SportsWrath

Catholic Game Day

gmenroc

22 hours ago, boohyah said:

Daboll and the coaching staff fucked up a lot last night. It's as much of a learning moment for them as anybody. Little too much hype in the offseason.

This big time.  Best to have an absolute trash game on 9/11... the nadir for the City and the Region.

21 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I thought it might have happened on the first drive, when he drew the personal foul while sliding. A teammate picked him up immediately, and Jones had a bit of a dazed look in his eyes.

Yep... got smacked hard.  He has to go through his progressions better and lay off some of the runs.  I think they should look at his helmet as well.  Something is not right with his gear.  Whenever I dropped my motorcycle severely (like three times) I would always get a new helmet as the crash protection is compromised.  A mere 5% can mean the difference between death, scrambled eggs for brains and walking away with a few scratches

47 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Yep... got smacked hard.  He has to go through his progressions better and lay off some of the runs.  I think they should look at his helmet as well.  Something is not right with his gear.  Whenever I dropped my motorcycle severely (like three times) I would always get a new helmet as the crash protection is compromised.  A mere 5% can mean the difference between death, scrambled eggs for brains and walking away with a few scratches

The runs are part of why he’s a good qb.  I hope he never stops running. 

12 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Doesnt really matter - no QB is gonna be able to do anything when all sides collapse around him in under 2 sec and you dont exactly have a Jefferson or Chase on your team. Shake it off - Arizona's defense really played well against the Commanders. Im more keen on seeing how this offense responds against the Cards next week

This is how I feel 48 hours later too.  The starters played one series in the preseason... then came out in a torrential downpour.  Yeah they looked like shit, but let's see how they look next week in sunny Arizona and we can say they suck from there. 

5 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Oh...and good to see Peart is getting an MRI along with Thomas.  Might have to start Ezeudu at LT if those guys can't go.

Fun times.

Honestly, we needed to pick somebody up there anyway.  I think if you have to plug in an over-the-hill Justin Pugh or Jason Peters you're probably going to get the same production as you would out of Big Pussy Peart. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The runs are part of why he’s a good qb.  I hope he never stops running. 

The runs are good.... keep running... however run smartly.  He will get hammered out there otherwise.  Simple physics... guys are 250lbs plus coming at you in two's and three's like guided missiles... while you have to thread between them while holding onto the ball.  Not an easy feat.  Plus we believe to his benefit that he suffered a minor concussion at least on that first drive.

4 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

The runs are good.... keep running... however run smartly.  He will get hammered out there otherwise.  Simple physics... guys are 250lbs plus coming at you in two's and three's like guided missiles... while you have to thread between them while holding onto the ball.  Not an easy feat.  Plus we believe to his benefit that he suffered a minor concussion at least on that first drive.

I don’t believe he was concussed.  

we would have heard about it, concussions don’t really go unnoticed like that anymore.  

it’s probably soothing to think he was concussed and that played a part in the game, I just don’t buy it. 

and if he was/is concussed and they are covering it up, I’d want everyone involved fired. 

Micah Parsons is right: 

“I do not agree with Daniel Jones staying out there until that last drive. I thought that was wrong. I thought it was deceiving, that’s your franchise quarterback and he’s out there with a backup offensive line, still getting sacked and hit. I just didn’t understand, maybe it was a prove-it moment by the Giants, I have no idea. A learning lesson. Who knows?”

21 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

eh, the running is a crutch. A QB that isn't good without running isn't really a good QB. 

i never claimed Jones was a “really good” qb. 

and I think also that’s outdated thinking.  

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

i never claimed Jones was a “really good” qb. 

and I think also that’s outdated thinking.  

well, if its outdated thinking then we'll see players with those sorts of tendencies begin to succeed at the highest levels. And I'm not talking regular season awards either. (Lamar Jackson, LOL.) 

The exception that proves the rule: Steve Young could have played running back, but he didn't win shit until scrambling was an afterthought in his game. 

The ability to run is a nice bonus, but look at it like this: the worst athlete you know --- not the worst athlete in the NFL, but the worst athlete, period ---- can throw a football faster than the fastest person in the NFL can run. Talking up the ability to run in a QB is like talking up bayonets on guns. 

43 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

well, if its outdated thinking then we'll see players with those sorts of tendencies begin to succeed at the highest levels. And I'm not talking regular season awards either. (Lamar Jackson, LOL.) 

The exception that proves the rule: Steve Young could have played running back, but he didn't win shit until scrambling was an afterthought in his game. 

The ability to run is a nice bonus, but look at it like this: the worst athlete you know --- not the worst athlete in the NFL, but the worst athlete, period ---- can throw a football faster than the fastest person in the NFL can run. Talking up the ability to run in a QB is like talking up bayonets on guns. 

The ability to get a first down in a play that otherwise would be a sack, is good. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

QBs who can run it's another weapon that defenses have to worry about.

Before and by that I mean the 90s early 2000s defenses had a natural advantage on the field, being able to ignore the idea of the QB actively moving the ball 99% of the time, allowing a defender to roam free.

Now you NEED a someone to spy a QB or defend the outside if the QB is a threat of taking off for 6 yards a carry. 

I'm not saying a QB who ONLY rushes will win, Justin Fields is a good example, he's probably the best rushing QB the NFL has ever seen the dude is straight smooth on the field out running and making defenders miss.

However you can't trust him to complete a pass beyond 4 yards lol  

But more QBs can rush than pass well in the NFL, I mean of the 32 starting QBs, you can maybe point to 10 to 12 who are legitimately good passers. 

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

The ability to get a first down in a play that otherwise would be a sack, is good. 

sure, doesn't matter how you get there, but its more likely to be able to do that via a pass than a run.

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

QBs who can run it's another weapon that defenses have to worry about.

Before and by that I mean the 90s early 2000s defenses had a natural advantage on the field, being able to ignore the idea of the QB actively moving the ball 99% of the time, allowing a defender to roam free.

Now you NEED a someone to spy a QB or defend the outside if the QB is a threat of taking off for 6 yards a carry. 

I'm not saying a QB who ONLY rushes will win, Justin Fields is a good example, he's probably the best rushing QB the NFL has ever seen the dude is straight smooth on the field out running and making defenders miss.

However you can't trust him to complete a pass beyond 4 yards lol  

But more QBs can rush than pass well in the NFL, I mean of the 32 starting QBs, you can maybe point to 10 to 12 who are legitimately good passers. 

I remember when Randall Cunningham 'changed the game', we all said this same shit back then too.  Before that, my older football fam enlightened me that back in the '70s we said the same shit about Bobby Douglas and Archie Manning. The mobile QB isn't a new thing, it was just something that went out of fashion because its relatively ineffective. And its still relatively ineffective. 

When the day comes we're seeing most championships going home with QBs that are better runners than passers, then my view on this will change. As of today, there has never been a single one. Despite being twenty some years into the era of the 'mobile QB'. 

oh, and here's a concerning observation about Dallas's defensive scheme: their edges gave zero fucks about respecting the hand off. They were basically daring Barkley to find the cutback lane (which he never did), and instead committed to hitting Jones at every opportunity.

In a way, it was validating to see a team take what I've said for years is the way to attack a run-focused QB ---  just hit the fucker, hit him when he runs with it, hit him when he hands it off and fakes a bootleg, just fucking hit him. Its in the game, if he's a runner or pretending to be a runner, he's a fair target. Finally, I see a team put that game plan in effect, and of course, its against the Giants, and of course, it worked. Way too well.

To me, it looked like a blueprint for taking apart the Giants offense. Barkley doesn't have the vision to punish a D for that level of aggression, and Jones, well WTF is Jones supposed to do if the D doesn't bother to respect the other options on offense and we're running a scheme based on misdirection? 

Hopefully that's a game plan that only works when you're like four or five talented edge players deep, including Parsons. But I don't know, every NFL team has athletes. 

9 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

oh, and here's a concerning observation about Dallas's defensive scheme: their edges gave zero fucks about respecting the hand off. They were basically daring Barkley to find the cutback lane (which he never did), and instead committed to hitting Jones at every opportunity.

In a way, it was validating to see a team take what I've said for years is the way to attack a run-focused QB ---  just hit the fucker, hit him when he runs with it, hit him when he hands it off and fakes a bootleg, just fucking hit him. Its in the game, if he's a runner or pretending to be a runner, he's a fair target. Finally, I see a team put that game plan in effect, and of course, its against the Giants, and of course, it worked. Way too well.

To me, it looked like a blueprint for taking apart the Giants offense. Barkley doesn't have the vision to punish a D for that level of aggression, and Jones, well WTF is Jones supposed to do if the D doesn't bother to respect the other options on offense and we're running a scheme based on misdirection? 

Hopefully that's a game plan that only works when you're like four or five talented edge players deep, including Parsons. But I don't know, every NFL team has athletes. 

It also helped Dallas being up 16-0 in the blink of an eye, they could take the risk of giving zero fucks about Barkley possibly busting one in the shit rain

4 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

sure, doesn't matter how you get there, but its more likely to be able to do that via a pass than a run.

I remember when Randall Cunningham 'changed the game', we all said this same shit back then too.  Before that, my older football fam enlightened me that back in the '70s we said the same shit about Bobby Douglas and Archie Manning. The mobile QB isn't a new thing, it was just something that went out of fashion because its relatively ineffective. And its still relatively ineffective. 

When the day comes we're seeing most championships going home with QBs that are better runners than passers, then my view on this will change. As of today, there has never been a single one. Despite being twenty some years into the era of the 'mobile QB'. 

having the ability to run is better than not being able to.  

and I’m not saying I want him to run more than pass, or that I want him to be a better runner than passer.

but being able to turn a play that was going to be a sack or a throwaway, into a first down or more, is better than not being able to do that. 

4 hours ago, GorillaNJ said:

It also helped Dallas being up 16-0 in the blink of an eye, they could take the risk of giving zero fucks about Barkley possibly busting one in the shit rain

it also helped Dallas we gave up on the run after one drive. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

and I’m not saying I want him to run more than pass, or that I want him to be a better runner than passer.

but being able to turn a play that was going to be a sack or a throwaway, into a first down or more, is better than not being able to do that. 

Yep 

44 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

lol, I understand, but you did say that his ability to run is what makes him 'good'.  I think if the QB's most effective trait is his ability to run, then he's not a good QB at all.

A thought experiment ---- an average passer, but the very best QB in the league due to his ability to run; just how good a runner is he? We've seen Mike Vick out there, motherfucker was a half step shy of Gayle Sayers, and still not a good (enough) QB. This hypothetical QB, who's he run like? Jim Brown? Would even that be good enough?