SportsWrath

So can we get a QB now?

BlueInCanada

8 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's on coaching to a point but eventually the QB has to make the reads.

If it was that easy every team would have a franchise QB. 

As it stands there's maybe what? 12 or 13 guys who play the position and have the mental ability to be a winning QB in the NFL.

The rest have physical attributes but just can't get the mental side of it down, or vice versa. 

He went to Duke and seems like a smart guy, but he might have been better off being a doctor. 

2 hours ago, jranieli said:

ALSO very important: DJ's career-best 2022 season came with strict rules - if you don't like your 1st read, quickly scan to the B gap and run! In 2023, DCs adjusted. They stopped rushing him to allow for B gap runs. They stopped crashing EMOLs to stop Barkley on zone read and bootleg PA under center. They forced DJ to process the field BEYOND his first read, with his brain, and get rid of the ball to a second or third read. Would it be crazy, after FIVE years of tape, to think that DJ simply can't get that job done?”

This is so spot on. 

8 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

It was definitely really bad. But 2nd worst ever? ---- Is that going by total sacks?

I felt like I was seeing as many poor QB decisions as I did jail breaks on the offensive line. The whole 2023 QB room was known for causing sacks. 

This... and I have watched long term.  They were not good by any measure... however the Giants QB's especially DJ caused a bout 25% of the sacks.

7 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Tyrod actually had a pretty good avoiding sacks rating, Divito was mid, Jones is last in the NFL lol 

I'll need to find the twitter thread but with the DJ hate piling on this offseason there have some pretty interesting deep dives into Jones and his ability.

Needless to say he's a historically bad QB who never had a chance with the Giants lol 

This Tyrod is a pure backup that had more pocket presence than DJ and actually looked downfield a time or two as opposed to running with the first read did not pan out.

7 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

this thread goes pretty deep on Jones.

Does a good job pointing out the entire coaching staff was getting mad at Jones for his inability to read past his first look and his run second tendencies he's had since he was a rookie. 

This is not college where you play half of your games against No Can Play U, who can not cover the outside run if their lives depended on it.

3 hours ago, jranieli said:

He went to Duke and seems like a smart guy, but he might have been better off being a doctor. 

Duke is not an NFL powerhouse feeder for that reason.  They may be good with the college game where a flawed QB can be an all American.  NFL with these genius DC's and good defenses would and did eat him alive.  LT's era DJ would have been hospitalized his first year or two. ;)