SportsWrath

Suprised this wasn't psoted yet

Firstnten

Why back to Philly?

I dunno I'm sure that is not written in stone. The Spags out and Chucky in seems to be substantiated. I hope reese wakes up and offers this guy some chase and boots Fewell if given the chance.

This was reported in the two minute drill a bumper between segments of shows. I have not heard discussion about it yet.

I dunno I'm sure that is not written in stone. The Spags out and Chucky in seems to be substantiated. I hope reese wakes up and offers this guy some chase and boots Fewell if given the chance.

This was reported in the two minute drill a bumper between segments of shows. I have not heard discussion about it yet.

My bet is Reese and the FO kept in touch with him all along... If he signs with another team it won't be because the Giants didn't make an effort.

I would think that Spags would be offered another head coaching position first, no?

I would love for the Giants to sign Spags as a DC with a promise to replace Coughlin once Coughlin retires or his deal is up.

I don't know.. Spags' attempt at HC has failed miserably.. some people are just good at being coordinators... I want him back as a DC... don't care how much $$$ it costs... make him the highest paid DC in the league and get it over with.

I don't know.. Spags' attempt at HC has failed miserably.. some people are just good at being coordinators... I want him back as a DC... don't care how much $$$ it costs... make him the highest paid DC in the league and get it over with.

He was the highest paid DC when he was with the Giants, he left for more money and a chance to be a HC with the Rams.

With the talent the Eagles brought in, given clear direction and a good scheme, they could be awfully good under Spags. Granted, I think some of their guys are overrated (Asante Samual, Nmandi Asumuagh), but they are a talented bunch that with a DC like Spags - could become a very good defense.

Signing Spags as our DC would be as much as a defensive move as it would be anything else. The thing though is that Spags went from LB coach with Eagles to DC with Giants to HC with Rams. Taking a demotion back to DC will be a blow to the ego. Going back to the team you left might even be worse.

I would think that he'd take an opportunity elsewhere as a HC first if available followed by a DC position outside the NFC East so long as the D he goes to is as talented as either the Giants or Eagles.

Of course, it's all pointless speculation at this point. I really just don't want him back with the Eagles.

So did Bellichick with the Browns. Sometimes coaches just need some extra time to marinate.

With the talent the Eagles brought in, given clear direction and a good scheme, they could be awfully good under Spags. Granted, I think some of their guys are overrated (Asante Samual, Nmandi Asumuagh), but they are a talented bunch that with a DC like Spags - could become a very good defense.

Signing Spags as our DC would be as much as a defensive move as it would be anything else. The thing though is that Spags went from LB coach with Eagles to DC with Giants to HC with Rams. Taking a demotion back to DC will be a blow to the ego. Going back to the team you left might even be worse.

I would think that he'd take an opportunity elsewhere as a HC first if available followed by a DC position outside the NFC East so long as the D he goes to is as talented as either the Giants or Eagles.

Of course, it's all pointless speculation at this point. I really just don't want him back with the Eagles.

But thay built that D specifically for that "Wide-9" style. It's not set up for Spag's D.

Let's not give up hope yet:

Steve Spagnuolo Might Not Be So Anxious To Return To Philadelphia

by Ryan Van Bibber on Dec 28, 2011 9:30 AM

Where will Steve Spagnuolo end up with the season ends? Who knows.

The thing about foregone conclusions is that sometimes they aren't so forgone. Fans spewed vitriol in 140 character bursts on Twitter yesterday at the rumors of Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith ticketed for the St. Louis Rams' job, the fact that it's a single-sourced rumor being no impediment to our 2.0 society's need to form and voice instant opinions. Like the Smith report, news that Steve Spagnuolo will be the Eagles next defensive coordinator, which came via the same source, may be a little premature.

Mike Garafolo, who covers the New York Giants for the Newark Star-Ledger, injected a note of memory and rationality into the talk this morning on Twitter, of all places. Garafolo pointed out that Spagnuolo could also be in demand to return to the Giants as their defensive coordinator if Perry Fewell gets canned after a season in which the criticism is mounting.

Spagnuolo was pretty miserable during his last year in Philadelphia. He wanted to be a defensive coordinator, moving up from his job as a linebackers coach. In 2006, Spagnuolo reportedly had the chance to take the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator job, but Andy Reid would not release him from his contract. The fear was that Jim Johnson would leave to take a head coaching gig after the 2006 season.

Someone close to Spagnuolo told the Newark Star-Ledger in 2008, as part of a feature as the Giants made their way through the playoffs, that Spags was not happy in his last year in Philly.

"Those were probably the darkest days. Working for the Eagles the last year was very tough for him."

There's nothing that says Spagnuolo has to return to Philadelphia out of loyalty to Andy Reid or to complete a circle or any of that nonsense. As noted yesterday, Spagnuolo could have his pick of defensive coordinator jobs, and there might even be a few teams willing to make him a head coach again in 2012.

Rumors, speculation and foregone conclusions will swirl like ashes and soot in a Dickensian factory town over the coming weeks. Take it all with a healthy dose of skepticism.

So did Bellichick with the Browns. Sometimes coaches just need some extra time to marinate.

not to mention that the rams have terrible personnel..theyve drafted horribly in recent years as well. the majority of their high draft picks have been busts..and Id say Bradford is a bust as well. Not really Spags fault they suck.

ugh, i can just see us sneaking by the cowboys by the skin of our teeth in an ugly game, then watching detroit put up 45 on us at home while the eagles sign him

Jesus...one can only hope not....but that would fit the Giants M.O. to a T.