SportsWrath

Ramses Barden

Sephiroth

I subscribe to the NYG podcast and try to keep up to date on all things Giants-related... and all I hear outta camp is about how Barden is nothing as advertised.

He's tall, but is actually QUICK off the line and is catching everything thrown his way. Also, from all accounts... his work ethic is second to none.

Man, I hope this guy pans out. I'm really rooting for him.

Anyways, enjoy. :)

Ramses Barden could be the tall target the NY Giants desperately need

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Monday August 10, 2009, 9:11 PM

Chris Faytok/The Star-LedgerNY Giants wide receiver Ramses Barden has shown signs that he could be the player to propel the team's passing game.

Related Content: Rating the performances of Giants wide receivers through camp

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Giants coaches teach their wide receivers to go get the ball at the highest point a player can first reach it.

Ramses Barden's highest point, as he proved late last week, is significantly above anyone else's.

During Saturday's one-on-one end-zone drills, Barden ran a fade to the left side of the end zone while being covered by rookie cornerback Stoney Woodson. A few plays earlier, backup quarterback David Carr didn't throw it high enough and Woodson knocked it away. This time, Rhett Bomar lobbed it high and at Barden's back shoulder, trusting (or perhaps daring) the 6-6 rookie to make the play.

Barden pivoted, separated from Woodson, jumped and reached his right hand about 10 feet into the air -- while Woodson could only remain on the ground and watch. With only his right hand, Barden snatched the ball and came down in bounds for a touchdown.

And then came the most impressive part for some of his teammates: Barden jogged back and flipped the ball to a member of the equipment staff.

"That play surprised me, but he seemed like he had done it before," third-year wide receiver Domenik Hixon said Monday during a break at training camp. "He didn't have to hoot and holler. He didn't have to say, 'Hey, look at me.' He's just doing his thing.

"But that's him. He just took care of business."

In a little more than a week here at camp, Barden has adjusted to the NFL about as well as anyone could have expected of a rookie making the leap from Division 1-AA/FCS Cal Poly.

The third-round pick has made plenty of catches over the top of smaller defenders, has used his big body well to create separation while grabbing a ball in traffic and has run some pretty smooth routes for a big guy. He even took a big chunk out of the "he can't get off the line quickly" criticism with a few impressive post-snap moves, including one quick shimmy that helped him blow right past cornerback Aaron Ross.

Barden's play has surprised a lot of people. Barden isn't one of them.

"I know what I'm capable of," he said. "All I'm doing is trying to be the player I can be. As far as surprises, they have to do with expectations. I didn't really come into this with expectations at all."

With his play to this point in camp, Barden is raising expectations.

"That one-handed catch was terrific. That's the kind of stuff we need," wide receiver Sinorice Moss said. "Using his size and those big hands, that's the kind of stuff you should expect from him. I know I do."

Asked Monday how the receivers are doing, quarterback Eli Manning mentioned Barden first.

"Ramses is doing really well," Manning said. "He's a big target, he's made some plays and he seems like he's got a pretty good feel for what's going on."

Barden has helped limit his mental errors by burying his nose in the playbook since receiving it at the start of rookie camp in May. Moss said he's also been asking a lot of questions. And Tuesday, while a lot of players are enjoying their first day off from practice in a week, Barden will be studying.

"Free time is at the end of February, I hope," he said.

Big words from a big man. But again, his own expectations are extremely high. Perhaps that best explains why there was no chest pounding or celebrating when he made that one-handed snag over Woodson.

And maybe it was also because he realized you-know-who was watching.

"I know Coach Coughlin doesn't stand for that stuff too much," Barden said with a laugh. "I want to show him I'm here to blend in and to play my role and do the best I can.

"I'm not a big celebrator. I'll celebrate with my teammates -- high fives and hugs -- but for the most part that's what you're going to get from me."

What negatives I have heard about him is that he has a hard time getting separation from the CB at the line of scrimmage. You need moves besides speed to get some separation. Speed is not going to fool pro corner backs. That might hold him back this year unfortunately.

What negatives I have heard about him is that he has a hard time getting separation from the CB at the line of scrimmage. You need moves besides speed to get some separation. Speed is not going to fool pro corner backs. That might hold him back this year unfortunately.

I dont know man. I watched him on day 1, and it seemed to me that its damn near impossible to cover him. The kid is a monster. If the ball is placed right, he's coming down with it.

His size can make up for some lack of moves, but lets keep in mind this kid came out of a no name school and he didn't really have to learn great moves to beat subpar competition. The moves will come as the coaching staff works with him....you can teach size and you cant teach speed and he has those two...There is nothing but upside for this kid who was a 3rd round pick.

His size can make up for some lack of moves, but lets keep in mind this kid came out of a no name school and he didn't really have to learn great moves to beat subpar competition. The moves will come as the coaching staff works with him....you can teach size and you cant teach speed and he has those two...There is nothing but upside for this kid who was a 3rd round pick.

So did Jerry Rice and Randy Moss.

You can teach moves, you can't teach speed, height or hands. You may be right that he'll be a while developing but I really think this kid will be productive for years to come. Great pick up.

Was it him or Nicks who didn't have gloves the first day of rookie camp because his hands are so big?

Nicks. Both of them are great catchers by the sounds of it.

From the Tuck interview:

JT: (Ramses) Barden is making a lot of plays and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Hakeem Nicks. Did you know he wears 4X gloves? I wear a 2X. He's got the biggest hands I've ever seen. I'm anxious to see what some of these guys can do in the games.

I've really gotta checkout a preseason game just to see what he looks like on the field. I stopped basing my hopes and dreams on training camp reports. Those 2003 NY Giants reports were amazing until the regular season started.

Constantly? Moss, Pennington and Leftwich. And Leftwich is questionable.

actually court jester, the dog would point out that quite a few respectable players came out of Marshall. Maybe not NFL royalty, but certainly respectable. Troy Brown and Frank Gatski come to mind...Mike Bartrum...more of a stretch but Olandis Gary was impressive and on his way to a potential solid career when he blew out his knee...the dog is pretty sure there are quite a few others...

didn't your not-so-secret crush of two years ago bradshaw go there? what, are you moving on and subjecting other giant RBs to your creepy advances until Bradshaw re-emerges?

Because Moss went there and they made a movie about it? :rolleyes: Its not a Div 1 school is my point.

:mellow:

Marshall plays in the Conference USA and in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) before that... The MAC and C-USA are both Division I conferences.

:mellow:

Marshall plays in the Conference USA and in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) before that... The MAC and C-USA are both Division I conferences.

ummm...sorry bigblue, but the dog guesses you were wrong on this one...officially that is around the 5th time that the dog can think of off hand, but since you want to discount the others, can we now call this bet officially over? the dog will await your signature change...thanks much.

I dont know man. I watched him on day 1, and it seemed to me that its damn near impossible to cover him. The kid is a monster. If the ball is placed right, he's coming down with it.

I'm praying :)