SportsWrath

steve smith

Lughead

Nas that's exactly my point. They COULD have locked him up, but DIDN'T, which means they DIDN'T REALLY WANT TO. Believe me Jerry Reese is not spending his days watching reruns of Frasier. He's spending his days figuring out the Giants 53 man roster, and clearly he didn't find Steve Smith's presence to be an overly important matter.

Why? You'll have to ask him. But this didn't happen because Reese was busy playing golf and not working on the team.

-Z

I know what you're saying but this really got under my skin.. and seeing Lug's post.. $4M for one year.. $2M guranteed is too much for a guy who may not even play.. the Eagles have the cash to burn.. and consider it an investment in Steve's future with them.. and I'm sure they loved sticking it to the Giants.

I know what you're saying but this really got under my skin.. and seeing Lug's post.. $4M for one year.. $2M guranteed is too much for a guy who may not even play.. the Eagles have the cash to burn.. and consider it an investment in Steve's future with them.. and I'm sure they loved sticking it to the Giants.

Oh I'm in the same boat as you and everyone else emotionally. This hurts. You though Steve Smith was gonna be a Giant for years to come. He was with us for the SB. Great player, hard worker. And to see him leave to the Eagles. It kills.

-Z

Im a bit more hopefull Ahmed is gonna turn it around.. the guy is tough as nails though. Eli cuts down on INTs.. he cuts down on Fumbles and our D is better than last year.. we should be ok.. I just can't stomach thought of Smith in Philly's uniform.

Now that Smith is gone a guy like Jernigan is all but assured of making the squad (rightly so, he's a 3rd rounder, I believe). But can you imagine actually having a special teams squad that can play? A good special teams alone could have made us 12-4 last year and that's just a rough estimate. Can you imagine a good, creative return game, along with a solid punter (the dude from the Jets, I'm hoping) and a good solid punt and kick coverage team? These are things I'm more worried about than a 3rd best WR, whom nostalgia has made way more valuable than actual skill.

Now that Smith is gone a guy like Jernigan is all but assured of making the squad (rightly so, he's a 3rd rounder, I believe). But can you imagine actually having a special teams squad that can play? A good special teams alone could have made us 12-4 last year and that's just a rough estimate. Can you imagine a good, creative return game, along with a solid punter (the dude from the Jets, I'm hoping) and a good solid punt and kick coverage team? These are things I'm more worried about than a 3rd best WR, whom nostalgia has made way more valuable than actual skill.

Well I guess We all have to put ourselves in SS shoes. what do you do hang around for a team that is in cap hell or go to a tough team on the rise for 1 year for 4 mill (probably incentives) 2 mill guaranteed . Dudes gotta feed his family this year.

so what was the cap like for the eagles Vick $20 million and every one else $50 and a package of hotdogs?

Ehhh I think it's safe to to that Mario and Hakeem are better WRs with more upside and we all knew we couldn't keep all 3 long term anyways so let's sign Mario and Terrell Thomas to long term deals.

Bro the dude's was my favorite Giant at least on the offensive side... the guy played with heart and let his playing do the talking. The Giants FO dragged their feet.. assuming no team was interested.. and what do you know.. the Eagles throw $2M at him.. it's an investment for the next year.. they basically stole our most reliable receiver.. right from under our noses.

If there's a bone to pick here, it's why Reese and co. didn't want Smith. And whether they're right about him or the Eagles are. Which only time will tell.

But nobody stole anyone from anybody. The Eagles took what we weren't interested in.

-Z

If there's a bone to pick here, it's why Reese and co. didn't want Smith. And whether they're right about him or the Eagles are. Which only time will tell.

But nobody stole anyone from anybody. The Eagles took what we weren't interested in.

-Z

Z, how many of us didn't want Steve back? How may of the players you think didn't? Even the FO.. odds on they got caught with their pants down.

There's no way the Giants thought he's gonna be healthy and ready to put in basically a full seasons work and didn't match this offer.

No way.

-Z

This. A 4 mil, 1 year contract tells me the Eagles want him for a post season push when he is completely healthy. Not for a dynasty, like the Giants.

This. A 4 mil, 1 year contract tells me the Eagles want him for a post season push when he is completely healthy. Not for a dynasty, like the Giants.

It's better than that.. they get first dips to resign him if he pans out.. we don't.

Z, how many of us didn't want Steve back? How may of the players you think didn't? Even the FO.. odds on they got caught with their pants down.

Yeah but Nas how many of us know anything about the condition of Steve's knees?

I'm more inclined to think the FO didn't get caught with their pants down. How many of us on this site were wondering why Smith wasn't signed yet? The answer surely isn't because Reese was busy playing videogames. Smith wasn't signed yet because they weren't in a hurry to sign him, becasue they didn't feel like they should be in a hurry to sign him, because clearly they felt it wasn't so important that he be signed.

When Reese thought it was important, for example GETTING A STARTING CENTER, it happened, swiftly and decisively and immediately.

It's the most logical explanation. Whether it's the right move we'll see.

-Z

Bro the dude's was my favorite Giant at least on the offensive side... the guy played with heart and let his playing do the talking. The Giants FO dragged their feet.. assuming no team was interested.. and what do you know.. the Eagles throw $2M at him.. it's an investment for the next year.. they basically stole our most reliable receiver.. right from under our noses.

IMO Super Mario and Hakeem the dream are better and more valuable to the team. They are electric playmakers

While Ss is an undersized chain mover possession type with a bad knee.

It's better than that.. they get first dips to resign him if he pans out.. we don't.

You've seen how well having first dibs works. We don't need Steve Smith. We needed Kevin Boss and Barry Cofield. Oh well.

Fuck it I'm over it!!! Smith really is a replaceable guy

And we all overate him a lot. Plus Reese is great at drafting WRs and maybe JJ is that new SS but faster.

It happens to be, I wouldn't call Smith "replaceable" or "overrated". He's a fantastic receiver when healthy. Possibly the best slot receiver in the NFL. You don't find those every day.

-Z

It happens to be, I wouldn't call Smith "replaceable" or "overrated". He's a fantastic receiver when healthy. Possibly the best slot receiver in the NFL. You don't find those every day.

-Z

We will be fine, and Smith will NEVER be the Smith of 09

especially in Phillys offense.