SportsWrath

Cowboys vs. Eagles

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

Eagles will start rolling. I knew their early season struggles were too good to be true.

Agreed. And I'll add that come playoff time, I'd much rather face the Cowboys than the Eagles. The way Fewell runs the Giants defense, Vick could do a lot more damage than Romo can.

Guest StrahansGap

Gotta root for the Eagles. Them winning puts everyone 2 games back, right?

I thought I don't add anything decent to Sportswrath. Why would you post on my thread?

I thought I don't add anything decent to Sportswrath. Why would you post on my thread?

I think you asked a question with a pretty intuitively obvious answer. I think that sort of proves my assertion that you don't add anything intelligent to this board.

Agreed. And I'll add that come playoff time, I'd much rather face the Cowboys than the Eagles. The way Fewell runs the Giants defense, Vick could do a lot more damage than Romo can.

Ease up.... Fewell's game plan against Philly earlier this season was pure brilliance.

And say what you want about the game plan in the 1st half yesterday... the important thing is he made the adjustments to shut down the Dolphins offense in time to pull out the win.

Although I think the biggest adjustment was to calm down the defensive line - they had no gap control in the first half, its like they had taken it for granted that they were going to sack Moore on every play. First half defensive problems were not (entirely) the scheme, it was mostly on poor execution by the players.

Ease up.... Fewell's game plan against Philly earlier this season was pure brilliance.

And say what you want about the game plan in the 1st half yesterday... the important thing is he made the adjustments to shut down the Dolphins offense in time to pull out the win.

Although I think the biggest adjustment was to calm down the defensive line - they had no gap control in the first half, its like they had taken it for granted that they were going to sack Moore on every play. First half defensive problems were not (entirely) the scheme, it was mostly on poor execution by the players.

I could not disagree more. The Dolphins have 2 guys you really have to account for.... Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall. You can single up everyone else... but especially on 1st downs, you got to have SOMEBODY whose sole responsibility is stopping Bush. I thought prior to the game that Fewell might use J. Williams as the spy on Bush like he used him on Vick. That didn't happen. But far too often, the 'Phins converted on third and long with no heat being put on Moore. Fewell continues to not respect the less-heralded QB's in the NFL... we saw it with Grossman, with Whitehurst/Jackson, with Kolb, and now we saw it with Moore. I don't understand when you see the success of the blitz over and over, as opposed to rushing 4 and sometimes only 3, why you don't blitz on those 3rd and longs.

I could not disagree more. The Dolphins have 2 guys you really have to account for.... Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall. You can single up everyone else... but especially on 1st downs, you got to have SOMEBODY whose sole responsibility is stopping Bush. I thought prior to the game that Fewell might use J. Williams as the spy on Bush like he used him on Vick. That didn't happen. But far too often, the 'Phins converted on third and long with no heat being put on Moore. Fewell continues to not respect the less-heralded QB's in the NFL... we saw it with Grossman, with Whitehurst/Jackson, with Kolb, and now we saw it with Moore. I don't understand when you see the success of the blitz over and over, as opposed to rushing 4 and sometimes only 3, why you don't blitz on those 3rd and longs.

Does anybody ever gameplan specifically for Reggie Bush? He's flat out fucking terrible, the only team he ever produces against, ironically, is the Giants. But the real point is, the biggest reason for his production is the Giants defensive line consistently took themselves out of the play. And except possibly for Osi, that's not scheme... that's execution. Reggie Bush can have his gift 100 yard game, he's not worth the attention.

Maybe they gave some extra attention to Brandon Marshall (who I think is also overrated as hell), but I think we can live with 4 catches for 55 yards and a pick from a supposedly elite wide receiver. Whatever the game plan was there... it worked.

All I need to say about the lack of blitzing is... 5 sacks. Seriously?....An NFL record pace on sacks isn't enough for you?

Does anybody ever gameplan specifically for Reggie Bush? He's flat out fucking terrible, the only team he ever produces against, ironically, is the Giants. But the real point is, the biggest reason for his production is the Giants defensive line consistently took themselves out of the play. And except possibly for Osi, that's not scheme... that's execution. Reggie Bush can have his gift 100 yard game, he's not worth the attention.

Maybe they gave some extra attention to Brandon Marshall (who I think is also overrated as hell), but I think we can live with 4 catches for 55 yards and a pick from a supposedly elite wide receiver. Whatever the game plan was there... it worked.

All I need to say about the lack of blitzing is... 5 sacks. Seriously?....An NFL record pace on sacks isn't enough for you?

That's a total bullshit statement. He is absolutely a factor, and 1 of 2 legitimate weapons on that team. He's a threat because he has speed and elusiveness. I'm sorry, I don't think the gameplan was to let Reggie Bush run roughshod all over us in the first half, and I don't think the gameplan was to let Matt fucking Moore go up and down the field on us in the first half.

Did you watch that game? Because if you did you would've seen passive defense until the 4th quarter when Fewell finally decided to turn them loose on Matt Moore. You do realize that 4 of those 5 sacks came in the Dolphins last two possessions when they started blitzing in those passing situations? No, CD, I don't enjoy having the likes of Matt Moore go up and down the field and keeping the Dolphins in the game until Fewell finally decides to use the defense doing what they do best late in the 4th quarter. You know why we won that game? Because the Dolphins couldn't come up with a fluke interception like the Seahawks did late in that game. We were one play from losing to the Dolphins because like Joe said, Eli saved the game from the dopey coordinators.

And nowhere did I say we didn't do a good job on Marshall. What they did was stick Webster on him one on one for most of the game, which is exactly how to play it... My gripe isn't with the defense of Marshall, I just said he is only 1 of 2 guys that could really hurt us, and Webster, for the most part, took Marshall away. When you can be pretty comfortable sticking Webster on their best receiver that's even more reason to not let Reggie Bush run all over you.

I thought in the early going our D line was just plain reckless and sloppy on the pass rush - coming upfield with no regard for gap coverage or contain. They washed right past Moore and the field opened up like the red sea for him, not a linebacker in sight.

Moore did beat a couple of blitzes by running in the first half, one was a near sack that he got away from. But on others, we didn't bring the blitz and he was able to make plays with the pass. He rarely completed a pass against our blitz... almost every time we brought extra guys, it was a sack or an incomplete.

And I have to make a correction... one of those 4 sacks in the 4th quarter wasn't a sack. They gave it to JPP for running Moore out of bounds for no gain... but it looked like he got a half yard or so. I won't be surprised if the NFL takes that sack away from JPP. Play happened in the 4th quarter right about the 5:50 mark. I rewatched the other 3 sacks in the 4th quarter and all 3 came when the Giants brought the blitz. Two out of the three times it was only 1 blitzer, so they still had 6 in coverage. The Webster INT they showed blitz but then only rushed 4. To me, Fewell needs to send these guys earlier in the game at the opposing QB to not allow him to get in rhythm, and plus just because it works more often than dropping 7 or 8. I will give him credit that in the 2nd half, after the initial Dolphins possession that Miami drove 58 yards on 7 plays and got 3 points, for the rest of the game the Dolphins only netted 26 yards in their final 5 possessions, with the last one ending in the Webster pick. The Giants defense definitely did a much better job bottling up Bush and stopping the Miami offense in general after the first Dolphins' possession of the 2nd half.

CD, sorry for getting carried away in that earlier reply... I was just screaming at the TV in the first half I was so mad at the way Fewell was holding the guns back on obvious passing downs... you are correct in your point about gap control, and some of that was a guy just getting away and making a play. But in no way am I giving Fewell a pass for not being more aggressive against the Dolphins in the first half.

That's a total bullshit statement. He is absolutely a factor, and 1 of 2 legitimate weapons on that team. He's a threat because he has speed and elusiveness. I'm sorry, I don't think the gameplan was to let Reggie Bush run roughshod all over us in the first half, and I don't think the gameplan was to let Matt fucking Moore go up and down the field on us in the first half.

Did you watch that game? Because if you did you would've seen passive defense until the 4th quarter when Fewell finally decided to turn them loose on Matt Moore. You do realize that 4 of those 5 sacks came in the Dolphins last two possessions when they started blitzing in those passing situations? No, CD, I don't enjoy having the likes of Matt Moore go up and down the field and keeping the Dolphins in the game until Fewell finally decides to use the defense doing what they do best late in the 4th quarter. You know why we won that game? Because the Dolphins couldn't come up with a fluke interception like the Seahawks did late in that game. We were one play from losing to the Dolphins because like Joe said, Eli saved the game from the dopey coordinators.

And nowhere did I say we didn't do a good job on Marshall. What they did was stick Webster on him one on one for most of the game, which is exactly how to play it... My gripe isn't with the defense of Marshall, I just said he is only 1 of 2 guys that could really hurt us, and Webster, for the most part, took Marshall away. When you can be pretty comfortable sticking Webster on their best receiver that's even more reason to not let Reggie Bush run all over you.

Wow, I didn't know anybody still had respect for Reggie Bush. Since when did he become a decent NFL starter?

Its obvious why Bush looked so good... the holes he was running through would have done credit to the early 90's Cowboys offense. And I know why those holes were there too because I hit rewind every damn time the Giants got gashed.

So if you're finding fault with the defensive game plan because Bush put up some numbers, you're effectively saying that Fewell's game plan was to have all four defensive linemen rush upfield, Osi-style. Well, maybe it was, lol.... but I'm not buying it.

By the way, the Giants brought more blitzes than you noticed. I will say that their attempts at blitzing in the first half were pretty pathetic though... they were always poorly timed... either the rusher was not quick enough off the ball to get penetration, or timed carefully enough to be an effective delayed blitz. You can chalk that up to coaching if you want, but its not exactly a schematic error.

When I see PLAYERS getting blown off the ball, playing lazy, playing frustrated, missing their assignments.... I hesitate to say that the problem is the way the play was drawn up by the coach.

Wow, I didn't know anybody still had respect for Reggie Bush. Since when did he become a decent NFL starter?

Its obvious why Bush looked so good... the holes he was running through would have done credit to the early 90's Cowboys offense. And I know why those holes were there too because I hit rewind every damn time the Giants got gashed.

So if you're finding fault with the defensive game plan because Bush put up some numbers, you're effectively saying that Fewell's game plan was to have all four defensive linemen rush upfield, Osi-style. Well, maybe it was, lol.... but I'm not buying it.

By the way, the Giants brought more blitzes than you noticed. I will say that their attempts at blitzing in the first half were pretty pathetic though... they were always poorly timed... either the rusher was not quick enough off the ball to get penetration, or timed carefully enough to be an effective delayed blitz. You can chalk that up to coaching if you want, but its not exactly a schematic error.

When I see PLAYERS getting blown off the ball, playing lazy, playing frustrated, missing their assignments.... I hesitate to say that the problem is the way the play was drawn up by the coach.

No you are right, they did blitz a couple of times in the first half, sometimes successfully, more often not. But there were other plays where I thought they should've brought the blitz, in obvious passing downs, and Moore made completions passing. They were much more successful in the 2nd half.

But I think most NFL coaches would tell you that Bush is a guy you have to account for. One thing is undeniable, he is fast and shifty when he gets in space, and that's what you can't happen. Most teams have done a pretty good job throughout his career containing him... but he's a legit weapon... you can see why when he's made big plays in the punt return game and receiving the ball. He's just not a guy you can ignore and think he won't hurt you, because he can hurt you. One play in the first half (I believe it was the Dolphins' first possession) we had them 3rd and 3, and Giants rushed 4 with all the linebackers stepping back... nobody ran to the flat or accounted for Bush at the snap of the ball. Moore immediately went to him on the swing pass and he picks up an easy first down. It looked like Tryon had responsibility (and he's terrible, IMO), and he was way late and Antrel Rolle finished up the play getting Bush out of bounds after he was well past the first down marker.