SportsWrath

New York Giants 2011 draft thread

Lughead

And by all accounts one of the better DT in the draft, who would of gone top 15 if he didnt miss a year.

Last I checked we had a pretty good D-line that he could be groomed behind.

Canty and Joseph play the nose. Austin would start right away, if we lose Coefield.

NO!!! We have Prince Nas to thank for that! Just kidding Nas......... Nothing personal Blue. But that was a horrendous statement. You can retract now and I won't hold it against you....i promise.

How so? We now have two second round picks devoted into DTs in Joseph and Austin, behind Smith we have Manningham and who else?

We also have guys like Tuck/Osi/JPP/Canty ect around guys like Cofield, where as Steve Smith is our #1 guy who teams know if they take him away this team struggles in the passing game.

So once again losing Cofield would not be a big deal compared to losing the arguably one of the best WR the Giants have had to this point

How so? We now have two second round picks devoted into DTs in Joseph and Austin, behind Smith we have Manningham and who else?

We also have guys like Tuck/Osi/JPP/Canty ect around guys like Cofield, where as Steve Smith is our #1 guy who teams know if they take him away this team struggles in the passing game.

So once again losing Cofield would not be a big deal compared to losing the arguably one of the best WR the Giants have had to this point

Smith was a nice safety valve for Eli, especially on third downs. I have said before if we didn't lose Smith, we beat the Eagles and win the division, instead of being in constant sorrow over that comeback. Hopefully we get them both doesn't look like we are gonna after any big names free agents,unless we go get Stephen Tulloch. We will probably just resign our own guys.

Here's the thing with Cofield... he was always going to be too expensive to retain, methinks. He wants a huge check. You have to trust the board, with Austin there, he was a tremendous value. Paea would've been the pick, more than likely, if it wasn't Austin, so either way it was going to be a penetrating, quick, DT.

Wow, Pats are loading up on RB's.

By the way I'm not trying to knock Cofield, he has been an incredible player for us for only being a fourth round pick. He's played really good for us for the time he has been the starter but saying he is one of the best in the NFL? That's a stretch.

Just if the choice was Smith vs Cofield, with the draft picks we made, Smith is easily the only choice anyone should make.

At the same time you never know maybe JR works some magic and smokes some cock and Barry stays.

There is still a NT in a 4-3 and that's what Canty and Joseph play

Taken from the Giants website.

In 2009, started all 16 games at nose tackle…Finished season with 57 tackles (27 solo), 1.0 sacks, 5 tackles for losses, 16 QB hurries, 6 QB hits and a pass defensed…Sacked Jason Campbell for a 9-yard loss at Washington (12/21)…Tallied season-high 7 tackles (2 solo) vs. Oakland (10/11) and vs. Atlanta, also 2 solo on 11/22)

http://www.giants.com/team/player214.html

Cofield is the NT.

Guest StrahansGap

Fair enough. But you could have prefaced it with some thankful words for Cofield, no? Loyalty my brotha.

Fair enough. But you could have prefaced it with some thankful words for Cofield, no? Loyalty my brotha.

So that's why Cofield is leaving the Giants for a nice big fat paycheck instead of staying with the team that took a chance on him in the fourth round?

Guest StrahansGap

By the way I'm not trying to knock Cofield, he has been an incredible player for us for only being a fourth round pick. He's played really good for us for the time he has been the starter but saying he is one of the best in the NFL? That's a stretch.

Just if the choice was Smith vs Cofield, with the draft picks we made, Smith is easily the only choice anyone should make.

At the same time you never know maybe JR works some magic and smokes come cock and Barry stays.

There it is! You're forgiven.

Guest StrahansGap

So that's why Cofield is leaving the Giants for a nice big fat paycheck instead of staying with the team that took a chance on him in the fourth round?

Do you really want to get into a "big fat paycheck" argument with me? Really? Ask GolfingGuy where that one will lead.

5 Guys to keep an eye on for our pick here in the third:

Clint Boling, OG/C, Georgia

Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami

Taiwan Jones, RB, Eastern Washington

Quan Sturdivant, ILB, North Carolina

Kendall Hunter, RB, Oklahoma State

My pick if all these guys are available? Hankerson.