SportsWrath

Brandon Marshall for a #1?

fringe

Nicks is a star in the making. The guy made big play after big play last year, as a rookie. He had nearly 800 yards, 47 receptions and 6 tds as a rookie, despite missing two games and not being a starter for a good portion of the year. Remember, he started the season as the 4th WR... not the slot guy, but the 4th... and by the end of the season he was starting on the outside. Some of the moves he put on players we have never seen a Giant WR do. Nicks is a flat out baller. All he needs is more opportunity, and we'll all be glad we used our #1 on defense. I think people are underestimating Nicks because he didn't have the HUGE numbers year one. But what he had really impressed the hell out of me.

If you mean the RB's are skeptical about the WR's, I don't blame themsmartass.gif Look, I've told you. A big WR stretches the field and opens up all other facets of the game. The RB's were less effective because of the numbers on defense. ditto the OL-

i don't think we have anyone (yet) capable of drawing double coverage. And I think the NFL is going thru a phase where a great offense and a serviceable defense wins.

You know what else stretches the field and draws double coverage? A WR that averages about 20 yards /catch.

I really am not seeing why we're getting hot and bothered over Brandon Marshall. Even Steve Smith - our Steve Smith - has averaged more yards per attempt than Marshall over the last couple years. So has Nicks, and he did it as a rookie. What is so special about Marshall, other than the fact that he's been in the news (for all the wrong reasons)?

Wait, wait, wait......I thought we were just talking a #1 pick? I dont know how Nicks name got put in the mix, but that would change my choice. HELL NO! Nicks is a future star, he's special, you can just tell. And a good kid whos strong and got HUGE hands. No way, Nicks is gonna be a stud.

So what happens if we use the 1st on Marshall and he comes in and instead of putting up 24 points a game we put up 31 but the defense is still giving up 30+?

Agreed. We just used a #1 pick on a Wide Receiver....what are we, Detroit?

We've got Smith, Nicks, Manningham, plus depth.

We don't need any more receiving options. What we need is a guy who will get the defense off the field after 3rd down.

Wait, wait, wait......I thought we were just talking a #1 pick? I dont know how Nicks name got put in the mix, but that would change my choice. HELL NO! Nicks is a future star, he's special, you can just tell. And a good kid whos strong and got HUGE hands. No way, Nicks is gonna be a stud.

im pretty sure nicks is only brought up because he is a ny giant wr who played well enough as a rookie and along with the play of our other wr's makes giving up a #1 for marshall unnecessary.

Have to disagree, Blu. We have 3 WRs that we know can play effectively. We have a fourth in the wings that we have yet to really see in Barden, and Dominik Hixon who is also a decent option for a 3rd receiver. Smith is already getting a rep--which is really what Burress had that our current crop of WRs don't have yet.

The guy in this video looks like he might command double-coverage very, very soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1PEf4BFub4

Meanwhile, we might have 3 safeties; no definite answer for MLB; two DTs that will hopefully be back to normal this coming season (Cofield and Canty), one more playing on a surgery-repaired knee for the first time (Alford), and another who might have been better off retiring 2 years ago. And we just lost Robbins, which may or may not be a bad thing.

We can't give up a #1 pick for a WR when the middle of our defense still looks like an interstate at 3 AM.

You know what else stretches the field and draws double coverage? A WR that averages about 20 yards /catch.

I really am not seeing why we're getting hot and bothered over Brandon Marshall. Even Steve Smith - our Steve Smith - has averaged more yards per attempt than Marshall over the last couple years. So has Nicks, and he did it as a rookie. What is so special about Marshall, other than the fact that he's been in the news (for all the wrong reasons)?

Because chicks dig the long ball and DC's fear the long pass. If you don't have a guy that can get behind the Defense, you don't have their attention. YPC doesn't matter as long as it doesn't end in 6pts..

Braylon Edwards, who was by no means stellar, opened up the field just enough for the

Jet's running game to prosper and also for Cochery to have some open lanes which resulted in big catches.

Look I know it's not going to happen but you're not going to change my mind that it should.

Have to disagree, Blu. We have 3 WRs that we know can play effectively. We have a fourth in the wings that we have yet to really see in Barden, and Dominik Hixon who is also a decent option for a 3rd receiver. Smith is already getting a rep--which is really what Burress had that our current crop of WRs don't have yet.

The guy in this video looks like he might command double-coverage very, very soon:

Meanwhile, we might have 3 safeties; no definite answer for MLB; two DTs that will hopefully be back to normal this coming season (Cofield and Canty), one more playing on a surgery-repaired knee for the first time (Alford), and another who might have been better off retiring 2 years ago. And we just lost Robbins, which may or may not be a bad thing.

We can't give up a #1 pick for a WR when the middle of our defense still looks like an interstate at 3 AM.

Nice video fish. wow, he had great games against the jets and new england. when did we play them?tongue.gif

Because chicks dig the long ball and DC's fear the long pass. If you don't have a guy that can get behind the Defense, you don't have their attention. YPC doesn't matter as long as it doesn't end in 6pts..

Braylon Edwards, who was by no means stellar, opened up the field just enough for the

Jet's running game to prosper and also for Cochery to have some open lanes which resulted in big catches.

Look I know it's not going to happen but you're not going to change my mind that it should.

I guess what Fish and Jim are saying is we already have star WRs (plural)... and they're in sync with Manning. Sure Getting Marshall would be great.. but wouldn't having a stud MLB be even better. Trust me judging by last season, I don't give a fuck about offense... the emotional roller coaster of us scoring then our D giving up 7 points 2 seconds later was unbearable.

I guess what Fish and Jim are saying is we already have star WRs (plural)... and they're in sync with Manning. Sure Getting Marshall would be great.. but wouldn't having a stud MLB be even better. Trust me judging by last season, I don't give a fuck about offense... the emotional roller coaster of us scoring then our D giving up 7 points 2 seconds later was unbearable.

i know what they're saying- I speak the language. wink.gif

Well, Nicks had more TDs/attempt than Marshall too. You want six, don't take that guy off the field. Especially not for a shithead like Marshall.

I think the difference between the Giants & Marshall and the Jets & Edwards is that the Jets had nobody else...Edwards was a massive upgrade. For the Giants, Marshall would be a marginal upgrade. Using a 1st on him wouldn't give us much bang for the draft pick buck, IMO.

I think the difference between the Giants & Marshall and the Jets & Edwards is that the Jets had nobody else...Edwards was a massive upgrade. For the Giants, Marshall would be a marginal upgrade. Using a 1st on him wouldn't give us much bang for the draft pick buck, IMO.

Cochery is at least as good as any Giants receiver with Eli throwing to him. You'll see this year. (Damn I gave away a FFL sleeper) it would be a tremendous upgrade for the whole offensel, IMO.

Well, Nicks had more TDs/attempt than Marshall too. You want six, don't take that guy off the field. Especially not for a shithead like Marshall.

Besides it's only one uncapped year.. if we have all these expensive superstars.. what happens next season when the cap is back? I'm good with our WRs... if it's not broken don't fix it.

Besides it's only one uncapped year.. if we have all these expensive superstars.. what happens next season when the cap is back? I'm good with our WRs... if it's not broken don't fix it.

We'll all be lucky if there's even a season next year, never mind a cap.

I'm not worried. I don't issue many guarantees but there will be football.

With the players not wanting to take pay cuts the the owners not wanting to give up their money, outside of one side caving in I can see no football in 2011. I mean the owners hold all the cards right now with TV contracts and the such that get paid regardless if the game is played or not.

I think it's time for the players to realize their real worth in this world, that their just playing a game and making millions off of something like it is ludicrous.

With the players not wanting to take pay cuts the the owners not wanting to give up their money, outside of one side caving in I can see no football in 2011. I mean the owners hold all the cards right now with TV contracts and the such that get paid regardless if the game is played or not.

I think it's time for the players to realize their real worth in this world, that their just playing a game and making millions off of something like it is ludicrous.

Yah, how many billions are owners slated to make regardless if they actually play the game? My dad was telling me it's some ridiculous number....

Yah, how many billions are owners slated to make regardless if they actually play the game? My dad was telling me it's some ridiculous number....

Yeah on some sports show I was watching the owners have it set up with Fox/ESPN ect all these TV contracts with hundreds of millions will get paid regardless of a NFL season or not.

It's almost like the owners were expecting there to be no football in the coming years.

The cap would be set as a function of the current salary obligations. If the average salary load for each team was wildly higher than before the uncapped year they'd set the new cap high to compensate and not ruin the league.

But that's not going to happen. Owners WANT a cap, players don't. Owners aren't gonna go screw themselves over. Maybe one or two will (I'm looking a you Dan Snyder) but the whole reason owners want the cap is so player salaries don't get out of control.

I have the feeling you are right and this will be a lot like the NHL strike. The problem is that although some teams can afford the current cap many teams can't which was the same situation in the NHL. The NFL players will have to be realistic and make some concessions so that all teams can be competitive and have a chance to win. Also I think a rookie pay system will be enacted and make bullshit rookie hold outs a thing of the past.

They're not just playing a game, they're generating billions of dollars for the owners and league. They're just aware of what they're worth to the guys upstairs.

For many years the Giants had adequate (at best) receivers. Mostly to match our barely adequate QB's. Toomer was a big upgrade over status quo.

Then, Burress came along and I saw how having that stud guy opens up the whole offense even if he doesn't catch a pass.

If we put Marshall out there, it will instantly make the OL better, the running game better, and the QB better. Manning would win MVP. The Defense will take a while to fix and this is an offensive league right now.

This is a move that will pay off immediately.

It's shit like this that me me proud to know Blunatic. That some kinda forward thinking, old timer.

The only thing is, I'd rather work on the defense.

I'd do it in a heart beat. No way you're guaranteed that kind of talent in the draft.

And he's only 25. Seattle will give the #14 maybe. We can throw in our #15 and sweeten the pot.

Do it, Reesey!

Not gonna happen.