SportsWrath

steve smith

Lughead

Did that give anyone else chills? I mean the bad kind.

I also thought it was interesting that it was the TEAM DOCTOR who did Steve's surgery, so I have to side with the Giants' assessment of his readiness.

Yes Tree. I almost let out a barbaric yawp, Dead Poet's Society style when I read that.

yeah jihad terrorist....owens was a castoff.........a castoff is someone that has been discarded.

anytime you deactivate a player and then cut him, he's a castoff. the eagles didnt want him anymore.

So then good luck with our castoff. :TU:

Mentioned it in the other thread, but where we just got beat up in the past two weeks losing Boss and Smith is the middle of the field. Nicks and Manningham will be okay on the outsides provided they don't get hurt....but we're going to need someone to step up in the middle of the field to keep defenses honest on the outside and to keep teams from doubling the WRs.

I remember the Toomer and Hilliard days pre-Shockey. I remember Toomer and Hilliard doing better the year after Shockey got there because we had a presence in the middle to draw coverages away from the outside. Even then though, we had Tiki would could catch out of the backfield. Right now, we're lacking the receiving threat out of the backfield and the receiving threat in the middle of the opposing defense. That's going to hurt should someone not step up in a big way.

I'm two of the big three? You calling me fat, Nas? (Seriously, thanks, but I'm over-rated.)

I've had a really bad night, and I fucking hate the Eagles, man.

--The Dude

I'm very sad right now. Steve Smith was my favorite WR on this team ever, and for him to go to the Eagles of all teams is just disgusting to me. I considered him to be the best possession wide receiver I've seen since Drew Pearson (certainly, the best in the NFC East since Pearson), and felt a little nauseous at the news.

Smith's decision to go to the Eagles is a blunder on his part: they're going to rush him on the field, risk his health because he won't be ready, and possibly shorten his career by years because of this one year contract. And sadly, I'm stuck not caring.

What has been interesting this off season is how obviously the Eagles are making a big push for the SB THIS YEAR. If they don't make it this year, I have a feeling that they are going to go into a rebuilding mode, and we might see a good chunk of this team disappear next year. If that happens, at least one of their DBs goes, Vick goes sooner rather than later (you don't rebuild a team around a QB that old), and a lot of the starters go. That would make me smile, because for all their picks, the Eagles have been mediocre drafters at best. After all, with all the picks they've had over the years, they have maybe a handful of actual stars that came from them. Cole, McCoy, Jackson, Maclin (maybe, we'll see), Celek? Out of all the picks they've had over the last 5 years? That's pathetic, and I have to wonder if their FO is in panic mode because of it.

Their other choice is to try to rebuild through FA--but let's face it, the truly great players are usually re-signed to their original teams unless that team is in cap trouble. You get more bang for the buck with second tier FA than the "stars." That's been true for us with guys like Robbins, Mitchell, Pierce, and O'Hara; and stars like Canty, Rolle, and Arrington.

As far as the Giants go, I'm sad because this year has been the exodus of the 2007 draft class. By the time the 2012 season starts, the only member of that class remaining will be Bradshaw, because I'm sure Ross is gone as soon as free agency starts that March. Everyone else is already gone. Oddly enough, that means to me that the much smaller draft class of 2005 has been by far the superior draft class for the NY Giants. Four picks resulting in Webster, Tuck, and Jacobs playing their career here. That's hitting on all cylinders.

As far as this year's Giants are concerned, I'm flat-out worried now. I was hoping the wide receivers could pick up the slack of Boss' loss. But as it is, we now have to wonder who our third WR is going to be. I think the front runners are probably Hixon and Thomas, like Jim. But Hixon has that ACL, which might be ok since it happened so early last year; and Thomas just had his finger dislocated last week, and we have to see how that heals. With the way this season has gone so far, I'm half-expecting that an amputation will be necessary. Cruz gives some hope, based on one or two preseason games last year--but it's hope based on one or two preseason games. Jernigan is a rookie without benefit of any of the usual preseason activities. Hopefully someone picks up the slack this year, because none of the guys that suited up last year did--and with the exception of Barden (still on PUP and missing yet another opportunity), none of those guys are on our team this year.

Boss is replaceable, but the problem is we haven't replaced him yet. Nicks and Manningham are very good on the field, but neither one of them has played a full season to date. When one of those two misses a game or two, who replaces them?

Now it has gotten to the point where our reconstituted oline HAS to be better than the previous line, because our running game HAS to be better than it has been the last two seasons. Because our passing game has taken too many hits and probably won't be as effective as it was last year.

All that being said, if we manage to win the division and beat those fuckers in the playoffs this season, this year will be so sweet that I'll have to take extra metaformin to keep from going into a coma, lol.

I'm two of the big three? You calling me fat, Nas? (Seriously, thanks, but I'm over-rated.)

You are far from overrated, Fish!

Although I will tell you that Manningham did play all 16 games last year. But yes, I share your concerns, and I hope you're right about the Eagles.

I'm very sad right now. Steve Smith was my favorite WR on this team ever, and for him to go to the Eagles of all teams is just disgusting to me. I considered him to be the best possession wide receiver I've seen since Drew Pearson (certainly, the best in the NFC East since Pearson), and felt a little nauseous at the news.

EVER??? You like Smith better than Toomer?

EVER??? You like Smith better than Toomer?

Yes I did. Not anymore. Now he's one of them. I can only forgive Bavaro for that indiscretion, forgiving a second in a lifetime is asking too much.

Toomer might have had the best career of any Giant wide receiver to date, but that's not saying much. I mean come on, his competition before that was Kyle Rote, Gifford for a couple of seasons, and Homer Jones? Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, and he made some great plays for us as a number two, but on the other hand, 0 tds as a starting #1 in 2004?

Did that give anyone else chills? I mean the bad kind.

I also thought it was interesting that it was the TEAM DOCTOR who did Steve's surgery, so I have to side with the Giants' assessment of his readiness.

I've heard that out of Jacobs before. Right before we went 10-6 and knocked ourselves out of the playoffs with another late season collapse.

Yes I did. Not anymore. Now he's one of them. I can only forgive Bavaro for that indiscretion, forgiving a second in a lifetime is asking too much.

Toomer might have had the best career of any Giant wide receiver to date, but that's not saying much. I mean come on, his competition before that was Kyle Rote, Gifford for a couple of seasons, and Homer Jones? Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, and he made some great plays for us as a number two, but on the other hand, 0 tds as a starting #1 in 2004?

If Steve woulda stayed, his #s in the long run may have been similiar. Other than his probowl yr, he had average at best stats. in 4 yrs as a Giant he only scored 11 TD's, and thats with his 7 TD probowl season. I LOVE Toomer, more so for the clutch grabs he made rather than his overall #s.

It WILL be Nicks in the very soon future though. :TU:

If Steve woulda stayed, his #s in the long run may have been similiar. Other than his probowl yr, he had average at best stats. in 4 yrs as a Giant he only scored 11 TD's, and thats with his 7 TD probowl season. I LOVE Toomer, more so for the clutch grabs he made rather than his overall #s.

It WILL be Nicks in the very soon future though. :TU:

I didn't measure Smith by TDs. He was all about 3rd and 4th down conversions, where he was outstanding. That's also where I admired Toomer in his later years.

I agree about Nicks, assuming he has a career here. Not sure if that will be the case, though. Not anymore.

To me, I think it's good that the Giants were "left out" of the Steve Smith bargaining. Those are the situations where we get used as a bargaining chip to get the other team to go higher. Smith wanted to be an Eagle and we didn't want (or at the least shouldn't have wanted to) get into a bidding war on a WR that is one giant question mark. Getting stuck paying him 2 million guaranteed and offering him say 5 or 6 million (more than the 4 million the Eagles gave him) would have been a contract that was very unfriendly to us and would leave us in the position of either extending him for big money next year or just letting him go next year, depending on how he did. The smart move was to let him go. Letting him go to the Eagles sucks, but if that was the only other team interested in him, it's not that bad, and sort of speaks to how the rest of the league viewed the injured WR.

Besides, Smith is going to be ineffective and unhappy on the Eagles, mark that down right now. They don't work the middle of the field and if they do, it's to Celek and McCoy. They have Avant and Maclin behind Jacksobn who, IMO, should be on the field ahead of SS. They are more well rounded wide receivers (well, Avant is almost the same player). And like someone said, this seems like an insurance addition for the Eagles in case Maclin can't go. And it's also what they think could be a leg up come playoff time. It definitely is a November-December signing.

Osi, he did look uncomfortable there. I think he feels that he may have done the Giants wrong a little, and I think he regrets not coming back to NY. When you look at it, Steve may have been effected by TC's comments yesterday that he was upset and that they wanted him back. To me, his agent played the Giants and Steve let him. Something tells me his agent didn't tell him the whole story, and sold him on this contract with the Eagles, and Steve found out after the fact that the Giants really did want him back and expected to negotiate further.

That fuckin hurt watching that. Pissed me off, ruined my whole day. Fuck you Steve. Whether or not its your fault, fuck you for wearing that green. :ranting2:

Oh well.. I'm no longer pissed.. I have moved on.. I just hope he's not stupid enough to rush back to the playing field and ruin his life... and those Eagles are stocking up for this year with all those 1 year deals.. next year's cap is not going to be as friendly... the Giants are built for the long run.. not like the Jets or Eagles.

Oh well.. I'm no longer pissed.. I have moved on.. I just hope he's not stupid enough to rush back to the playing field and ruin his life... and those Eagles are stocking up for this year with all those 1 year deals.. next year's cap is not going to be as friendly... the Giants are built for the long run.. not like the Jets or Eagles.

Thats a very good point bro, there bettin the farm on this yr. Not good. We are ready for yrs to come. And Im getting over it, its just seeing him in a uni I never thought Id see him in made me mad all over again. :furious:

But its all good.....LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!! :giants:

Thats a very good point bro, there bettin the farm on this yr. Not good. We are ready for yrs to come. And Im getting over it, its just seeing him in a uni I never thought Id see him in made me mad all over again. :furious:

But its all good.....LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!! :giants:

Let's see if he can develop something with Vick who will be running for his life most of the time anyway. The Giants figured out Vick last year and the rest of the league followed suite.