SportsWrath

New York Giants 2011 draft thread

Lughead

Strengths

Jernigan has outstanding speed. Explodes off the line and is a nightmare to bring down after the catch in the open field. Uses an effective repertoire of fakes to gain extra separation. Fearless going over the middle on crossing routes. Versatile athlete that is a weapon as a return man.

Weaknesses

Undersized and struggles to beat the press off the line of scrimmage and is not much of a downfield blocker. Not a polished route runner and tends to telegraph his routes. Does not have a large catching radius and will struggle to make catches in the red zone against taller defensive backs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jerrel-jernigan?id=2495179#tab=1

Yeah he's our return guy.

11 total kick and punt returned TDs.

Jernigan is flat-out a playmaaker who has the ability to make an immediate impact as a return man at the next level. He has excellent speed to stretch the field and the hip fluidity to maintain momentum in transition and separate out of his breaks. He lacks the size to be a No. 1 receiver in the NFL, but he is a slippery runner in the open field after the catch and projects to be a weapon in the slot. He has a chance to be a second-rounder.

Exactly, a Domenik Hixon kind of guy, without the height. A receiver like this routinely goes in the 6th and 7th rounds every year and that's what pisses me off about this pick.

Really everywhere I'm reading at the moment says he's a late second to late third round pick.

One of those Reggie Bush types, when the ball is in his hands he makes people miss and can make plays happen. The problem comes with everything else.

Really everywhere I'm reading at the moment says he's a late second to late third round pick.

One of those Reggie Bush types, when the ball is in his hands he makes people miss and can make plays happen. The problem comes with everything else.

So a kick returner who does not get tackled by defenders shadows? That will be nice for a change. and could anyone be less productive a WR then Sinorice?

Kiper is a tool. We still have to get him the ball, and a little 5'8" waterbug is too little of a target for Eli, who, let's face it, isn't the pinpoint accuracy kind of QB. He might be a GREAT returner for us, but if he can't beat press coverage in NCAA, then he won't be a factor in the passing game in the NFL. I have to reduce my grade for the Giants draft to a B+, they could've at least gone with Clint Boling there and actually received a player that has a chance to start on our team for a very long time.

Kiper is a tool. We still have to get him the ball, and a little 5'8" waterbug is too little of a target for Eli, who, let's face it, isn't the pinpoint accuracy kind of QB. He might be a GREAT returner for us, but if he can't beat press coverage in NCAA, then he won't be a factor in the passing game in the NFL. I have to reduce my grade for the Giants draft to a B+, they could've at least gone with Clint Boling there and actually received a player that has a chance to start on our team for a very long time.

yeah I watch the NFL Network coverage. I cannot believe you don't like this pick. He takes the lid off the defense. Amazing route runner out of the slot. The Eagles have shit in their secondary, Dallas as well The Eagles took a in the box safety, good fucking night nurse

yeah I watch the NFL Network coverage. I cannot believe you don't like this pick. He takes the lid off the defense. Amazing route runner out of the slot. The Eagles have shit in their secondary, Dallas as well The Eagles took a in the box safety, good fucking night nurse

BigBlue, yes he looks good but it's not like he was playing against major college competition. He's not going to get cream puff DB's in the NFL, not even nickel corners. So he's going to have to beat the jam. I just really wish Little or Hankerson fell to us, but time to move forward, I'm a Jerrel Jernigan fan now.

I'm going to be optimistic... he'll probably do wonders for or return game, and he could be a Wes Welker type in the slot. But gosh I think we could've done better at that spot.

Actually when you think about it...we need a return man.

We literally had zero threat of returning punts or kicks last year. With Smith/Nicks/Manningham and the plethora of WRs we signed at the end of the year, let them worry about catching the ball from Eli. Let Jernigan focus on making our return game something special, plus let him be eased into the WR role. You never know with a year or two maybe Eli will adjust throwing to him then the other way around.

Ok so we don't have a true FB and I feel we should draft one late so what do you guys think about Anthony Sherman out of Conn?

Bear "I'll block for you" Pascoe is our FB.

I wouldn't be surprised season start (if there is one) that he is no longer listed as a TE and listed as a FB.

Pascoe should be the full back.

Jernigan could give us some different looks here, when was the last time we had do a decent job on a quick out. This guy could line up and run the end around. Make the defense think a little bit. He may add another page to Gilbride's already huge 6 page offensive playbook. (3 pages are the index and 1 glossary )

Pascoe should be the full back.

Jernigan could give us some different looks here, when was the last time we had do a decent job on a quick out. This guy could line up and run the end around. Make the defense think a little bit. He may add another page to Gilbride's already huge 6 page offensive playbook. (3 pages are the index and 1 glossary )

we will run Jernigan on three straight HB Draws

Exactly, a Domenik Hixon kind of guy, without the height. A receiver like this routinely goes in the 6th and 7th rounds every year and that's what pisses me off about this pick.

If he fixes our return game... then it's all worth it.

Exactly what I thought. They must see him as a viable WR contributor too to drop a 3rd on him.

LOVE THIS DRAFT!!!!

GOT need and BPA by far in round 1

Same exact case in round 2!!!

And went BPA again in 3 and added to out need of PR/KR and he will bump off guys like Devin Thomas, and Reynaud!!!

I heard Jerrigan compared to guys like Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin

My first thought on Jerrigan was "why another WR when we need to put youth on the o-line", but as I've read up on this guy, he seems like a pretty decent addition to the team. According to every analysis that I've read so far, he is a little guy that really wreaks havoc on defenses....especially productive as a slot reciever. I've read that Atlanta worked him out and were worried he wouldn't still be available to them in the second round and pretty much everything I've read says he was a legitimate 2nd round pick. He's listed on boards everywhere from the 5th to the 7th best reciever in the draft with the note that he'd be higher if not for his short stature as well as not coming from a large school.

Listed as top WR prospect from small school (Troy) and the second top small school prospect overall (behind Muhammed Wilkerson (Jet's 1st rd pick) and ahead of Ijalana). And Troy has produced some pretty good players such as Osi Umenyura and Demarcus Ware.

The Giants always take at least one small school prospect and it usually works out pretty well for them.

I tend to think Jerrigan will become an exciting player for the team.

My first thought on Jerrigan was "why another WR when we need to put youth on the o-line", but as I've read up on this guy, he seems like a pretty decent addition to the team. According to every analysis that I've read so far, he is a little guy that really wreaks havoc on defenses....especially productive as a slot reciever. I've read that Atlanta worked him out and were worried he wouldn't still be available to them in the second round and pretty much everything I've read says he was a legitimate 2nd round pick. He's listed on boards everywhere from the 5th to the 7th best reciever in the draft with the note that he'd be higher if not for his short stature as well as not coming from a large school.

Listed as top WR prospect from small school (Troy) and the second top small school prospect overall (behind Muhammed Wilkerson (Jet's 1st rd pick) and ahead of Ijalana). And Troy has produced some pretty good players such as Osi Umenyura and Demarcus Ware.

The Giants always take at least one small school prospect and it usually works out pretty well for them.

I tend to think Jerrigan will become an exciting player for the team.

Too me, we got three prospect with first round talent. I had Jernigan ranked has the 4th WR. I think we go small school again later with Brandon Fusco C out of Slippery Rock and I am hoping for Taiwan Jones out Eastern Washington. Those two players would make this the perfect draft too me.