SportsWrath

New York Giants 2011 draft thread

Lughead

Analysis

Strengths: Has great athleticism for his size and a quick first step off the snap. Has a strong upper body, uses his arms well to knock rushers off their path. Good agility and can move with ease laterally. Has a very quick kick-slide to mirror speed rushers to the outside. Has good awareness and adjusts well to blitzes. Keeps his pad level low and is able to get good leverage for a player of his size. Good quickness and is effective when pulling. Adjusts to spin moves and attacks cut blocks. Gets to the second level quickly. Has quick feet and can lock onto linebackers in the open field. Does not drive defenders out of the play but does a good job occupying them and sustaining his blocks.

Weaknesses: Does not display much aggression. Regularly grabs the outside of the defenders' shoulder pads instead of attacking his chest to drive and steer him out of the play. Does not make the first contact and tends to wait and catch the defender. Lacks a nasty demeanor when run blocking. Doesn't take good pursuit angles and often fails to keep his body square. Fails to explode off the ball in the run game and also struggles to hold his ground against bull rushers. Can open his hips and get beat to the inside. Ineffective when cut blocking and struggles to take down athletic defensive ends. Could do a better job keeping his feet moving once engaged. Missed time in 2007, '08 and 2010 with foot and ankle injuries. Not a vocal leader on the field or in the locker room and his competitiveness has been questioned.

I like the Greg Jones pick, I am not sure about Brewer after I seen what else was available. Marcus Cannon and Taiwan Jones were still there when we picked another developmental tackle. Hmmm. Out of all the five picks that was the worst one, now that I think about it. Greg Jones great though, I like us to go get a Rocky McIntosh in free agency, while we bring along Jones.

TomRock_Newsday

But by all accounts Jones sounds like the kind of player who overcomes size with intangibles.

TomRock_Newsday

The last undersized, slow MLB with intangibles the Giants had was Antonio Pierce. Ask him to show you his SB ring next time you see him.

They are raving on and on about this Sash kid. They also say that Perry Fewell is not against playing a 3 safety set. Says he's a real footballer and plays the game tough and makes things happen. For what it's worth, USAToday had him ranked as the second best SS in the class behind DeAndre McDaniel and projected to be a 3rd round pick.