by the cap or is it partly the cap and partly he believes they can get similar production for much less? Seems to me if they really loved the guy or if they feared there is nobody else on the roster who can replace him, they wouldn't have let him walk away for $3.7M for two years.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/trueblue/manningham_doesnt_break_the_bank/

Mario Manningham wanted to be paid like a No. 1 receiver when he became a free agent this month.

But that did not happen.

The former Giant signed a two-year contract with the 49ers worth $7.375 million, according to a Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area report. He received a signing bonus of $2 million, and his base salary will be $1.2 million in 2012 and $3.6 million in 2013.

The contract includes an additional $2.45 million in salary guarantees, including his entire 2012 salary.

The relatively small amount it took to land Manningham, 25, shows how constrained the Giants are by the salary cap — they are just below it — or that they simply were unwilling to offer much to a No. 3 receiver.

Manningham found himself behind Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks on the depth chart, despite his 38-yard reception that kickstarted the team’s game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLVI.

He did not come close to the deals some other receivers earned on the free-agent market this month, including Vincent Jackson (five years, $55.6 million), Marques Colston (five years, $40 million), Pierre Garcon (five years, $42.5 million), Robert Meachem (four years, $25.9 million) and Reggie Wayne (three years, $17.5 million).

Manningham admitted during his introductory Niners conference call with reporters Thursday that he had wanted to return to the Giants.

He also admitted he was “close” to signing with the Rams before choosing the 49ers. But he said he expects to be a “game-changer” in San Francisco.