SportsWrath

Draft thread?

BlueInCanada

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

What's the % chance of guys in the 4th round or later turning into starters? It's gotta be something like 15%? Very small.

I wonder if any analytics gurus have crunched the numbers on this.

Granted that doesn't mean these guys aren't helpful even if they're not starters.

Actually it's almost universal across the board. 

I know I linked the article here before but it was in 2019/2020.

PFF looked at the average starter/length on team vs the round they were drafted in.

If you have a first round pick that makes it beyond four years you are basically above average for a first round pick.

After that it goes down to on average two years on a team for anything outside the first two rounds. 

Basically if you have 7 picks in the draft most teams would average two or three guys remaining from that draft on the team after four years, regardless of where they were drafted. 

Anything beyond that your lucky. 

3 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Actually it's almost universal across the board. 

I know I linked the article here before but it was in 2019/2020.

PFF looked at the average starter/length on team vs the round they were drafted in.

If you have a first round pick that makes it beyond four years you are basically above average for a first round pick.

After that it goes down to on average two years on a team for anything outside the first two rounds. 

Basically if you have 7 picks in the draft most teams would average two or three guys remaining from that draft on the team after four years, regardless of where they were drafted. 

Anything beyond that your lucky. 

Ahh thanks, yes I recall now.

Grade
A-

New York Giants

Day 2 draft picks

Day 1 grade: A

Analysis: General manager Joe Schoen traded down twice in the second round to accumulate mid-round selections. His pick, Robinson, was Kentucky's offense in 2021 by using his change of direction and toughness (despite his slight build). Ezeudu was another solid pick who's able to play inside or outside as he continues to grow into his frame. The Giants used the third-round pick gained in a trade with Miami last year to select the lean Flott to play in the slot with his agility and toughness. They could use a tight end early on Day 3.

Whelp, not gonna lie... I'm extremely disappointed in this draft, and honestly I'm not quite sure of the direction of this franchise. Lots of draft capital that was squandered on reach picks, "potential" guys, and role players.

Joe Schoen did not inspire confidence and I worry about the future of the team if this is how he evaluates talent. We've seen the "GM who reaches because he's smarter than everyone" before and it never ends well. 

This was pretty much the last shot to acquire quality talent but I'm only seeing three, maybe four guys that'll be on the team in four years. That ain't good when you had ten picks. 

Of course let's see how it works out... but I'd be stunned if this works out. 

1 minute ago, Sephiroth said:

Whelp, not gonna lie... I'm extremely disappointed in this draft, and honestly I'm not quite sure of the direction of this franchise. Lots of draft capital that was squandered on reach picks, "potential" guys, and role players.

Joe Schoen did not inspire confidence and I worry about the future of the team if this is how he evaluates talent. We've seen the "GM who reaches because he's smarter than everyone" before and it never ends well. 

This was pretty much the last shot to acquire quality talent but I'm only seeing three, maybe four guys that'll be on the team in four years. That ain't good when you had ten picks. 

If we had three of four guys who work out we would be a statistical anomaly.

I'd be happy with two.

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

My hot take. Joe Schoen grades:

Day 1: A+

Day 2 (2nd-3rd): C+

Day 3: (4-7): B

Overall: B+. I think we'll get 2-3 longtime starters from this draft, and maybe a few contributors.

That is my grade overall... as well.  I think a solid B+ beat C- under DG any day....

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt this draft.  Two guys being all world and two guys just hanging on would be great.  These are not the drafts of the 80's and early 90's before free agency.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

If 2-3 of these guys end up as long-term starters, that's a success, and I think that will happen with this group.

Anything else you get on top of that (e.g. contributors, role players) is icing on the cake.

There was a few head scratchers in the 2nd-3rd but I think it'll be fine. That Guard they got seems like a decent prospect, and if Robinson is used properly he can work out. My only real issue is Brisker was there in round 2 and we didn't take him (I'm very concerned with our safety depth), and there were better corners then Flott available in round 3 pick 81.

49 minutes ago, mastershake said:

My hot take. Joe Schoen grades:

Day 1: A+

Day 2 (2nd-3rd): C+

Day 3: (4-7): B

Overall: B+. I think we'll get 2-3 longtime starters from this draft, and maybe a few contributors.

If this is the case then we need to stop praising round 1. It was more of a gift wrap from the jags, Texans,and jets for pushing all the tackles options which lead us in taking a no brainer DE. 

I got chubby reading this profile on the 6'8" TE we got as a FA:

Dane Brugler on Austin Allen

**SUMMARY**: A three-year starter at Nebraska, Allen lined up inline and detached in head coach Scott Frost’s multiple offense. He enjoyed a career year as a senior(named the Big Ten’s top tight end) and set several program records at the tight end position, including single-season catches (38) and receiving yards (602). With his height, catch radius and strong hands, Allen was a consistent chain-mover on tape and his athletic profile suggests upside as a route-runner. He uses sound angles to get into position as a blocker, although his taller stature and narrow base hinder his sustain and finish skills. **Overall, Allen doesn’t have dynamic route skills to easily uncover, but he is a contested catch monster with the traits that suggest there is more meat on that bone. He has intriguing development potential on Day 3.**

**GRADE: 6th-7th Round**

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I'm wondering how we're going to pay 3-4, never mind 10. Really was hoping we traded some of those picks for '23 picks. 

Pretty sure if we the people are thinking about money, so was Schoen. 

We knew going in that there were lots of holes in the roster. I thought we filled out some positions of need besides the first three pick. I like the 3rd pick. I don't care about the others if they are in position of need. Gotta start over from what the team was given. 

1 hour ago, jranieli said:

We knew going in that there were lots of holes in the roster. I thought we filled out some positions of need besides the first three pick. I like the 3rd pick. I don't care about the others if they are in position of need. Gotta start over from what the team was given. 

Agreed; the first two picks were a no-brainer but the WR tells me they’re going to run some special plays like screens and quick slants to keep the defenses honest.

14 hours ago, BronxRik said:

I'm wondering how we're going to pay 3-4, never mind 10. Really was hoping we traded some of those picks for '23 picks. 

Pretty sure if we the people are thinking about money, so was Schoen. 

Half of these picks will have low cap numbers ($1M-$1.2M or so), so if they make the roster, they simply replace another player who was also making a low cap number, for only a small net increase or a net wash. For instance, say we keep Darian Beavers with a cap number of $1M, and he takes Cam Brown's spot, Brown has a cap number of around $1M, that it's essentially a wash. We didn't add to our cap number here.