SportsWrath

So can we get a QB now?

BlueInCanada

5 hours ago, K3VIN said:

If there is a guy in the draft who you say is the next Lamar , Mahomes , Goff , Allen go get him. If not don’t waste another 1st rounder on the DJ

I was so excited that draft thinking that Josh Allen (DE) had just fallen into our laps and then when Jones was announced it was just stunned silence.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

I was so excited that draft thinking that Josh Allen (DE) had just fallen into our laps and then when Jones was announced it was just stunned silence.

The  got us even more excited in that 1st game against the Bucs when he had 2 rushing and 2 passing TDs including a comeback win - whelp......we've fallen a long way since. I still support him fully - but hell, if the coaches really love a guy this draft then theres no way they pass up on him esp when he can sit and develop behind DJ atleast for a year. If DJ pans out and continues to be the started well - win-win. If not we will have the guy we want ready to go.

9 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

The  got us even more excited in that 1st game against the Bucs when he had 2 rushing and 2 passing TDs including a comeback win - whelp......we've fallen a long way since. I still support him fully - but hell, if the coaches really love a guy this draft then theres no way they pass up on him esp when he can sit and develop behind DJ atleast for a year. If DJ pans out and continues to be the started well - win-win. If not we will have the guy we want ready to go.

Daniel Jones's career has been saved and he'd been paid handsomely based on like a handful of games (e.g. this one, playoff game in MN) where he flashed brilliance...even though he's injury prone and wildly inconsistent enough that he's not a true franchise QB.

His career and contract hinge on this house of cards of like five great games he's played over 6 years. lol

- Tampa Bay 2019

- 2 games, Detroit and the Jets. 4 TD games

- Minnesota 2022 (Playoffs)

- Indy 2022 (4 TD game to help the team make the playoffs)

If you strip out these four regular season games and the playoff game, Daniel Jones's stats and body of work looks like that of a backup QB at best. For instance, if you strip out the two 4 TD games in 2019, which seems like ages ago, his TD/INT ratio is 54/40...and that's in five years.

Back on Caleb Williams. When I watch this guy, I notice a few things:

- Over reliance on improvisation, reluctance to hang in the pocket. He all too often breaks the pocket if his first read isn't there. Definitely the classic college "If your first read isn't there, scramble and/or run for it..." It's not that improvisation isn't a part of the NFL, but an overreliance on broken plays.

- Often times when he moves in the pocket, or scrambles, he moves/runs himself into trouble. Lacks good pocket instincts.

- His arm strength often times seems average. Guys like Maye and Daniels have far better arm strength. At times he also seems like he has an elongated release.

- He has so many plays where he floats the ball, including off his back foot, and I guarantee those would be interceptions in the NFL.

- When his team was down this season (especially in the 2nd half of the season) and he needed to lead them back, he never really did, and he actually looked very mediocore in these situations.

- Brendan Rice, who's a stud and maybe a sleeper in the draft, seemed to bail him out on so many questionable throws.

- 8 fumbles in 12 games. Not a guy who protects the ball.

Daniels is way to skinny for the NFL especially with how he plays. 

JJ McCarthy is they guy i say “ I can’t believe he wasn’t the first pick “ or he’s the classic “most pro ready” QB who always seems to fail 

1 hour ago, K3VIN said:

Daniels is way to skinny for the NFL especially with how he plays. 

JJ McCarthy is they guy i say “ I can’t believe he wasn’t the first pick “ or he’s the classic “most pro ready” QB who always seems to fail 

Daniels is 6'4 210.

Williams is 6'1 215.

McCarthy is 6'3 202

Penis 6'3 213

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

Daniels is 6'4 210.

Williams is 6'1 215.

McCarthy is 6'3 202

Penis 6'3 213

Daniels can probably put on some good weight too. I’m not worried about his build. 

I have a feeling he’s the guy. 

No matter what we do, we're not contending for a while. But we can be competitive and improve. It's so obvious to everyone I can't believe it needs to be said but...

We have to pay Jones $40 million (although I think the 2nd year goes up to $50 million) anyway so just invest in the O-line. They have roughly $35 million in cap space right now. Cut Glowinski, restructure Thomas and Lawrence, cut Robinson, Boogie and Brightwell and Bada Bing Bada Boom, they've got close to $72 million in cap space. Sign (G) Mike Onwenu from New England, and (OT) Robert Hunt from Miami and that line instantly becomes a top o-line with Thomas and Schmidt.

Gotta build up the whole team and then get a QB next year when DJ can be cut or traded. The line can't be ignored any longer. Hell, with a line like that, and enough cap space, we may be able to keep Saquon and really let him do his thing. I just feel like this year's QB class isn't spectacular and we'd just be reaching again. There are some decent backup QB's available this year to get us through if need be (think Kerry Collins or Warner before Eli) if either Jones goes down or just outright outplays him until we find our franchise guy. I'd take Baker in a heartbeat with the way he played last year. 

Things have to change, they just do. And they have to change smartly.

From the McCarthy tape I've watched, he just looks like a regular, completely non-descript QB. Like, he's fine in the same way that pre-injury Chad Pennington was fine.

3 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

From the McCarthy tape I've watched, he just looks like a regular, completely non-descript QB. Like, he's fine in the same way that pre-injury Chad Pennington was fine.

Your right but he made some big throws. He’s just played in a run first offense 

10 hours ago, BronxRik said:

No matter what we do, we're not contending for a while. But we can be competitive and improve. It's so obvious to everyone I can't believe it needs to be said but...

We have to pay Jones $40 million (although I think the 2nd year goes up to $50 million) anyway so just invest in the O-line. They have roughly $35 million in cap space right now. Cut Glowinski, restructure Thomas and Lawrence, cut Robinson, Boogie and Brightwell and Bada Bing Bada Boom, they've got close to $72 million in cap space. Sign (G) Mike Onwenu from New England, and (OT) Robert Hunt from Miami and that line instantly becomes a top o-line with Thomas and Schmidt.

Gotta build up the whole team and then get a QB next year when DJ can be cut or traded. The line can't be ignored any longer. Hell, with a line like that, and enough cap space, we may be able to keep Saquon and really let him do his thing. I just feel like this year's QB class isn't spectacular and we'd just be reaching again. There are some decent backup QB's available this year to get us through if need be (think Kerry Collins or Warner before Eli) if either Jones goes down or just outright outplays him until we find our franchise guy. I'd take Baker in a heartbeat with the way he played last year. 

we may not be competitive, but it’s unlikely we draft this high again WITH the extra draft capital to move around with to get our guy. 

QB at 6 or earlier. 

10 hours ago, BronxRik said:

The problem with waiting to draft a QB and developing the team though is what happens if the QB is a bust? Or more so what happens when everyone else needs to get paid and suddenly you don't have money because you have to pay the franchise guy.

The 49ers would be in this situation if the last pick in the draft didn't develop.onto a franchise guy after taking Trey Lance.  

Look at the Jets they were ready to compete but had to suffer through Wilson and now the Rodgers ordeal.

I'd much rather be a team like the Texans who by all rights don't have much talent on that team but found their franchise guy. 

Granted the biggest thing about taking a QB isn't the team but how the QB develops.

It's such a crap shoot with any QB, with the vast majority becoming nothing more than backup level. 

We got lucky with Eli. 

But you still have to take a QB and the Giants are in the best spot now to go get one with contracts coming off the books and having a top 10 pick. 

Not to mention we can still go get other positions later in the draft or free agency.

It's much easier to get a crop of WRs then it is a QB in free agency.

All good points and why I'm not an NFL GM. I've never been a Jones guy, but he's the guy in there and while I think he's been given plenty of time to develop, he hasn't been given the tools to develop. Or, should I say, the right tools to develop. That line has been bad for, what, over a decade? But not as bad as it's been while DJ has been QB. And 2023 was just laughable. I am of the firm conviction that if we somehow managed to land CJ Stroud last year, he isn't as successful here as he was in Houston, and neither will any rookie we manage to land this year if that's the route we go. Plus....DJ....all that money just to watch him fail? 

I don't know dudes. There's just so much to be done that's not gonna get fixed in one offseason. I wish there was a way to just dump everyone, zero out our cap and go build a team with $255 million dollars from scratch.