SportsWrath

Draft Summary (my take)

BleedinBlue

That's I don't understand why some people are upset with Walton's signing... First it's a one year deal and the guy already proved he can play ... Sure I would have wanted Boothe but the organization wanted to get younger all in all I think the OL is solidified beyond what most if us had expected at this point... The only glaring hole is at TE which leads me to believe Roberson may be ready to step in... And we're not done signing people anyway.

Walton is signed for two years actually.

yeah everyone seems to hate the bromley pick from what i've read

I loved the pick. An interior lineman who is a run stuffer, but also had 10 sacks last year as a caveat? That's amazing. Anytime you can find a DT that stuffs runs, but also can get to the QB is simply amazing. He flew under the radar simply because he played at Syracuse known more for it's basketball, than football teams...rather than Alabama or Florida State. Had he come from an SEC school, he'd be a 2nd round grade.

I don't think anyone "hates" the pick, I think they simply believe he could have been had in the next round because so many analysts had him graded lower. However, that is never guaranteed that the player you've zeroed in on will be there in the following round.

I remember Kiper going nuts that the Giants picked Osi in the 2nd round. He kept saying, "they could've had him in the 4th or 5th round...blah, blah". Then when they wanted to trade up to first to get Eli in the next draft, San Diego refused to budge unless the Giants threw in Osi in the deal. Seems other teams also liked him.

Regardless, there's also the problem of a team's makeup. Teams that use a 3-4 technique see DT's differently than a team that uses a 4-3. The draft board rankings do not take that into account. They had Louis Nix ranked much higher than Bromley....but Nix is a pure nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme. Ranking all the DT's in a hypothetical value board is useless if players aren't matched to the team's schemes.

I love the pick and am glad we got him.

the problem with the walton signing is that he got guaranteed money when nobody else was going to give him any

We were not only "thin" at center, but "empty" at center. Walton may not be a pro-bowler, but he has NFL experience and a healthy body that can play the position. We were bound to get another center because you can't go into the season with only one. Richburg was not guaranteed to fall into the Giants' laps, but either way...the Giants had to get a center and having Walton there, either as a mentor or adequate backup is crucial.

The Giants are pretty good at analyzing players and did not throw money at someone who they did not feel could fit the needs of our team. Although, the way they've gone through highly rated linebackers who washed out on the teams that drafted them, you sometimes wonder.

I thought it was one... but even then is the $2.5M for the 2 years or per year?

It's complicated.

2014: Base salary - 1.25 million; roster bonus - 500k; cap hit 2.375M; dead money - 2.5 Million

2014: Base salary - 2.25 million; roster bonus - 750k; cap hit 3.625M; dead money - 625k

Total: 2 years, 6 Million (2.5 Million guaranteed)

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of cap money, but I think if he doesn't make the roster next year and is cut, we only lose 625k. If he stays, it's 3.625M. I believe that means that if he doesn't come through like a star, he'll be cut at the end of the season to make cap space.