SportsWrath

Eli Manning: The Problem is?

Virginia Giant

What in the world is wrong with Eli Manning? He's not even trying to check down, he's making horrible throws. All he can seem to do is throw the deep ball, which he is the best in the league at I think. He is stinking up the joint. Is he shell shocked from not having time? He had a little more time today and was going against a bad defense. He looks terrible.

One thing I noticed watching Peyton and the Broncos receivers. Peyton throws the ball up and lets his receivers go up and get it, he throws it before the end of the route while the defender is looking away. And his receivers go up and make a play on it. Now, Peyton is also the most accurate qb I've ever seen and can hit a dime in the air, but the man knows how to let his receivers beat defenders.

Eli tries to fit it in the tiniest of windows once the defender is beat or at the end of the route and the receivers just are not making a play for it.

Only reason why he's good at it or seems like he is is because that's all he does. Gilbride probably tells him to look deep all the time. His ability to do that? A lot of other QBs can throw the deep ball

I think he feels like he has to do everything, and is just trying to make too much happen.

He should be carrying the team. It's why you're getting paid $20 million a year. If he's just another key player then he needs to be paid as such. His current salary is for players that carry a team. Currently he's a liability.

When you have a dysfunctional offense, the QB is always going to look like the problem. Put Peyton behind that OL, with no running game and receivers not getting open and he's not going to look much different. NO QB "carries" a team by himself.

It's really hard to tell. No running game, no blocking, receivers not doing much.

On the other hand, Eli has been an enigma his entire career. We get a late-season slump annually, and sometimes he turns it on in the playoffs and we win the Super Bowl... sometimes he throws 3 picks in the playoffs against the Panthers.

I think we know what we've got. A wildly inconsistent QB, that just happens to be a two-time Super Bowl MVP.

It's really hard to tell. No running game, no blocking, receivers not doing much.

On the other hand, Eli has been an enigma his entire career. We get a late-season slump annually, and sometimes he turns it on in the playoffs and we win the Super Bowl... sometimes he throws 3 picks in the playoffs against the Panthers.

I think we know what we've got. A wildly inconsistent QB, that just happens to be a two-time Super Bowl MVP.

I think Eli's has become untouchable because of his heroics.... and inconsistent he is... that being said, the lack of a running game due to a horrific offensive line and predictable offense compounds the problem... As Joe mentioned, Eli is throwing 50+ times... makes it feel like I'm watching college football... not my kind of football if you ask me... I'm not one who gets excited about a long completion... our D holds up then fatigue catches up with them... not that our D is any better of course but it still...

It all start in the trenches they say... and we're losing at that spot on both sides.

No QB can carry the team when the rest of the roster is hell bent on fucking up one way or another. I still feel it is only a small tweak needed in the game plan and the accidental death of Gilbride. Its the 3 quarter than that is making me FITH and FUBAR. 3 quarters we hang with the best only to suddenly become like a dyslexic retarded midgets in the 4th qtr. Opposite theory this year guys. Watch!! We win this division. We are only 2 games out. You heard it from the Iceman first!

i think the shoddy o-line play has him shook and panicked even when they do block for him. he's not even looking past his first read anymore

Someone mentioned it earlier, but he really looks a lot like he did back in his rookie year.

He said on WFAN after the game he doesn't think he's "playing lousy"

I think he needs to watch some tape.

But I don't blame him so much, the piece meal Junior College level live blocking for him has him trying to get the ball out before he eats dirt. Top that off with predictable ineffective playcalling and not even a resemblance of a running game and it's not wonder he hasn't looked great.

We've relied on Manning to carry this team for 3 years now. He did it once when he had merely a substandard line.

This year, whiile it's true the defense has upgraded all the way from truly fucking awful to well below average, his line is a hodgepodge of youth with little/no experience and battle-maimed vets; with the only consistency being the tackles, who've managed to stay in place all 5 games.

Oh, did I forget about our run game? So have our opponents, since it is so quiet. Well, that's not entirely true--it does make some big plays by fumbling or batting screens into defender's loving arms.

And just in case that wasn't enough, the special teams have reverted from it's halcyon days last year of decent play back to clearly sucking.

Is he forcing throws--rushing passes--making questionable decisions? Sure. I don't like it, it's frustrating as hell--but I don't think I can blame him for it.

This team has exactly: 1 high-caliber QB, a solid receiving core, half a defensive line, and one of the best IR'd, unable to play secondaries in the league.

We've relied on Manning to carry this team for 3 years now. He did it once when he had merely a substandard line.

This year, whiile it's true the defense has upgraded all the way from truly fucking awful to well below average, his line is a hodgepodge of youth with little/no experience and battle-maimed vets; with the only consistency being the tackles, who've managed to stay in place all 5 games.

Oh, did I forget about our run game? So have our opponents, since it is so quiet. Well, that's not entirely true--it does make some big plays by fumbling or batting screens into defender's loving arms.

And just in case that wasn't enough, the special teams have reverted from it's halcyon days last year of decent play back to clearly sucking.

Is he forcing throws--rushing passes--making questionable decisions? Sure. I don't like it, it's frustrating as hell--but I don't think I can blame him for it.

This team has exactly: 1 high-caliber QB, a solid receiving core, half a defensive line, and one of the best IR'd, unable to play secondaries in the league.

Yup. Wilson might turn out to be a very good running back, too but so far, he more has the look of an 3rd down or change of pace back.

But your point about Eli is spot on. Of course, I think that because I've been saying the same thing!

After watching highlights (or lowlights) of last night's game, I'm ready to say that it may be time to start looking for the next QB of the Giants.

There's been enough excuses, and yes, there's plenty of blame... but those picks were just fucking terrible.

I'm not saying we should get rid of Eli (unless a team like the Raiders wants to give up the house for him), but he hasn't ever looked this bad, rookie year included. He's clearly going backwards.

After watching highlights (or lowlights) of last night's game, I'm ready to say that it may be time to start looking for the next QB of the Giants.

There's been enough excuses, and yes, there's plenty of blame... but those picks were just fucking terrible.

I'm not saying we should get rid of Eli (unless a team like the Raiders wants to give up the house for him), but he hasn't ever looked this bad, rookie year included. He's clearly going backwards.

I understand why you and quite a few fans would feel that way... it seems Eli sucks balls when he doesn't have a solid OL... yes the OL played better last night.. but Eli needs to settle back in. I'm very ok with the loss yesterday, as stated in the game thread,... For some reason I've already figured out I want to have better draft position back when we were 0-3.