SportsWrath

Giants Last place in the Division

Lughead

The criticism for flowers might end up being fair but on the other hand a "reach" to these writers means the player's draft position didn't exactly match up with the writer's board. most of these guys have never been paid to build a professional football team. We may criticize the front office for specific moves at times but personally I'll trust Reese over almost any football writer when it comes to personnel issues--especially in the first round.

The criticism for flowers might end up being fair but on the other hand a "reach" to these writers means the player's draft position didn't exactly match up with the writer's board. most of these guys have never been paid to build a professional football team. We may criticize the front office for specific moves at times but personally I'll trust Reese over almost any football writer when it comes to personnel issues--especially in the first round.

I'm feeling better about the Flowers pick, I just think the draft pundits are saying that at the 9th pick in the draft you generally want to get a guy who is NFL ready, a day one starter who is ready to go.

Flowers is gonna need a season or two under his belt before he reaches (if he does) his potential.

With that said I think Flowers has a stupid high ceiling and could be an anchor protecting Eli and his replacement for years to come.

I don't see how it warrants such a bad grade though, even agrees Flowers can be an LT in the league once he's coached up, so I don't see why they are calling it a "reach".

yeah i like this pick more and more each day. i'd love to ask these writers what slam dunk player did we pass on in order to draft flowers. who were we supposed to take instead? gurley? shelton? peat? i wanted parker, and maybe all these guys end up being better than flowers, but these guys all seemed to be grouped together in the 2nd tier and these criticisms come across as nitpicky. it's (seemingly) not nearly as much of a reach as taking scherff over leonard williams

from what i gathered after reading way too many of these mock draft/big board-type articles, the slamdunks were fowler, williams, cooper and i guess white. those guys were all gone, once you get past that top tier i bet every team's big board probably looked vastly different from each other

I mentioned something yesterday, for example if we took Gurley. A shit ton of people would have called it a reach and that we could have gotten him later. But low and behold he went the very next pick.

Ibthink I mocked Gurley to the Bears at #7 overall. I definitely expected Gurley to go early in the first but I'm glad it wasn't us. Nothing against the player... Just NFL RB's wear out their tread thhe fastest of any position, and you can quite often get fantastic RBs much lated in the draft, sometimes even UDFA. So for me it's not worth the risk in the first round, particularly that early.

Ibthink I mocked Gurley to the Bears at #7 overall. I definitely expected Gurley to go early in the first but I'm glad it wasn't us. Nothing against the player... Just NFL RB's wear out their tread thhe fastest of any position, and you can quite often get fantastic RBs much lated in the draft, sometimes even UDFA. So for me it's not worth the risk in the first round, particularly that early.

Right but you get what I'm saying.

That anyone could have said it was a reach and we could have had him later, but in reality we couldn't.

If we hadn't have picked Flowers, we have no idea where he would have went, that's why it's so difficult to say a team reached for a player.

Right but you get what I'm saying.

That anyone could have said it was a reach and we could have had him later, but in reality we couldn't.

If we hadn't have picked Flowers, we have no idea where he would have went, that's why it's so difficult to say a team reached for a player.

I've heard Flowers was very high on the Rams' wish list, so if we hadn't taken him it's likely he'd have gone at 10 instead.

There were 3 o-line guys in the draft that will be difference makers this year and potential perennial pro-bowlers: Scherff, Flowers, and Peat....and oh yeah, La'el "I din't do it" Collins (make that 4).

All three were going to be off the board in the first 15 picks. If we had won a couple more games last year, we would have fallen lower in the draft order and miss the chance to get a franchise tackle - one of the most difficult players to come by. It's why we are paying over 8 million dollars to keep Beatty, even though he's not exactly a pro bowler.

The draft is a crap shoot, yet we got several sure fire starters. We did fucking great.

Now to make it the best ever, we need to pick up the paper and read that the Giants signed La'el Collins and that he's all cleared of any wrong doing - LOL. Then we could have a line that grows together for the best line in giants history.

From what I understand Collins and his agent are fucking furious.

He cant declare for either the 2016 draft or the supplemental draft.

The kid's shown the only thing he cares about is money frankly in my opinion. Instead of taking this challenge/situation head on he's a little bitch complaining about his contract money.

He honestly has a chance to CHOOSE what team he goes to out of the draft cause you know every single team in the NFL are going to be calling him..... if he's not related to anything that is.

From what I understand Collins and his agent are fucking furious.

He cant declare for either the 2016 draft or the supplemental draft.

The kid's shown the only thing he cares about is money frankly in my opinion. Instead of taking this challenge/situation head on he's a little bitch complaining about his contract money.

He honestly has a chance to CHOOSE what team he goes to out of the draft cause you know every single team in the NFL are going to be calling him..... if he's not related to anything that is.

If he signs, he gets out of the contract a year earlier than if he was drafted. So he'd have to settle for like 565k in year 1, then 700k year 2, etc....and supposedly, if reaches certain plateaus can gain more money. But if he plays for that amount (which is a lot in my opinion) and he's the real deal, then in 3 years he'll command a ton of money and still only be 24 years old.

His agent is furious because he got the kid's contract and had a percentage of it going to him. He had a first round kid in the fold and a piece of the action. Now he's under contract with the same as any UDFA. I don't feel sorry for him. Fuck him - he's a leech making a fortune off another kid's talent.

I still think we should've thrown a pick at La'el Collins... Very happy with our first 3 picks... Don't have a clue about the rest

Outside of a 1st to 3rd round pick he wasnt going to sign with anyone.

No team is going to waste a pick on a guy who is just going to refuse every contract you throw at him because he's a bitch who only cares about his paycheck.

Fuck him, hope he sits out the next few years waiting for his "money".

Agreed

I would give this grade a solid "b", maybe even a b+.

I've heard Flowers was very high on the Rams' wish list, so if we hadn't taken him it's likely he'd have gone at 10 instead.

If they did. The take would of been such a great pick for Fisher and the Rams, Flowers pairs with last year's #1 Greg Robinson to give them two young maulers with upside on the oline that they need. This is why Fisher goes 8-8 every year and is such a fantastic head coach. A+ grade

I don't see how anyone can really be unhappy with this draft--LT isn't an urgent need so much as guard. Flowers needs coaching? OK, let him play next to Beatty for a year, and fill the hole in the process; while the guard we signed from Canada and the guard we drafted learn the spot. He adjusts to the NFL level of play, stays on the left side, and gets to watch an NFL level LT's technique.

We needed safeties--not only did we get the best one available in the draft, we got him in the second round. Another one in the 4th. And yet another as a UDFA.

We needed a DE--we got a perceived high 2nd-rounder in the third.

As far as I can tell, we got value and need simultaneously. At least in theory.

But honestly, drafts are so mocked and re-mocked even ranking these guys is an exercise in futility. Calling someone a "reach" because they're drafted a little higher in the same round is absurd; since it would depend on who you ask, and when you ask them.

I like Flowers as the first pick given Scherff was gone. I think that the Rams were sitting in a pretty good spot behind us. I think they would've been happy to have Flowers. Flowers was widely regarded a top 15 pick, but Scherff wasn't necessarily deemed a top 5. So when Scherff went earlier, you could argue (1) that the Redskins reached there at 5 overall and (2) that the because the Redskins reached, the Giants pick was less of a reach because the Redskins pick shifted all the OTs up the draft board.

Overall, I like the first 3 picks. I have some digging to do on the later round picks.

Only other thing I'll add is that I don't know that trading up in the 2nd round was really worth it. Nobody thought Collins would be there, so I get it, but I just think the Giants got a little too excited right there given some of the other prospects that were still on the board. But I'm not going to be all pissed off because they jumped on a guy that should not have been there at that point.