SportsWrath

An Ode to Jones.

BlueInCanada

You ran away on the field, and with our hearts.

To bad you couldn't pass as good as you could run. 

Your a good dude on a bad team, and picked at a time when you weren't needed. 

I'll miss you DJ as a leader but not as a player, and will be glad when the ordeal is done with and both sides can move on.

It's a shame your contract will keep you one more year. 

Weird situation for Jones and the Giants.  If you assume we're in the market for a top of the draft QB, and since Jones contract pretty much ensures he will be on teh team next season, it creates a weird situation.  Sure, from the Giants perspective it is a good theoretical situation of having a rookie sit behind a competent qb for a season instead of being thrown to the fire.  But do you do that to Jones?  One injury filled year behind a terrible offensive line and no weapons when the world pretty much agrees we did not set him up to succeed, after signing the big contract to be the qb of the future.  I guess you can look at it as an opportunity to interview for the rest of the league, but that is a pretty shitty situation to put him in.  

17 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Weird situation for Jones and the Giants.  If you assume we're in the market for a top of the draft QB, and since Jones contract pretty much ensures he will be on teh team next season, it creates a weird situation.  Sure, from the Giants perspective it is a good theoretical situation of having a rookie sit behind a competent qb for a season instead of being thrown to the fire.  But do you do that to Jones?  One injury filled year behind a terrible offensive line and no weapons when the world pretty much agrees we did not set him up to succeed, after signing the big contract to be the qb of the future.  I guess you can look at it as an opportunity to interview for the rest of the league, but that is a pretty shitty situation to put him in.  

I think of it the way I think of the Eli situation when they drafted Jones.

Eli counted 17 million against the cap, and after week two was the NFLs most expensive back up.

Jones will count for 27+ million and will be the leagues most expensive back up.

Or maybe the Giants get lucky and a team trades for Jones, say a 5th round pick and the Giants eat some of the cost, but saving space. I'd very easily trade say Jones and a fourth for another teams 5th if they meant getting say %40 of his cost off the books.

18 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I don't think it's that complicated.

If we draft a QB, Jones will be around for one more year until we can cut him with cap savings in 2025.

At this rate he'll likely be a backup.

And with that realization, maybe he restructures accordingly?

But yeah, we failed him and he failed us.  If this year has shown anything, it's that here is plenty of blame to share

He was a second/third round QB who was drafted he a drunk old man who didn't want to rebuild the team. 

He wasn't the QB we needed then, Infact a QB was far from the thing we needed then.

He's been a leader and a class act in a city that chews up underperforming players and spots them out.

I thought his rookie year was a sign of things to come. 

He was a gun slinger who could make plays with his legs but he was a turnover machine.

Coaching was able to cut down his turnovers but in part he lost a part of what made him a threat, he was consistently looking for the big play and guys downfield. Now he is staring down his first read and scrambling at any sign of pressure. 

He'll be remember as the mid to low tier QB he is but the Giants will always have the improbable playoff run and win against Minny and his first game against Tampa. 

Maybe if he was following another shitty QB then he would of been looked at in a better light but Eli is a tough act to follow. 

47 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

It’s not a fun situation for him but 

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Worked out for Drew Brees pretty well, in a nearly identical situation assuming we draft a QB. 

9 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Or better yet don't draft a guy projected to go late second or third round in the top 10 lol 

Getty should be tried with crimes against humanity. 

I agree 100% with this, but it's really more of an NFL problem and not a Getty problem. 

Look at Trey Lance.  The dude was Colin Kaepernick, who was originally a mid/high 2nd round pick, but the Niners had to spend a #2 overall pick to have a shot at him.   Is he even in the league anymore? 

QB FOMO in the league is real, and unless you have a top-5 pick in a year with a stacked QB class you're forced to overspend unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I agree 100% with this, but it's really more of an NFL problem and not a Getty problem. 

Look at Trey Lance.  The dude was Colin Kaepernick, who was originally a mid/high 2nd round pick, but the Niners had to spend a #2 overall pick to have a shot at him.   Is he even in the league anymore? 

QB FOMO in the league is real, and unless you have a top-5 pick in a year with a stacked QB class you're forced to overspend unfortunately. 

That is true as well when you think you found your QB draft him at all costs. 

Can't win in the NFL if you don't have one of the top tier guys anymore, and even if you do there's no guarantee you'll win without the proper coach or team, as the Chargers are showing lol 

Good bye Danielle Jokes. He's guaranteed 81 million of which i think 35 of it was paid to him this year. If the reports are true he's never going to be the same again as far as a running QB. He started out as a turnover machine and now is an injury machine. There is no upside on keeping this guy. there is a lesson here don't draft QB's from Duke.

1 hour ago, Herc said:

Scouting and drafting qbs is hard.  The amount of first round qbs drafted since the qb wage scale was implemented that made it to a second deal is like 39%.  I think Mahomes is the only 1 with a Super Bowl 

Very true as well, if it was that easy we'd have 32 franchise guys in the NFL.

As of this year there's maybe 11?

Just look at all the Young vs Stroud debate last year, Young was clearly the higher ranked prospect by all the pundits and draft gurus.

Stroud is on his way to break every rookie record with a fairly average team and Young isn't looking to hot.

6 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Also if it is a complete ACL tear like reports are saying, his return is what? 2024 Week five or six at best?

The Giants may just have to eat his dead cap space since he'll be collecting a cheque regardless.

If it's as bad as rumor suggest, he's not getting back until November 2024, which means the Giants are definitely going to be looking at other options at QB, most likely through the draft. 

Just take the $40M in cap space and the giants three 1st-2nd round picks. That gives us 6-7 premium moves. Take a top QB with in the 1st (Penix looked good on Saturday, and there's also Bo Nix...5th year guys who can probably come in right away), and use the rest of the assets on the OL and DL respectively. 3 to 4 OL, 2 DL, and a QB.

Use the mid-late round picks and lower tier FA's elsewhere (WR, DB, RB).

Also bring in a backup QB like Gardner Minshew. Dude's a freakin baller over there for Indy, who at least makes the offense competent.

5 minutes ago, mastershake said:

And forget the Evan Neal experiment. He's a dud. Keep him around to compete for a backup spot at guard or something but you don't go in to 2024 expecting him to start anywhere on the OL. Backup G at best at this point.

Neal played very well yesterday before the injury.

Depending on whom the Giants top in the top 5, if they took Olu and put him at RT, then kicked Neal inside to guard you may have found his home for the next number of years.

Neal would be a much better guard than tackle IMO.

My worry with the QBs is four of the top 5 draft teams need a QB, the Cards, Bears (who got two picks in the top 5), Giant and Pats, could all select a QB respectively. We may need to trade away draft capitol to get our guy, which we cant really afford.

Granted if we keep tanking with Tommy "Tank Commander" DiVito and the Cards and Bears play next week, we may be able to leap frog into the #2/3 spot.

10 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Neal played very well yesterday before the injury.

Depending on whom the Giants top in the top 5, if they took Olu and put him at RT, then kicked Neal inside to guard you may have found his home for the next number of years.

Neal would be a much better guard than tackle IMO.

My worry with the QBs is four of the top 5 draft teams need a QB, the Cards, Bears (who got two picks in the top 5), Giant and Pats, could all select a QB respectively. We may need to trade away draft capitol to get our guy, which we cant really afford.

Granted if we keep tanking with Tommy "Tank Commander" DiVito and the Cards and Bears play next week, we may be able to leap frog into the #2/3 spot.

We probably won't be in a position to land Williams or Maye, but we should be above the Pats in the draft order, to get Penix, McCarthy, or Nix.