SportsWrath

Draft Summary (my take)

BleedinBlue

The board dried up by the end of the 4th round so I take it everyone had their fill....or it was just such a nice day outside everyone had something better to do. I personally had to go to a graduation party for my kids' little sister ( I treat her like my daughter, but she's my ex-wife's daughter from her second marriage), so I wasn't around for the last 3 picks. Here's a funny picture of my son picking her up and she's none to happy about it.

jcA7IM8.jpg

Up in Syracuse earlier:

WfzKBIm.jpg

Anyway, I ran home to see who we got and this board was nearly empty and no chatter about the last couple of picks. Seems there was a letdown from everyone after months of agonizing waiting for this delayed draft. Hard to figure.

Anyway, as the board's eternal optimist - I feel super good - even psyched - about the first 4 picks and basically curious about the last 3 picks. My only letdown was not getting Zach Martin, but I understand that we had to grab a premier WR that fell in our lap. The Giants took 7 players this weekend - all 7 were team captains. That has to be a first in NFL history and it had to be an influential factor in the front office.

On the last three picks.

I see Nat Berhe as a meaner, nastier Tyler Sash clone - smaller than ideal, bigger heart than guys who are bigger. A hybrid LB/DE converted to a strong safety. And of course, a team captain at San Diego State. Makes me think they might cut Hill once his latest ordeal is over.

Here's some tidbits on him:

Berhe played strong safety at San Diego State, where he was a team captain and led the Aztecs with 99 tackles as a senior. Berhe was a two-star defensive back recruit out of high school, and he initially committed to UTEP before switching to San Diego State. He became the first Aztec safety since 1999 to earn All-Mountain West Conference honors in three straight seasons.

Pre-draft scouting reports considered Berhe a strong safety capable of pursuing ball carriers by using aggressive angles being quick on his feet and utilizing solid peripheral vision for above-average awareness. Against the run, the 5'11, 193-pound Berhe is willing to throw his body around to finish a tackle. He's the "high-motor, high-character" prospect that seems especially valuable in the later rounds

At 5-foot-10, 193 pounds, Berhe doesn't have the size of a prototypical safety, but what he lacks in measurables he more than makes up for in play-making ability. Last year, Berhe recorded 99 tackles, broke up six passes, sacked the quarterback once and ball carriers behind the line 5.5 times. While listed at safety, he actually played San Diego State's "Aztech" position

The position, initially run by recently retired Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher at New Mexico, is a combination of the linebacker and safety positions.

"You can blitz off the edge, can come down in the box, can play deep pass, can line up in the slot, can play guys man-to-man," Berhe said. "You can do it all. The position usually makes a lot of adjustments on defense as well. They need to be a smart guy."

While Berhe brings natural instincts, he also brings an aggressiveness to the safety position. The 22-year-old said he looks to "take peoples' heads off" when he steps on the field.

"I try to be the biggest, baddest dude out there every time," Berhe said. "It's the way I play, the way I was taught to play. I just play with a lot of anger."

At San Diego State, Berhe was elected his team's captain. He becomes the fifth captain drafted by the Giants in this year's NFL Draft.

"It shows that you're a leader. You're a guy willing to stay after, whether that is in the film room or weight room," Berhe said. "To be a leader, I found out a lot you need to be willing to serve."

Once Berhe signs his rookie contract, he and last year's fifth-round pick, Cooper Taylor, will be the Giants' lone safeties under contract beyond 2014.

I like the looks of this guy Bennett Jackson a lot. Another team captain from the school that played for the national title last year and is supposedly an incredible special teams player - our ST's should be great this year with all the guys we've brought in from free agency and then adding Beckham and this guy. Really odd to see a CB with sacks. Wonder if they'll have to put him aside with that torn labrum for surgery. May be a product for next year after rehab...I really don't have a clue, but I suspect it's the reason he fell as far as he did among the cornerbacks. Anyway, here's a little bit on him:

As a junior, Jackson started all 13 games and recorded 65 tackles, 1.5 sacks, four interceptions and four pass break-ups -- all while playing the entire season with a torn labrum. Last year, he recored 64 tackles (five for a loss) one sack, one forced fumble, two interceptions and three pass break-ups.

In his senior season, Jackson was voted Notre Dame's special teams player of the year

Curious about the OLB Devon Kennard from USC....a school that usually produces excellent defensive players. I don't know anything about him other than once again, he was the team captain.

Here's a little write-up on Kennard:

6'3, 255-pound outside linebacker left USC after finishing with 135 career tackles (13 for loss) and four sacks. Kennard was also a captain for the Trojans as a senior and posted the highest GPA on the team. His father, Derek, was an 11-year NFL offensive linemen with the Arizona Cardinals, New Orleans Saints and Dallas Cowboys (1986-96).

Kennard is considered a smart, strong outside linebacker capable of dropping into short zones in pass coverage. He also can play all linebacker positions plus defensive end, and that versatility coupled with his mental approach and NFL bloodlines should give him a solid chance to crack the Giants' two-deep at linebacker.

I hope he works out and turns into a stud.

I watched hockey last night and was out all day at my kids track meet.

Anyway, I was disappointed with passing on Martin but Beckham looks like an exciting player. I think getting a center in the 2nd makes the 1st round much easier to justify.

I'm hopeful our new DT helps strengthen the interior, and with Joseph and Tuck gone it was a logical pick.

Really like our high-production RB in the 4th.....in terms of value that was an awesome grab.

I like both 5ths and our 6th.

All said I give Reese a very solid "B" grade....addressed WR, OL,DT ,RB , LB

I really don't know how to feel about this draft. I think it's pretty shocking that we never addressed TE. Unless we've got the inside line on Jermichael Finley, or Adrian Robinson is the second coming of Witten then I don't get it. The team always seems to have a glaring weakness in one area of the team every year going into the draft and yet we somehow don't address it (Linebackers).

Secondly, unless Odell Beckham becomes the next Anquan Boldin, I hope we don't live to regret passing Zach Martin. The 2nd round pick of a center baffles me. We just signed a guy for 2 years and we let a guy walk who could have stepped in for cheap in case of injuries. Bromley was expected to go in the 4th, that seems to be a reach. The only move that seem to fall in line IMO was Andre Williams. I hope I'm wrong, but the whole 2 days seemed very uninspiring to me.

I am going to fly in the face of reality and hope Reese finally hit on a linebacker . I think this kid can and should push Herlich, Paydinger and Williams.

I actually think they will use him more as a edge rusher than anything else outside of special teams.

Kennard is most likely a Stronside LB and I believe I gave him to the Giants in a early mock. I like him a lot and he even may push McClain for a starting spot. It's a position I think most people forgot about and depth was certainly needed there. Bennett could be a star and the Giants we'll redshirt him for a year. He's probably best suited has a FS, Which the article says no safeties beyond 2014. Behre versatile as wel, played slot corner, FS, SS and a rover LB role.

One of the things that hasn't been brought up is the whole new style of offense being devised by McAdoo. Everything I've read says it's radically different, much faster paced, in-yer-face attack the defense, etc.

I have to believe that some of the players fit McAdoo's scheme which dictated their early picks. I was watching a highlite on Richburg where he hiked the ball, and immediately swung all the way to the left and trucked a linebacker 4 feet further to the left than the left tackle making room for the RB to make a big gain. You just don't see centers do that kind of thing. But I think it fits exactly with what they are expecting from McAdoo.

I think the other reason for picking team captains is the mentality. Team captain should be the last player to quit on a game where others see it as hurry up and end already. Management looked at the team last year and saw players who just said fuck it after the first half (like the fans) and decided to get players who are less likely to quit on the team.

Guess we'll see on this theory.

JD Walton is not a sure thing. Anyone who knocks the pick of a center baffles me. We haven't had a decent one since O'Hara 4 years ago.

I omitted Seubert, he was a guard and a Goddamn good one at that. Ashame he got hurt against the Potomac Basin Indigenous People in 2010.

You just said it. JD Walton is not a sure thing, so why give him the contract he got and now we would expect this kid to beat him out in camp.

You could have given Boothe half the money we gave Walton and he could play backup center along with overall line depth.

I actually think they will use him more as a edge rusher than anything else outside of special teams.

Maybe .....I hope he can be a versatile backup and hopefully can bd developed into a starter from there

I'm really excited about Beckam, Richberg and the rb we took in the fourth. Thye first two should start right away and the third will make significant contributions to the running game. I don't much about the rest, read some good things but we drafted some need positions so thats good.

Right away I think have have 3 potential right away or future starters, thats not bad at all.

JD Walton is not a sure thing. Anyone who knocks the pick of a center baffles me. We haven't had a decent one since O'Hara 4 years ago.

I omitted Seubert, he was a guard and a Goddamn good one at that. Ashame he got hurt against the Potomac Basin Indigenous People in 2010.

Nice, I'm following suit.

You just said it. JD Walton is not a sure thing, so why give him the contract he got and now we would expect this kid to beat him out in camp.

You could have given Boothe half the money we gave Walton and he could play backup center along with overall line depth.

I think he can kick out to guard for a year if he doesn't beat out Walton (and vice versa)

I think he can kick out to guard for a year if he doesn't beat out Walton (and vice versa)

There is no way Walton will beat out Richburg. Walton will be his backup and probably a backup guard as well. His purpose from day one was depth - something that eluded us last year.

That pick pleased me--Even if Walton wins the competition, he's not a long-term solution. And there's no real backup.

Boothe was a great, hard worker for years. The thing is, he's in his 30's now, and his abilities don't allow him to compensate for the inevitable drop off in physical ability.

There is no way Walton will beat out Richburg. Walton will be his backup and probably a backup guard as well. His purpose from day one was depth - something that eluded us last year.

That's I don't understand why some people are upset with Walton's signing... First it's a one year deal and the guy already proved he can play ... Sure I would have wanted Boothe but the organization wanted to get younger all in all I think the OL is solidified beyond what most if us had expected at this point... The only glaring hole is at TE which leads me to believe Roberson may be ready to step in... And we're not done signing people anyway.

Uninspiring might be too strong a word, but unconvinced I guess is where I'm at. I love the first two picks, although as I've made abundantly clear here in other threads, Martin in the 1st with a WR in the 2nd is the direction I'd have gone.

The DT in the 3rd was a reach, regardless of what anybody says. I didn't see any rankings anywhere that had Bromley in the 3rd.

RB in the 4th, I'm good with that, but we likely could have gotten a better RB in the 3rd and still picked up Bromley in the 4th.

The rest of the draft was filled with guys I hadn't even heard of, so it's tough to get too excited about any of them. Same with UDFA that have been brought aboard.