SportsWrath

Fewell to be interviewed by the Skins for HC

boohyah

All I have to say is if Snyder is bringing him down there to be the token interview, then the Giants need to sniff that out and deny allowing him to go. IMO that would be fucked up.

I hear you but even if it is a charade, going through the head coach interview process is good experience for Fewell or anybody in that "Rozelle Rule" situation. Also, if a guy leaves a positive impression, people remember and it could pay dividends for him in the future.

I hear you but even if it is a charade, going through the head coach interview process is good experience for Fewell or anybody in that "Rozelle Rule" situation. Also, if a guy leaves a positive impression, people remember and it could pay dividends for him in the future.

I thought it was the "Rooney" rule named after Dan Rooney.

Denying one of your coaches the chance to interview for a better job is a dick move, no matter what the reason. The Vikings just did that to their OLine coach, who Atlanta wanted to interview.

Giants did it a few years ago to Gilbride Jr. Bucs wanted him for qb coach.

Denying one of your coaches the chance to interview for a better job is a dick move, no matter what the reason. The Vikings just did that to their OLine coach, who Atlanta wanted to interview.

Agree... its treating a person as an indentured servant...especially for positions that serve at the whim of ownership where jobs can be terminated at will ...along with a nice black listing (e.g. Fassell) thrown in for good measure.

You know what else is a dick move... our Executive Director insisting the company opens for business today in atrocious conditions and he and his wife haven't even shown up yet... oh and there are exactly 5 of us out of a 130.

First off, I'm not looking to deny him or insinuate anything. If Snyder interviews Fewell just to satisfy the Rooney Rule, then that actually will do more damage to him. It will look like another job he wasn't good enough to get.

And another thing to remember, Snyder wants big names to coach, look back at his list. Fewell is not a big name. I'm sure no matter how he would interview, if the process were to involve guys like a Gruden/Cowher etc, then Fewell doesn't stand a chance regardless and Snyder satisfies his requirements for hiring a coach.

The mara's/ Tischs and Coughlin are smart guys and if they had an inkling this was going on, they might want to have a word in his ear. And Fewell had a good year, they might want to hold onto him.

First off, I'm not looking to deny him or insinuate anything. If Snyder interviews Fewell just to satisfy the Rooney Rule, then that actually will do more damage to him. It will look like another job he wasn't good enough to get.

And another thing to remember, Snyder wants big names to coach, look back at his list. Fewell is not a big name. I'm sure no matter how he would interview, if the process were to involve guys like a Gruden/Cowher etc, then Fewell doesn't stand a chance regardless and Snyder satisfies his requirements for hiring a coach.

The mara's/ Tischs and Coughlin are smart guys and if they had an inkling this was going on, they might want to have a word in his ear. And Fewell had a good year, they might want to hold onto him.

Sadly, if he does just genuinely gets interviewed and it's a genuine no-hire, it will be viewed as just a rooney rule token interview.

Another thing, if you're under contract, teams have the right to deny you. It's not a dick move, it's business. when his contract runs out, he's a free agent and can move on. These guys know what they are signing when they do it.

There used to be a rule that allows an assistant or coordinator to leave for another team, regardless of contract, if it's a step up. I guess that's no longer the case?

But as far as being a token interview under the Rooney Rule, I heard Boomer (I think) saying that Mike Tomlin was one of those but blew the Steelers away when he got that chance. Other guys who were brought in just to satisfy the rule also impressed enough that word got around and they improved their stature through the league and front offices.

Schottenheimer

Gibbs

Shanahan

Spurrier

Regarding Zorn, He was brought in the be the OC and then something happened, this was around the time I believe Fassel was a front runner and he was trying to get Shanahan and then Snyder decided to give Zorn the job. But Zorn did have good credentials as a QB coach and had been the Hawks starting quarterback, so he wasn't a nobody, but yes he would be a lesser name on this list.

So is Coughlin doing the OC Hiring interviews or are Reece and Mara involved more in this decision? (looking forward to next possible HC)

I kinda brought this up before. I think a lot will depend upon when Coughlin is looking to hang it up. If he's looking to coach another 5 years, then I think Coughlin is heavily involved in the OC interviews. If Coughlin is looking to ride off in a year, then I think it lies more in the laps of the owners and GM. We'll know much more if/when Coughlin is extended and for how long. He's entering the final year of his contract from what I've read, so if the Giants allow him to be a lame duck coach for 2014 and simply let him retire at that point, then the OC decision will almost entirely be on the owners and GM.

I think it should be a perk of the OC position when we start interviewing some of the better OCs in the league that the HC position will be available in a few short years and that acension to that position, while not guaranteed, could be likely depending upon the performance while an OC.