SportsWrath

An Ode to Jones.

BlueInCanada

The organizations (Maras and Tisch's) really owe Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley an apology for ruining their careers, most notably with putrid OL's year after year. Imagine if these two were on competent franchises, and what they could have done elsewhere.

At least to this point for these two, who may go on to do great things elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The organizations (Maras and Tisch's) really owe Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley an apology for ruining their careers, most notably with putrid OL's year after year. Imagine if these two were on competent franchises, and what they could have done elsewhere.

At least to this point for these two, who may go on to do great things elsewhere.

Nothing new for us really the last 10 years.

Or any franchise who has been the bottom feeder franchise for a period of time.

Think of guys like Thomas or Dex, they are looking at another two-three years before the team is in any state to get running.

2024: Draft a QB and start the build but Jones is still on the book and many pieces are leaving in FA.

2025: Rookie QB hopefully has a year of experience and is progressing, keep building the team and recover pieces lost in FA.

2026: QB is ready to go out and win the division if everything goes well and that's a big IF depending on if Mara has fired Daboll and Schoen by that point lol

Both of these guys will be at the end of their contracts (if they havent requested a trade) and in their late 20s, arguable wating their best years waiting for the team to rebuild.

Jones and Saquon had the same treatment as you said after the FO failed to rebuild around Eli or just pull the trigger on moving on.

9 minutes ago, mastershake said:

They completely squandered the end of Eli’s prime with this crap too.  Every other great qb from that era got to go out throwing weak passes in playoff games and we had him running for his life 

5 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Nothing new for us really the last 10 years.

Or any franchise who has been the bottom feeder franchise for a period of time.

Think of guys like Thomas or Dex, they are looking at another two-three years before the team is in any state to get running.

2024: Draft a QB and start the build but Jones is still on the book and many pieces are leaving in FA.

2025: Rookie QB hopefully has a year of experience and is progressing, keep building the team and recover pieces lost in FA.

2026: QB is ready to go out and win the division if everything goes well and that's a big IF depending on if Mara has fired Daboll and Schoen by that point lol

Both of these guys will be at the end of their contracts (if they havent requested a trade) and in their late 20s, arguable wating their best years waiting for the team to rebuild.

Jones and Saquon had the same treatment as you said after the FO failed to rebuild around Eli or just pull the trigger on moving on.

Jones and Saquon actually have talent and potential to be good, but were squandered by being here. Is there any other QB and RB drafted in the top 10 we can really say about that? As in they're actually good players, not busts, but just went to terrible terrible organizations who squandered them.

1 hour ago, Firstnten said:

Good bye Danielle Jokes. He's guaranteed 81 million of which i think 35 of it was paid to him this year. If the reports are true he's never going to be the same again as far as a running QB. He started out as a turnover machine and now is an injury machine. There is no upside on keeping this guy. there is a lesson here don't draft QB's from Duke.

I wrote this in another thread.  Duke QB's starting with Dave Brown are cancers.  They are guaranteed to be big men on campus despite their lack of overall talent.  Teams like the Giants Brain Trust at least under Getty seem to love these small medium school dweeb QB's.  It is beyond belief at this point.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Very true as well, if it was that easy we'd have 32 franchise guys in the NFL.

As of this year there's maybe 11?

Just look at all the Young vs Stroud debate last year, Young was clearly the higher ranked prospect by all the pundits and draft gurus.

Stroud is on his way to break every rookie record with a fairly average team and Young isn't looking to hot.

Really at a certain point... you pays your money and you take your chances... as the saying goes. ;)

15 hours ago, mastershake said:

Golden words brother....this is my exact thought

On 11/6/2023 at 12:13 PM, gmenroc said:

I think Jones looking and acting like Eli had a lot to do with his being (over)drafted.  Not talentless, but not great either.

Stick a fork in him...

I remember posting about this as well.  Getty's presser was pretty much "this guy has the chance to be the next Eli Manning."

Eli had a great career here, but let's keep in real... how many teams are looking for "the next Eli Manning?"  The "next Joe Montana," yes.  The "next Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre," all yes.  The "next Eli Manning?"  He's an all-time Giants great, but on the bottom rung of all-time NFL greats, if that. 

For the next QB, I'd like to shoot higher than .500 career winning percentage as far as projections go.

Don't think 2x SB MVP and +.500 winning % are mutually exclusive.

Eli is a Giants icon, despite many in the fanbase, myself included who believe he was above average, clutch at opportune times, and an iron man of a player...but also inaccurate at times and just as good as some of the guys who were also in his draft class when it came down to it.

I won't disparage him and think he will be in HoF, but I am not gonna be on yhe front championing that cause either...

13 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I remember posting about this as well.  Getty's presser was pretty much "this guy has the chance to be the next Eli Manning."

Eli had a great career here, but let's keep in real... how many teams are looking for "the next Eli Manning?"  The "next Joe Montana," yes.  The "next Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre," all yes.  The "next Eli Manning?"  He's an all-time Giants great, but on the bottom rung of all-time NFL greats, if that. 

For the next QB, I'd like to shoot higher than .500 career winning percentage as far as projections go.

You were "Warner's Thumb" on the GMB, weren't you? Commie bastard. 

22 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I'd take a two time SB winning QB with a .500 career record over any if not most QBs right now lol 

I definitely don't blame Eli for the .500 record. He was the best player on some truly awful teams from 2012 to 2019.

I look at that January 2017 game in Green Bay as a perfect illustration of his late career issues.... pass after pass hitting receivers in their hands, in stride... dropped. Average game by the receiving corp that day and the Giants are in it and maybe win it. 

4 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I definitely don't blame Eli for the .500 record. He was the best player on some truly awful teams from 2012 to 2019.

I look at that January 2017 game in Green Bay as a perfect illustration of his late career issues.... pass after pass hitting receivers in their hands, in stride... dropped. Average game by the receiving corp that day and the Giants are in it and maybe win it. 

This... I have seen Giants QB's over the long haul and Eli definitely had "IT"... so did Tarkenton, Simms, Hostetler, Warner, Collins and Eli... IT is a rare and precious commodity.  Eli could impose his will on special games that you only see in any sport from GOATs... Eli was one of them.  I would take this list of QB's over much of what is out there then and now.

No shine on anyone here... most of the .500 QB mantra is basically the ultimate product of Giants haters from other franchises who needless to say have not had the same level of success as the Giants over the decades.  I am not including the 69'ers and/or Broke Backs into this equation.  For the most part, both of those franchises are pretty insular.

18 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I just don't think he's the bar you aim for with your first round QB.

Granted... he came on at the right time for the right organization back when he was drafted.  He probably would not be a good fit for now.  As much crying as people do for DJ with crap offensive lines... Eli had mostly crappy offensive lines.  Dude would get clobbered and get up and throw for the next play.  He would have to be way more mobile these days.