SportsWrath

New York Giants 2011 draft thread

Lughead

I like Leshoure, but have my fingers crossed that the Giants will take Ben Ijalana who I think won't last for them to grab in the 3rd and could end up the best offensive lineman in the draft when the dust settles.

colts moved up for him.

Stephen Paea here... whoa, that would be unbelievable. So would Leshoure or Murray. There are a lot of ways the Giants could go here and I'm going to flip because the 2nd round has gone almost perfectly for the Giants here.

Almost?!?!?! don't jinx us with a MOss pick dude.. :ranting2::05-mafia:

Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina

Being suspended and eventually kicked off of the team amid an investigation by the NCAA into whether players received benefits from agents is not a good way to start off a promising senior season. Heading into the 2010 campaign, Marvin Austin was turning into a great defensive tackle. As a true freshman he did amazingly well and even earned three starts. His 26 tackles, 6.0 tackles-for-loss and 4.0 sacks were great numbers for a true freshman who was not on the field all that often. In 2008 he started 11 games. While his sacks and tackles-for-loss numbers were down, Austin turned into a great run stuffer and totaled 38 tackles. Austin tallied 42 tackles, 6.0 tackles-for-loss and 4.0 sacks during what ended up being his last season in Chapel Hill.

Austin's size, strength and versatility are his best assets and that is why he is considered one of the best defensive tackles in this class. At 6-3 and 305 pounds, he already has the size to play tackle in the NFL and he has some room to add more strength and weight to his frame.

Austin, like so many of UNC's defensive stalwarts, could have gone pro early, but opted to return to school. Despite not playing all year, Austin could still be a first rounder. He has the talent, but now he has to stay focused on staying in playing shape and spend some time getting ready to answer a lot of questions from NFL teams.

2/8 Update: Austin finally got back on the football field during the East-West Shrine Game. He may have been a little rusty, but he was certainly in shape. The fact that he recovered a late fumble for a touchdown helped bring him more attention. Austin seems to be physically fine and that should not be an issue. However, many still have concerns about his attitude and the NFL Combine interviews will be pretty important. If all goes well, he should find himself back in the mix for a first round selection.

4/4 Update: Austin seems to have done an adequate job of convincing NFL teams that his suspension during the 2010 season was a mistake that will not affect his professional career. His physical tools have never been in question and now Austin is working his way back up the draft boards. He may be a gamble, but Austin could be a superb pickup in the second round, but a team will have to be willing to take the risk.

From FFToolbox.com http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1852#ixzz1KxW73NZL

Guest StrahansGap

Bittersweet 2nd pick for me. If this means the end of the Barry Cofield era, I will be very disappointed! :furious:

Well....I'll be the first to say I'm a little disappointed in this pick. Of course, after Ijalana was snapped up in front of us, I was bound for disappointment. Austin has the size to be an impact DT, but a year off of playing and a variety of character problems sounds like trouble to me. He should have gone pro a year ago after being thrown off the team. I don't know what kind of workout regimen he kept, but it has to be less than if he had just gone pro last year.

Hopefully, it will work out for the Giants. I like the idea of having a true run-stuffer in the middle if indeed he still has the skill set and strength.