SportsWrath

Will Hill Suspended 6 games

Bigblue25

Giants: Will Hill loses appeal, will be suspended for six games and could face dismissal from team

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on May 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM, updated May 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Giants safety Will Hill lost his appeal and will be suspended for the first six games of the season for yet another failed drug test, his third in a Giants uniform since 2012.

Hill will be able to return on Oct. 13, a day after the Giants play the Eagles in Philadelphia after testing positive for substances of abuse, his second such violation in as many years. Hill was also suspended for the use of performance enhancing drugs back in 2012. He claimed it was the usage of Adderall.

But a more likely scenario for Hill will be a release. Privately, members of the team's front office are upset at Hill's failure to stay clean, though they were well aware of the risks when they signed him.

Hill has been open about the reasons why he uses drugs but told The Star-Ledger last year that he doesn't feel dependent. He sees marijuana as a way to help him keep focused and settle a particularly grueling case of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

When Hill was arrested back in December of 2013, just three months after returning from another suspension, police detected an odor of marijuana but Hill was never charged with a drug-related offense.

The Jersey City native, who has confronted trouble nearly every step of the way in his football career, was ranked among the best safeties in football last season. He notched a pair of interceptions and returned one for a touchdown. He registered 60 tackles in just 12 games and helped reenergize a sagging defense on a four-game skid.

The signs that the Giants saw this coming were evident, though. Hill barely took any first-string reps during OTA's and the team drafted Nat Berhe, a safety with a similar skillset, in the fifth round of the NFL Draft. They also signed former Chiefs safety Quintin Demps and have been using him instead of Hill in Perry Fewell's three-safety scheme.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/giants_will_hill_loses_appeal_will_be_suspended_for_six_games.html

I don't know about this one. You ever see NJ cops in action? DWB is alive and well, and I believe they think all black drivers smell like marijuana.

I know the guy has a bad track record, but they didn't find drugs, all they found were "cigar shavings." For all we know, Hill might keep his car a mess, and those shavings might be from months earlier.

Cops never found drugs. Don't see any indication he was tested.

So...he's getting suspended for what, exactly? Because of a road stop and his history?

I stand corrected:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/giants_safety_will_hill_told_friends_suspension_came_from_second-hand_marijuana_smoke.html

Still, if enough people are saying he's trying, then I tend to believe it. And, he's never denied taking it in the previous two times he was suspended.

Who gets cut in Week 7 to make way for him?

No way to know until we get there. With injuries, who knows what the roster would look like then. It might be an easy cut. I agree with Pdub. We all know a lot of professional athletes smoke marijuana... I don't even think the NFL should test for it. He's a hell of a safety and we may really need him right there in the middle of the season, and could still have fresh legs for the stretch run for the playoffs.

You know, I say we keep him this season anyway.

I'll understand if they part ways, but I say keep him this year.

Agree....give the kid one last shot....he's a good player

besides, if we cut him now, and week 5 antrel rolle goes down for the season, we are silly.

Agreed....and if he doesn't count against the roster while suspended there is no reason to cut him now

There's a reason why he's made it to the roster the hard way. And once he made it he needed to behave. 3 times now he hasn't. You say what if Antrel Rolle goes down in Week 5?. What about if Antrel Rolle goes down in week one?. Then it's Will Hill who looks silly.

I say cut his ass.This is pretty stupid behavior. The last time it was Adderall and he claimed he didn't know it was illegal even after seeing guys around the league getting pulled for it.

And Fish, everyone has a pretty good idea about the cops in Jersey, all the more reason to keep your nose clean.

I agree it was a stupid move on Will Hill's part. I also think the Giants will end up cutting him sooner rather than later, more out of the disappointment/betrayal than anything though.

That said, I think the Giants should keep hiim. If he was suspended for the whole season, I'd think it advantageous to walk away. But given he'll be around for 10 games, that's still significant time for him to have an impact on our defense and he's a good enough player to do so.

Ultimately, you have to look at what's best for the team, betrayals and disappointments aside.

There's a reason why he's made it to the roster the hard way. And once he made it he needed to behave. 3 times now he hasn't. You say what if Antrel Rolle goes down in Week 5?. What about if Antrel Rolle goes down in week one?. Then it's Will Hill who looks silly.

I say cut his ass.This is pretty stupid behavior. The last time it was Adderall and he claimed he didn't know it was illegal even after seeing guys around the league getting pulled for it.

And Fish, everyone has a pretty good idea about the cops in Jersey, all the more reason to keep your nose clean.

I agree it was a stupid move on Will Hill's part. I also think the Giants will end up cutting him sooner rather than later, more out of the disappointment/betrayal than anything though.

That said, I think the Giants should keep hiim. If he was suspended for the whole season, I'd think it advantageous to walk away. But given he'll be around for 10 games, that's still significant time for him to have an impact on our defense and he's a good enough player to do so.

Ultimately, you have to look at what's best for the team, betrayals and disappointments aside.

However things eventually work out, I really couldn't blame the Giants for cutting him, but I also think the kid has talent.

If he continues to fuck up, then he'll be facing a permanent ban from the NFL, so things will sort out one way or another.

Could totally see the Giants cutting him and then an NFC East rival grabbing him.

I think it's important to note why Hill is in trouble......he was pulled over by the cops because he was delinquent on child support payments. They found the pot after they pulled him over.

So, it's more than marijuana.....the guy is an NFL pro and a deadbeat dad.

Really, if they cut him, he's got nobody to blame but himself. Dude is talented, but a complete loser in my book.

Figured he'd be cut. We'll see if another team picks him up off waivers to hold him until his suspension is served. I still think he's worth keeping an eye on, even if the Giants won't be one of those teams...barring injuries.