SportsWrath

PLAX RELEASED

Lubeck

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...co-burress.html

April 3, 2009

Giants cut Plaxico Burress

Updated: 3:27 p.m.

The Giants spent the past four months insisting they would stand beside the troubled Plaxico Burress. Today, they decide to let him stand alone.

In a shocking, final twist to the four-month-long soap opera, the Giants announced today that they have released the troubled receiver who famously shot himself in the thigh on Nov. 29. Just three days after he showed up in a Manhattan court to ask for a delay in his court case, the Giants announced they won’t wait to see how it all turns out.

“I am an optimist, and I believe most situations can be worked out,” Giants GM Jerry Reese said in a statement released by the Giants. “We hung in there as long as we could in hopes that there could be a resolution to this situation other than the decision we made today to release Plaxico. It wasn’t to be, so now we have to move on.”

It’s not at all clear why the Giants had a sudden and dramatic change of heart. Reese has insisted many, many times that the Giants would be willing to bring the 31-year-old receiver back. And just two weeks ago he insisted that everyone in the organization was “on board” with that possibility, even though the team’s co-owners and Tom Coughlin had notably not said the same thing publicly.

Coughlin had said he needed to give Burress’ situation more thought before he made any decision. His lone statement today said nothing about why Burress was no longer welcome on his team.

“Plaxico’s contribution to our championship season in 2007 can never be underestimated or undervalued,” Coughlin said in the team‘s press release. “He displayed tremendous determination throughout that season. Having said that, I have always been as concerned about Plaxico as a man as I have been about him as a player, and my hope is that everything that has happened over the past several months represents a turning point. He is a young man with a family who has a whole lifetime ahead of him, and I personally wish him and his family well.”

There was never a guarantee, of course, that Burress would even be eligible to play for the Giants again. He’s facing two felony counts of criminal possession of a loaded and unlicensed weapon, stemming from the late-November shooting at The Latin Quarter. That crime carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 ½ years in prison, and so far, according to sources familiar with the case, the Manhattan District Attorney has not been willing to accept any plea deal that doesn’t at least include some jail time.

With Burress not due back in court until June 15, any jail time would likely take him through training camp and possibly into the 2009 season. He’s also facing a likely suspension from the NFL for violating the league’s Personal Conduct Policy.

Sucks, but the reality is we're ok. We have enough draft picks to make a trade for a premium wide reveiver, make no mistake, we will need to trade for one, going into the season with Smith and Hixon and a rookie as the top 3 receivers would be a mistake, but I think this clinches the fact we will get Braylon. In fact, I'll go on record now saying we will make that move within the next few days.

Thanks for the ring Plax, but you're a dip shit and deserve it, just for being so stupid.

the giants had no choice, plax forced their hand....reese is very gangsta, he did what he had to do. With all the draft picks we have, Im sure this guarantees that we trade for a WR. I think Edwards will be a Giant come draft day.

Thanks for your tremendous 2007 play Plax....but..to quote the cop in the epic film Menace 2 Society..."You know you dun fucked up"

not sure why people are so high on Braylon Edwards.

I think they should try to move back out of the first and then sign two WRs in the second rd.

people are high on edwards becuase he is a legit number 1 receiver in the NFL that is 6'3. I agree they need to draft a WR or two, but since they have so many picks, a trade for Edwards is a good idea.

Plaxico and his agent are still going after the fucking $1 million bonus. For all the grief he's given them in 2008, you'd think he'd say he'll pass on it and move on. He and his team just don't seem to get it.

Now it's time for us to move on. I got no problem with this at all. Sure his presence will be missed, but I'm sure we get more cap space now and you got 2 guys out there on the radar.

This has Coughlin's thumbprints all over it

He pushed out Tiki, Toomer, Shockey, and now Burress......also refused to even consider bringing back Strahan when Osi went down

Coughlin has now gotten rid of anyone who had the audacity to speak back to him

He is THE KING........we'll see how the king does now that he has gotten all he asked for.

Bellicheck operates under pretty much the same atmosphere and thrives so we'll see......Bellicheck also has Brady

He pushed out Tiki, Toomer, Shockey, and now Burress......also refused to even consider bringing back Strahan when Osi went down

He is THE KING........we'll see how the king does now that he has gotten all he asked for.

Bellicheck operates under pretty much the same atmosphere and thrives so we'll see......Bellicheck also has Brady

So instead of trading Burress, he can now go to Dallas or Philly or the Skins and torture us

i think he may stay home for a while to drive the 3 year old to school.

Actually he should really spend some time at the local gun range, help with his discharge problem....and accuracy.

Ok I've had my crack at Plax. Thanks for the memories Plax I was hoping you would be back but since it's looking like you wouldnt of been able to play for the first couple months anyways before the Fuhrer Commish had a chance to chew you out, it was better for us to cut our losses now.

Coughlin had absolutely nothing to do with the Toomer, Burress and Strahan situations

Coughlin had absolutely nothing to do with the Toomer, Burress and Strahan situations

silly bastard, coughlin controls the very essence of time, he can at will age players and force them to their retirement.

There is so much BS in this statement I wouldn't even know where to start