SportsWrath

steve smith

Lughead

Cast offs? TO is YOUR Castoff? Wasn't he the 49ers cast off.. then the Cowboys castoff? Sheesh.. something tells me the Eagles are scrambling.. championship at any cost... I guess the reason we don't make big splashes in FA is because we have our farm in order... Can't wait to meet you guys.. this ought to be fun.

yeah jihad terrorist....owens was a castoff.........a castoff is someone that has been discarded.

anytime you deactivate a player and then cut him, he's a castoff. the eagles didnt want him anymore.

yeah jihad terrorist....owens was a castoff.........a castoff is someone that has been discarded.

anytime you deactivate a player and then cut him, he's a castoff. the eagles didnt want him anymore.

Jihad terrorist?

Kurt coleman started many games last year at strong safety and played a significant amount of snaps. nate allen was the openeing day starter at free safety and had 3 picks in the first four games before he got injured so i'm not really worried about safety. plus when you have 4 stud corners, who cares? linebackers are slightly a concern but we picked up better defensive tackles for our new scheme....again not worried.

what happens if any starting qb in the nfl gets injured? yeah, we'll likely be a worse team as i'm sure the giants would be if manning breaks his leg.

but to answer your question, if vick pops a hammy we'll go with kafka....young is in philly to rehab his image and get quality qb coaching. he's merely trade bait for the next offseason. eagles will land another 2nd round draft pick for a backup qb just they did with aj feely and kevin kolb

Well D4P, Mannings don't break. Mike Vick on the other hand, has broke before. As for Kafka... is that a joke? You guys aren't going to win with that guy. As for Nate Allen, you act like he played only 4 games last year... he played 13. 2 out of 3 of his picks came from McNabb and Shaun Hill. Not impressed. Maybe he turns out to be really good but we'll see. And Kurt Coleman? No, dude. Personally, I'll take Kenny Phillips and Antrel Rolle over your guys. But you guys have a damn good squad no doubt. Just don't think it's going to be easy, 'cause it ain't. This Giants 'D' has a lot more kickass in them than last year and a chip on their shoulder.

Hey D4P, who is that 4th stud corner you are referring to, out of curiosity? Joselio Hansen?

Anyway, the Eagles are tough, I think the 22 starters are real good, but I think the Giants are a much deeper team at almost all positions and that will be key as the season wears on.

Just for S's and G's, not that I actually think it has the slimmest chance in the world of actually happening, but I read on BBI that reports are saying that Johnny Knox is wanting a trade out of Chicago. I would give them the Sage for him... hey, maybe even throw in Matt Dodge!

That's intriguing but I doubt we could afford him.

Tom Coughlin says Steve Smith never gave the #NYG a chance to match the Eagles' offer after promising that he would.

http://twitter.com/#!/TheBlueScreen

Now Coughlin confirms: no chance to match. "And we were told we were going to" have that opportunity.

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo

Tuck won't speak for Smith but says he would give the Giants the chance to match any offer.

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo

What pisses me off is his agent, and ultimately Steve, never afforded the Giants to match. At least afford the opportunity. I do feel the Giants would've made some offer that would've kept Steve in blue, somehow. You can look at it two ways, and I can understand both POV's, but to me, I think it was still shitty they didn't give the Giants a chance to match.

Bro what's wrong with you.. I don't want to speak for anyone else but I don't "hate" anyone.. not the cowboys.. not the eagles.. and certainly not their fans... this is a game.. and last I checked. it's "for entertainment purposes only"... sure we enjoy the rivalry and the trash talk but at the end of the day "hate" never enters the picture.

I once was confronted with a grown ass man in his 40s (dressed in leather for whatever reason) more than twice my size who wanted to fight me because I was a Yankee fan (the jerk was a red sox fan)... I put him to shame in the bar telling to go back to his wife and kids.. of course he backed down when he realized there were quite a few Yankee fans and my friends outnumbered his... oh btw I was 20 years old at the time :)

P.S. The Yankees won that game too.

Yea your officially gay

NY Daily News

Steve Smith joining the NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles disappoints Giants coach Tom Coughlin

BY Christian Red

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The reverberations from wide receiver Steve Smith joining their hated rivals in the NFC East were still being felt Thursday at Giants camp, with coach Tom Coughlin fuming that Big Blue was left out of the negotiating process altogether, despite Smith spending two days with the team before his shocking move down the turnpike with the Eagles.

"From what I understand there wasn't any involvement on our part at all," said Coughlin. "We were never brought into the discussion."

Smith, who had microfracture surgery on his left knee in December, was still considered to be at least four to six weeks away from even practicing. But the Eagles obviously thought differently, swooping in and signing Smith to a one-year deal worth approximately $4 million - $2 million of which is guaranteed.

"The Eagles have been involved pretty diligently for weeks now, talking to my agent (Ben Dogra)," Smith told reporters in Philly after the deal was complete. "We were just waiting, waiting to see what's going to happen with the Giants. I don't know what happened there. I'm just fortunate that Philadelphia, such a great team, wanted me."

Smith, 26, went to the Pro Bowl after the 2009 season when he caught a team-record 107 passes for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns.

Coughlin lamented that players seem to be leaving the team more rapidly than they are being signed, and he was particularly "disappointed" in Smith's departure.

"We thought he'd be a Giant all the way with the (injury) circumstances, and the fact that (team physician) Dr. (Russell) Warren did the surgery," said Coughlin. "I think we know quite a bit about what it takes to get him back on the field. Having said all that, we certainly know that's the nature of our business. There are some disappointing factors involved, which I'm not going to get into because I'm not the one to speak on that."

Coughlin said the word of the day is "opportunity," meaning the signed wide receiver corps - Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Victor Cruz (0 career catches), Domenik Hixon (missed last year with torn ACL), Devin Thomas and Michael Clayton – will have to step up to fill Smith's shoes.

But both Brandon Jacobs and Justin Tuck didn't seem to think the loss would prevent the Giants from contending, with Jacobs going as far as saying, "I think a lot of people, including (media) and fans around the country, and around the world for that matter, are going to be shocked at this football team that we're going to put on the field."

When Tuck was asked about all the big-name acquisitions the Eagles have made, he shot back, "When have names won a game?"

Bro what's wrong with you.. I don't want to speak for anyone else but I don't "hate" anyone.. not the cowboys.. not the eagles.. and certainly not their fans... this is a game.. and last I checked. it's "for entertainment purposes only"... sure we enjoy the rivalry and the trash talk but at the end of the day "hate" never enters the picture.

I once was confronted with a grown ass man in his 40s (dressed in leather for whatever reason) more than twice my size who wanted to fight me because I was a Yankee fan (the jerk was a red sox fan)... I put him to shame in the bar telling to go back to his wife and kids.. of course he backed down when he realized there were quite a few Yankee fans and my friends outnumbered his... oh btw I was 20 years old at the time :)

P.S. The Yankees won that game too.

Oh, bro, I HATE the eagles and cowboys.....HATE them. Not, "I want them dead" hate, but slightly below that...... :smartass:

Yeah, Joe, I agree. I also believe TC, however, that Dogra didn't give the Giants a chance to match, and that Smith was signed before they even knew they were in a competition. Shame on Reese for not being more aggressive, and shame on Dogra for not giving Smith the opportunity to stay a Giant and possibly get a better offer.

TC from Ohm Youngmisuk's articleon ESPN.com:

"We were constantly told that if and when the market did develop that we would always be included in what was going on," Coughlin said. "I am upset. So is everybody. But we are disappointed in the fact that ... it's like lining up for the race and you are in the locker room and nobody tells you that the race is going to be run. That is the disappointing thing here. I don't believe that we were given the opportunity to do what we can do."

I just don't get it. Did Dogra grow up in Philly or something? Can't wait until week 3.

Seems Smith to exception to Coughlin comment about the extent of the injury/recovery period. Besides I don't think the match meant much to them.. but maybe a chance to beat that price. The other side of it is.. Philly didn't want to be used to up the price.. they probably came to the agent and said this is our offer... we need a response in 1 hour... just a guess on my part because that's what I would do.

...Jacobs going as far as saying, "I think a lot of people, including (media) and fans around the country, and around the world for that matter, are going to be shocked at this football team that we're going to put on the field."

Did that give anyone else chills? I mean the bad kind.

I also thought it was interesting that it was the TEAM DOCTOR who did Steve's surgery, so I have to side with the Giants' assessment of his readiness.