SportsWrath

Edwards or Boldin

BleedinBlue

Which WR would be better fit for the Giants?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR would be better fit for the Giants?

• Braylon Edwards
    • Anquan Boldin

Side by Side comparisons

Braylon Edwards: 6'3", 218 lbs, 26 years old - turns 27 after this nfl season is over on Feb. 21 - pro bowl selection 2007 (drafted 1st round, no. 3 overall) - faster, taller, and younger than Boldin, but dropped a lot of passes last year

Anquan Boldin: 6'1", 216 lbs, 28 years old - turns 29 this nfl season on Oct. 3 - 3 selections to pro-bowl (drafted 2nd round, no. 54 overall) - slower, shorter, and older than Edwards, but known as the most physical reciever in the NFL

Ahhhh shit!

Tried to make a poll, but must've screwed up because it doesn't show up. So I guess the thread becomes a discussion piece instead.

Personally, I prefer Edwards because he's almost 3 years younger than Boldin and can go up to get the jump balls better, but would be happy with either WR.

I'm glad that the Cards are finally shopping around to see what they can get for Boldin because it adds competition to Cleveland....thereby giving motivation for them to move Edwards quicker and cheaper than if he was the only stud reciever on the market. This should work favorably for the Giants.

Id actually prefer Boldin over Edwards.

Boldin is grittier and more physical, and IMHO would fit our team's offensive philosophy (pound the ball) better than Edwards, and has WAY better hands (not even close). Edwards is a better deep threat and taller, but could quickly wear out his welcome with the New York Media and fans after a few key drops.

I hate butter-fingered receivers. I'd take Boldin.

Id actually prefer Boldin over Edwards.

Boldin is grittier and more physical, and IMHO would fit our team's offensive philosophy (pound the ball) better than Edwards, and has WAY better hands (not even close). Edwards is a better deep threat and taller, but could quickly wear out his welcome with the New York Media and fans after a few key drops.

I hate butter-fingered receivers. I'd take Boldin.

I want either one, but Ive made it no secret that I want Boldin more than Edwards. The guy is a fierce competitor and does have great hands. Edwards I think gets a bad rap though. Because it was really only last yr that he had alot of dropped balls. I dont want to label him after only one year.

But if I have to chose....Boldin.

I want either one, but Ive made it no secret that I want Boldin more than Edwards. The guy is a fierce competitor and does have great hands. Edwards I think gets a bad rap though. Because it was really only last yr that he had alot of dropped balls. I dont want to label him after only one year.

But if I have to chose....Boldin.

Edwards only had the one good year while Boldin has been good since the beginning. Not only that but Arizona has had questionable QBs and RBs and Fitzgerald taking away from his stats. So in summation it's Boldin hands down.

Hmmm... I'm suprised at the amount of boldins. I have to take Edwards. Boldin continuously gets hurt, is not as big or fast as Edwards, and might be a product of a spread offense with Larry Fitzgerald being his counterpart.

Edwards, sure he's only had one great year, but has had shit QB's throwing to him the whole time in Cleveland, plus half that time, they've had no-one else to throw to, (Winslow was injured half the time).

So I vote Edwards! Especially considering possession recievers are a dime a dozen, and we already have a great one in Steve Smith.

I'm a Boldin fan. I'd prefer him over Edwards to be honest because you can't dismiss the guys ability. Numerous probowls (warranted that is). Tough physical receiver, good runner after the catch. Honestly, I think he'll catch stuff that Eli throws that may tend to be off target. Guy does a lot of the little things too, good downfield blocker.

Edwards has big play ability, great speed, but I think he comes with a bit more baggage, he's not as proven, even though signing the younger guy might make more sense. He's not as tough a guy as Boldin, it would be a bigger adjustment for him to fit into our physical offense setup.

That said, either one is a necessary upgrade, I'm fine with either one, but I'd prefer Boldin.

Braylon. He is one of the top deep threats in football, and has great after the catch ability. Boldin is not nearly as good a deep threat. What we're missing in this crop of WR's we currently have is someone to stretch the field. Edwards has that, Boldin does not.

I'd add size and speed to that as well. Plus the fact that he wasn't opposite a Larry Fitzgerald type.

Boldin is an excellent route runner and catcher with a talent for coming down with a contested ball. All that more than makes up for Edwards' size & speed advantages IMHO.

I haven't seen much of Edwards though to be honest but Boldin impresses the hell out of me.

I think what it comes down to is this: Which one will continually draw double coverage?

I believe Edwards is more apt to draw the double coverage because of his height and speed. By drawing double coverage, it opens up the game for the possession recievers like Smith, Manningham, and even Hixon. I don't think Boldin is enough of a deep threat that he would draw the double coverage and like someone already pointed out, he's benefitted greatly because he played across from Fitzgerald who always draws double coverage.

Plax's biggest contribution (IMO anyway) is that he opened up the lanes for Toomer and Smith because he was always draped with 2 defenders.

Truth is, I'd be happy with either one, but I think Edwards would be the overall better choice just because he'll draw the double coverage. Edwards would make Smith, Hixon, Manningham, etc. better (assuming all those guys are still on the team and not traded for him).

Boldin hands down. People mention injuries, but he bounced back from each one and still produced. Boldin is exactly the kind of player we want here. He is a football player willing to do whatever is necessary to win. Its amazing to me to see Boldin year after year produce on a team that excelled at losing. It would seem that his ability to catch isn't affected by whats going on around him.

There is no point in being younger, faster and taller if you can't come down with the ball?

Boldin hands down. People mention injuries, but he bounced back from each one and still produced. Boldin is exactly the kind of player we want here. He is a football player willing to do whatever is necessary to win. Its amazing to me to see Boldin year after year produce on a team that excelled at losing. It would seem that his ability to catch isn't affected by whats going on around him.

There is no point in being younger, faster and taller if you can't come down with the ball?

Excellent point. It's not like he's sitting out for weeks with 'turf toe' or playing at a diminished capacity for half the season. He got his skull caved in (freak injury) and came back posting 100+ yard, multi-TD games.

And all the 'deep threat potential' in the world doesn't mean shit if you can't catch the ball. NY fans are not very forgiving of missed opportunities; ask Shockey & Hixon. Whichever way you stack it Boldin is the proven producer.

Cowhurd this morning was saying how zona is in the drivers seat because they are so deep and such a well run organization.

What? They were 9-7 in the worst division in football- they have no running game and they way overpaid for an aging fragile QB while their future QB remains untested. Dynasty?

Boldin hands down. People mention injuries, but he bounced back from each one and still produced.

People mention this

no more than people mention Braylon's drops.

I posted this in another thread, but it's appropriate here.

National Football League

Scoreboard | Stats | Standings | Teams | Players | Player News | Injuries | Transactions | Home

NFL Individual Leaders: Receiving

Receiving Categories: NFL | NFC | AFC

NFL Leaders: Passes Dropped (Thru Dec. 30, 2007)

Rank Player Team Stats

1t Dallas Clark Ind 12

1t Braylon Edwards Cle 12

3t Reggie Bush NO 10

3t Devery Henderson NO 10

3t Santana Moss Was 10

3t Terrell Owens Dal 10

7t Randy Moss NE 9

7t Brian Westbrook Phi 9

9t Brandon Jacobs NYG 8

9t Brandon Marshall Den 8

9t Shaun McDonald Det 8

9t Steve Smith Car 8

9t Kellen Winslow Cle 8

14t Marty Booker Mia 7

14t Desmond Clark Chi 7

14t Ronald Curry Oak 7

14t Warrick Dunn Atl 7

14t Anthony Gonzalez Ind 7

14t Frank Gore SF 7

14t Earnest Graham TB 7

14t T.J. Houshmandzadeh Cin 7

14t Darrell Jackson SF 7

14t Chad Johnson Cin 7

14t Amani Toomer NYG 7

There is only one person in the top 10 that hasn't made a pro bowl (I believe). And the entire list is filled with top of the line players.

To me, there's no question...Edwards. In fact, it's not even close. Don't get me wrong, Boldin is a good player. But some of his stats are inhanced do to the fact he plays in the NFC west. While Braylon Edwards played against good defenses like Pittsburg, Baltimore, and Cincinnati (Ok, they don't count).

Plus, Boldin did something that really concerns me. Against Philadelphia, when it was obvious Boldin could not get open against the Eagles secondary. He was sat down... After the game, when Cardinal won to go to the SB. Anquan was no where to be found. That rises a major red flag for me...

Giants | See Boldin as No. 2 receiver

Comment (0) Tweet me!

Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:38:49 -0700

Mike Garafolo, of the Newark Star-Ledger, reports the New York Giants see Arizona Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin as a No. 2 receiver but are said to be higher on Boldin than Cleveland Browns WR Braylon Edwards.

KFFL.com

It does not help Edwards that he only has one pro bowl worthy season to stand on. Boldin is not in the top ten of that list, went to the pro bowl in 2006, and had nearly as many receptions as Edwards did in 2007 in fewer games.

Mike Garafolo, of the Newark Star-Ledger, reports the New York Giants see Arizona Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin as a No. 2 receiver but are said to be higher on Boldin than Cleveland Browns WR Braylon Edwards.

KFFL.com

I don't believe Reese would say something to the press to reveal his true intentions. Right now, he is playing poker with Cleveland and it's impossible to see a bluff if that is what it is.

If Reese really was higher on Boldin, he wouldn't tell the world or the price goes up and the Cards have the advantage.

Reese and the gang have a plan and we won't know for sure what that is until it's a done deal.