SportsWrath

Giants cut a DB

BlueInCanada

The saving are small, less than a million.  This is one of those Giants doing the right thing and giving the player a chance on the market now instead of June.  Logan Ryan didn't make the impact in his second season that he had in the first one.  He was another player on the roster who was making a lot more money than we can afford based on results.  Lets see what Julian Love makes of this opportunity.

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Doesn't save anything this season 775k.

But saves 8 million next year. 

So what’s the point of cutting him now instead of next year?  His play was good wasn’t it?

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

We actually do save from what I read...his 2022/23 salary was only guaranteed as of 3/19...cutting him now I think saves that.

Or something along those lines.  It creates a big chunk of dead money, but we do save.

You just answered my question above.

His contract was ridiculous anyway when you think about it. He was paid like an impact player but he wasn't one. I have no issue with this at all. 

Not sold on Love at all. This makes me think about what Schoen said about best player on the board and Hamilton being there at 5. Could explain the offensive lineman signing also. 

I think Hamilton is a stud, but I don't think he should be the pick. 

The more I look at it, the more I think this year is strictly cutting it to bare bones and starting over with essentially McKinney, Toney, Ojulari, and Thomas being the only ones worthy of long term considerations.

I didn't think they'd cut that much away, but we sucked pretty hard, so none of these moves should be as questionable as we might initially think

10 hours ago, mastershake said:

Do we need a safety now? Julian Love was an okay rotational guy for nickel and dime packages, but he want exactly knocking anyone's socks off.

I'd say at least we need some depth now.

Could they be considering drafting Kyle Hamilton?

as a rotational guy, Love is great.

As a starter?.... uh...... I guess we'll see, unless Kyle Hamilton is the target. I'm not loving that 4.6+ speed though. 

21 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

as a rotational guy, Love is great.

As a starter?.... uh...... I guess we'll see, unless Kyle Hamilton is the target. I'm not loving that 4.6+ speed though. 

McKinney ran a 4.63 and a 4.65 at the combine. 

He's becoming one of the best coverage safeties in the NFL.

39 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

McKinney ran a 4.63 and a 4.65 at the combine. 

He's becoming one of the best coverage safeties in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure McKenney ran a little over 4.6, but had a leg injury during his first run, didn't attempt a second run. And he went on to be a second round pick.

I'd fall all over myself to pick Hamilton if he falls to the second round. He won't. 

Safeties are an enigma. You can get away with a Safety with 4.6 speed in the right scheme/team fit. It's like a running back. 4.6 isn't blowing anyone away, but that meets the basic requirements for the position in the NFL. You'd never match him up with a Tyreke Hill type or anything, but he can cover TEs, can play in the box, can play double high safety, etc. I'm not too worried about the speed.

You also need to factor in the other agility/burst metrics. The 40 yard is a good measure of long speed, but there are other measures which are better indicators of quickness and explosion, such as vertical jump (38 inch is very good), broad jump (he had the 2nd best), cone/shuttles (his numbers here fine). As a frame of reference, his 20 shuttle was on par with Kadarius Toney, Kyle Pitts, Erik Stokes, from last years draft.

I'm not worried about his numbers. He's obviously a better player playing downhill, but I think he'll be a fine pro if he can stay healthy. Having said all that, do I want the giants to invest the #5 or #7 pick in him? I'm not sure yet. Need to think about it more. 

42 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Safeties are an enigma. You can get away with a Safety with 4.6 speed in the right scheme/team fit. It's like a running back. 4.6 isn't blowing anyone away, but that meets the basic requirements for the position in the NFL. You'd never match him up with a Tyreke Hill type or anything, but he can cover TEs, can play in the box, can play double high safety, etc. I'm not too worried about the speed.

You also need to factor in the other agility/burst metrics. The 40 yard is a good measure of long speed, but there are other measures which are better indicators of quickness and explosion, such as vertical jump (38 inch is very good), broad jump (he had the 2nd best), cone/shuttles (his numbers here fine). As a frame of reference, his 20 shuttle was on par with Kadarius Toney, Kyle Pitts, Erik Stokes, from last years draft.

I'm not worried about his numbers. He's obviously a better player playing downhill, but I think he'll be a fine pro if he can stay healthy. Having said all that, do I want the giants to invest the #5 or #7 pick in him? I'm not sure yet. Need to think about it more. 

Good info, thanks. I didn't know Hamilton's other measurables were so strong.

For me, I think he would be a good target after a trade down. 

9 hours ago, mastershake said:

8 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Good info, thanks. I didn't know Hamilton's other measurables were so strong.

For me, I think he would be a good target after a trade down. 

Plus you want safeties out there who can think... you know have an idea where the QB might go with the ball and intercept it.  Also someone big enough for run support.