SportsWrath

Fewell to be interviewed by the Skins for HC

boohyah

Per NFL.com

The Washington Redskins search to replace Mike Shanahan presses on.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the Redskins requested and received permission to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, per a source informed of the team's plans.

Fewell spent seven games as the Buffalo Bills' interim head coach in 2009 before being let go at the end of the season. He was immediately hired by the Giants and helped lead the team to a Super Bowl XLVI.

Rapoport previously reported that the Redskins also plan to interview Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, and former Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Caldwell to fill their coaching vacancy.
Keep up to date on all the coaching news with NFL.com's head coach tracker.

The Bucs just hired Lovie Smith, so this is will turn out to be an "equal opportunity" interview. I think they end up with Caldwell.

I'd rather we keep Fewell

Though his defense is boring with "bend but don't break" and keeping in mind I'd been a big critic of him, two things to point out:

1. The dude didn't have anyone at LB worth a damn till Beason showed up.

2. It may very well be a case of "grass is greener on the other side"... I'd love to see his defense with a healthy JPP and with a few more pieces.

we finished 8th in total defense and 6th in defensive DVOA. i got no complaints about fewel

My theory is our defense had better numbers because the offense was so poor.

Teams didn't need to pass and keep pace with Eli, they could just be conservative.

If the offense was doing well the defense would have been tested and I think, the way they collapsed in the second Dallas, is more reflective of who they really are-that and when they play a good QB.

Teams didn't need to pass and keep pace with Eli, they could just be conservative.

If the offense was doing well the defense would have been tested and I think, the way they collapsed in the second Dallas, is more reflective of who they really are-that and when they play a good QB.

I think the opposite is true. Our D was out there a lot...

Please. The defense was defending a short field AT LEAST once a game. Mix in shitty special teams constantly giving good field position and some of those games should have just been absolute routs. Most of them weren't because the defense was actually pretty solid while literally getting nothing out of the offense.

Yeah, I'd like to keep Fewell, but I don't see us paying him obscene money to keep him out of a head coaching opportunity.

The Giants face the Skins twice a year...Skins know what they're getting if that's the route they go...so it isn't like the interview is merely to gain info from Fewell of the Giants defense. I think that fulfilling the Rooney rule is a distinct possibility, but it's not a waste of either Fewell's or the Skins time either.

I don't see Fewell as HC material despite his being a good DC. So, I'm torn on this one. Skins would get an ineffective (IMO) HC and we would lose a good DC...at the end of the day, I think the Skins would go with a previous head coach as opposed to getting a previous coordinator...

Back up a step, woah, hold up.

Really?

Why?

I just can't see it, and I'm hoping you can tell me

Watching him as interim head coach for the bills, yes they went 3-4 but the teams play improved under him, the players responded to him, I thought he should have been retained in that position, as did most Bills fans I know.

Watching him as interim head coach for the bills, yes they went 3-4 but the teams play improved under him, the players responded to him, I thought he should have been retained in that position, as did most Bills fans I know.

Totally agree.

I also think our own team and players have good rapport and respond to him.

I think this interview with Snyder may be real. Think about it. What well known coach is really going to want to work for Snyder at this point. Same problem i think Jerry Jones has down in Dallas. It why he keeps Jason Garret. He would have a hard time find a reasonable replacement.

Another point about Fewell. Consider the fact that he had to manage all year with a depleted secondary (Brown, Webster), and with a banged up JPP. He should get some credit for developing guys like Hill and McBride to fill in.

shit.. my bad :)

I think this interview with Snyder may be real. Think about it. What well known coach is really going to want to work for Snyder at this point. Same problem i think Jerry Jones has down in Dallas. It why he keeps Jason Garret. He would have a hard time find a reasonable replacement.

This and he wants a guy who won't undermind him like Shanahan did. This is why Jones keeps Garrett around too and fired guys who wanted to be involved in personnel decisions like Parcells and Jimmy.