SportsWrath

So can we get a QB now?

BlueInCanada

We can now carry DJs contract without it killing the cap space for next year (after restructures and cuts that is)

I'm on the train that we trade up to #2/#3 and get whichever QB that Schoen and Daboll want to die on the hill for.

Because it wont be Jones lol

We need a QB, and this is presumably the best chance for the Giants to get one since they drafted Jones.

Trading to #3 in all likelihood would only take two/three second round picks, and a late round pick.

The team needs a Veteran Backup/Starter (Mayfield/Minshew) this season...    Keep Tommy Cutlets as the 3rd QB.  When Jones is healthy he's the #1.    When he gets hurt again the team will have that Vet to step up be the starter, keeping everyone's favorite Italian one injury away from making a superbowl run!

12 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Or we can draft best OL available at 6 and draft Penix in the 2nd, or trade back into the first for him.  

Penix doesn't make it out of the top 15 despite his injury history I imagine.

The league is starved for talented QBs or ones that can compete with Mahomes/Allen. 

Someone will take the risk and grab him in round one and just pray he doesn't repeat his already plagued injury career. 

I would suspect him to be gone in that 10 to 13 stretch - Vikings/Raiders/Jets/Broncos. 

13 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I might rather take Harrison Jr. if we are trading up...

Or just take a RT and try Neal at G.

Wouldn't hate getting a QB in 1st if we can somehow trade Jones

Don't know what saves the most space a trade or a cut.

A trade might work but it would need to be a Brock Oswilller situation where we send Jones and a second to some team with cap space just to get it off our books. 

The cost to move up into top 3 I think is too much.  If Harrison goes top 3, maybe you make the jump to 4 for your 3rd QB...but yeah...I am officially in the camp of stay at 6 unless you are getting Harrison.

If I were to bet today, 3 QBs and 1 WR go before 6.  The other pick will either be. WR or OT.

At 6, we could be looking at Nabors or Odunze or 2nd best OT in draft

12 minutes ago, jranieli said:

I don't want to give up next years first just to move up. 

Especially if we are looking to have one of these rookies starting week one at QB, most likely we will be selecting in the top 10 again next year.

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Penix doesn't make it out of the top 15 despite his injury history I imagine.

The league is starved for talented QBs or ones that can compete with Mahomes/Allen. 

Someone will take the risk and grab him in round one and just pray he doesn't repeat his already plagued injury career. 

I would suspect him to be gone in that 10 to 13 stretch - Vikings/Raiders/Jets/Broncos. 

He’ll shoot up after the combine. Maybe work back into the top ten and we can grab him

10 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Please draft a qb. 

There is zero chance that Schoen and Daboll are risking their careers on Jones and I doubt they survive a 3-14 season to get another top 5 pick for a QB next year. 

GMs and coaches don't think 4 years down the road anymore simply because they don't have the time too.

The Giants need a QB and they are in a position to get one. 

A rookie resets the clock they have here as well. 

19 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

There is zero chance that Schoen and Daboll are risking their careers on Jones and I doubt they survive a 3-14 season to get another top 5 pick for a QB next year. 

GMs and coaches don't think 4 years down the road anymore simply because they don't have the time too.

The Giants need a QB and they are in a position to get one. 

A rookie resets the clock they have here as well. 

This right here.  They are not wedded to DJ and they are averse to the unemployment line based on Gettleman's choices.  If they caught lightning in a bottle with DJ, fine but they did not.  A second string QB with one read ability reverted badly in 2023.  A decent backup for a couple of games but no number one, in most football people's opinion.  Schoen and Daboll are not morons.

16 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Beane on trading for Allen, keep in mind this is Schoens mentor.  

We are getting a QB boys, hold onto your butts. 

For sure.  Good attitude.  Plus if Schoen and Daboll die with DJ they will be basically unemployable on an NFL level for the next few years I believe.

On 2/27/2024 at 9:54 AM, Mr. P said:

Please draft a qb. 

I don't think anybody in the world currently thinks that Jones is the answer at QB.  We have a high pick, now is the time to draft the QB of the future. 

On 2/27/2024 at 10:41 AM, gmenroc said:

The cost to move up into top 3 I think is too much.  If Harrison goes top 3, maybe you make the jump to 4 for your 3rd QB...but yeah...I am officially in the camp of stay at 6 unless you are getting Harrison.

If I were to bet today, 3 QBs and 1 WR go before 6.  The other pick will either be. WR or OT.

At 6, we could be looking at Nabors or Odunze or 2nd best OT in draft

If you trade up, there's NO WAY you trade up for anything other than a QB.  The Tom Bradys and Pat Mahomes' of the world are what wins you Super Bowls, not the Larry Fitzgeralds and Terrell Owens.'  This year's postseason was Exhibit A on why having a top-flight QB is MUCH more important than anything else on your team.  

Also, I don't understand the "wait until everything else is in place to draft a QB" mindset.  If you're a franchise that is a perennial winner you can afford to do this (Smith to Mahomes, Favre to Rodgers, etc) but you'll have to let your guy develop on the bench for a while since he's unlikely to be a top-5 pick.  Take a look at the Texans, Bills,  Bengals, etc;  their teams all turned around within two years of drafting a QB in the top ten.   It's the quickest way to start winning.