SportsWrath

Time to start talking QBs

Sephiroth

BICs 5 step plan.

Step 1) See if we have a back up in DiVito, and actively look for a trade partner for Jones, even if it costs a late round pick if we can split the cap with some team all the better. 

Step 2) Draft Marvin Harrison Jr with our top 5 pick. We haven't had a play making WR since OBJ and JR is a dynamic #1. 

Step 3) Package both second round picks to move up to pick #32 with whoever wins the SB.

Step 4) Draft Big Dick Penix.  

Step 5) Win some fucking games yo. 

It's tough. We probably won't be in a spot to land Caleb Williams. Drake Maye, eh...NC runs a simplistic one read offense where he's not asked to think to much, and I just see him as slow to get through his progressions, not great at reading coverages, quick to pull the ball down and run rather than stand in the pocket and find an open receiver. He's got bust written all over him; he's a lot like DJ "If your first read isn't there, just fucking run for it."

Then you have the next tier, Penix, Nix, McCarthy. Penix and Nix are guys that were mehhh on their former teams, but then thrived when transferring into the Pac 10. Tough to say if they genuinely improved or are products of a system, but I like both of these guys better than Maye. Penix seems quicker to get through progressions and read defenses, plus I've seen him through into tight windows at times and make plays, so I guess I give the slight nod to him. His issues though are injuries....two injuries to the same ACL, and a shoulder injury, but he's been healthy the last two years in the Pac 10. That injury history may be enough to drop him to the 2nd round actually, so perhaps Nix is the better solution.

Haven't seen enough of McCarthy, but he's a baby that probably needs a year on the bench before being ready. Meanwhile, Nix is a 5th year senior who will be 24. I keep coming back to Nix.

52 minutes ago, mastershake said:

It's tough. We probably won't be in a spot to land Caleb Williams. Drake Maye, eh...NC runs a simplistic one read offense where he's not asked to think to much, and I just see him as slow to get through his progressions, not great at reading coverages, quick to pull the ball down and run rather than stand in the pocket and find an open receiver. He's got bust written all over him; he's a lot like DJ "If your first read isn't there, just fucking run for it."

Then you have the next tier, Penix, Nix, McCarthy. Penix and Nix are guys that were mehhh on their former teams, but then thrived when transferring into the Pac 10. Tough to say if they genuinely improved or are products of a system, but I like both of these guys better than Maye. Penix seems quicker to get through progressions and read defenses, plus I've seen him through into tight windows at times and make plays, so I guess I give the slight nod to him. His issues though are injuries....two injuries to the same ACL, and a shoulder injury, but he's been healthy the last two years in the Pac 10. That injury history may be enough to drop him to the 2nd round actually, so perhaps Nix is the better solution.

Haven't seen enough of McCarthy, but he's a baby that probably needs a year on the bench before being ready. Meanwhile, Nix is a 5th year senior who will be 24. I keep coming back to Nix.

That's funny... I did about 45 minutes worth of film study this weekend on Maye, and I came to the exact opposite conclusion.  To me he looked much better at getting to his second read (and sometimes third) than Williams., the latter of whom seemed to stare down his first option and then dance in the backfield when that guy was covered (hell of a dancer though, to be fair; dude pulls a rabbit out of his hat like nobody else).  Maye looks slow scrambling too, but has a hell of an arm. 

I'll know for sure once I've reached 50 minutes of film study on who to draft, so don't take anything out of this yet. 

15 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Also okay if we take Harrison at WR and shore up the offensive line this year...suck in 2024 and grab our QB in 2025 after DJ can be jettisoned.

I'd be fine with that and bringing in Gardner Minshew. Sign him to a 3 year $18M contract or something, and let him be your QB1 next year, then quality backup the next two years. The dude is a baller.

52 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

That's funny... I did about 45 minutes worth of film study this weekend on Maye, and I came to the exact opposite conclusion.  To me he looked much better at getting to his second read (and sometimes third) than Williams., the latter of whom seemed to stare down his first option and then dance in the backfield when that guy was covered (hell of a dancer though, to be fair; dude pulls a rabbit out of his hat like nobody else).  Maye looks slow scrambling too, but has a hell of an arm. 

I'll know for sure once I've reached 50 minutes of film study on who to draft, so don't take anything out of this yet. 

I probably watched the wrong two Drake May games this year, lol, so take what I said with a grain of salt. 

If he has anything going for him, his predecessor Sam Howell has been decent considering the circumstances, that this is basically his inaugural year, and he's playing with a shit OL. He's had his ups and downs but he could be something if they put an OL in front of him. Maye's style of play seems similar.

I just got wind of Williams' "crying in his mama's arms" after his last game.  The NY Media will kill him the first time he does anything like that here. 

Definitely a big strike against him.  You have to be mentally tough as shit to play here. 

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Caleb Williams reminds me of the old Fran Tarkenton escape factor when he was with the Giants then Vikings.  I like Nix going into this draft.  Am also content with shoring up the OL, DL and DB, while using a stopgap QB.  I think we can go whole hog on a QB in 2025.  I just say don't panic because DJ is done.  This is an opportunity hidden within a tragedy.  This does not have to be a tragedy for the Giants and could be a first step in getting better.

Just now, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Caleb Williams reminds me of the old Fran Tarkenton escape factor when he was with the Giants then Vikings.  I like Nix going into this draft.  Am also content with shoring up the OL, DL and DB, while using a stopgap QB.  I think we can go whole hog on a QB in 2025.  I just say don't panic because DJ is done.  This is an opportunity hidden within a tragedy.  This does not have to be a tragedy for the Giants and could be a first step in getting better.

If they don't love anyone in this draft and wanna trade back 2-3 times to build capital for next season, that's not a horrible idea.  I don't think the front office would be into that though.  We're likely to have a top-5 pick and no QB to speak of;   trading back only kicks the rebuild down the road another year, and if in year 4 with a rookie QB the team still isn't competitive the writing will be on the wall for Shoen and Daboll. 

11 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

If they don't love anyone in this draft and wanna trade back 2-3 times to build capital for next season, that's not a horrible idea.  I don't think the front office would be into that though.  We're likely to have a top-5 pick and no QB to speak of;   trading back only kicks the rebuild down the road another year, and if in year 4 with a rookie QB the team still isn't competitive the writing will be on the wall for Shoen and Daboll. 

For sure man... they should just draft to be fair and/or decent next year.  The real deal year is 2025, if they do not step up then... then Buffalo Bills South needs to end.

4 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Also okay if we take Harrison at WR and shore up the offensive line this year...suck in 2024 and grab our QB in 2025 after DJ can be jettisoned.

^^^This is the non "knee jerk reaction" solution, along with signing Minshew or some other vet to get us through 2024. We're going to suck balls from now thru mid 2026, maybe early '27 regardless. Plan accordingly. Then take Arch Manning in the 2025 draft. It's all gonna fall into place, just watch. 

1 hour ago, BronxRik said:

^^^This is the non "knee jerk reaction" solution, along with signing Minshew or some other vet to get us through 2024. We're going to suck balls from now thru mid 2026, maybe early '27 regardless. Plan accordingly. Then take Arch Manning in the 2025 draft. It's all gonna fall into place, just watch. 

Bears might fuck it up tho with two picks in the top 3.  Could take a OT and Harrison and roll with Fields easily enough...but that puts a QB not named Caleb of our choice there for the taking...