SportsWrath

An Ode to Jones.

BlueInCanada

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

They will argue the defense was more deserving of the mvp...but it's a QB award anymore

and to that I say, without Eli and that final drive they were the team that Almost beat the greatest team ever assembled, the undefeated patriots. 

3 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I agree with you... today I would wince at the price they paid for him back then.

Surely you jest my friend. San Diego went nowhere with Rivers or any of the picks. Yeah they had winning seasons, but never got to the game that matters. They got a kicker in Nate Keading and Shawne Merriman (who was more interested in being a steroid enhanced celebrity than a football player). Hell, they traded one of the 5th rounders which eventually got traded to Tampa Bay.

2 Superbowl rings, 2 SB MVP's, a stretch of Giants pride, and one of if not THE top plays in SB history was worth every penny and I'd do it all over again if the opportunity came up. 

Wince? I think not. 

7 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Surely you jest my friend. San Diego went nowhere with Rivers or any of the picks. Yeah they had winning seasons, but never got to the game that matters. They got a kicker in Nate Keading and Shawne Merriman (who was more interested in being a steroid enhanced celebrity than a football player). Hell, they traded one of the 5th rounders which eventually got traded to Tampa Bay.

2 Superbowl rings, 2 SB MVP's, a stretch of Giants pride, and one of if not THE top plays in SB history was worth every penny and I'd do it all over again if the opportunity came up. 

Wince? I think not. 

Wince yes... the price was very high.  Look at our draft picks now... most were slated for greatness and are mostly backups or hot garbage.  A guy like Eli comes along once every 10-20 years... so if you pull the trigger you are taking a chance.  That being written I would take that chance... however I am one who believes in insurance... and that was the equivalent of walking off a cliff and hoping the lines that keep you from hitting the rocks below hold.  I like a GM who goes all out... lest no forget Gettelman and his belief that his misfits were the answer either.  When it works it works... it is more an art and not a science. :laugh:

10 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

When it works it works... it is more an art and not a science. :laugh:

Of that we are in total agreement. How many Heisman busts are out there? The draft is a total crap shoot. And by no means does it mean that if the same deal came up we would have the same success. However, knowing what we know about the S.D. deal, I make that deal without question. 

6 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Of that we are in total agreement. How many Heisman busts are out there? The draft is a total crap shoot. And by no means does it mean that if the same deal came up we would have the same success. However, knowing what we know about the S.D. deal, I make that deal without question. 

Of course... you roll your dice and take your chances.  Be bold... don't hesitate.

On 11/11/2023 at 4:26 PM, gmenroc said:

They will argue the defense was more deserving of the mvp...but it's a QB award anymore

And I’d say go watch those playoffs again.   Maybe the d gets the glory in the Super Bowl, but Eli was the best player on the field during the entire playoff run. 

2 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

And I’d say go watch those playoffs again.   Maybe the d gets the glory in the Super Bowl, but Eli was the best player on the field during the entire playoff run. 

All of which were road games btw....including two in Green Bay which is about as unforgiving a place to play in January as there is.

C. Wagon