SportsWrath

Jon Beason

Bigblue25

Beason tore his ACL in 2012, and then got hurt in 2013 and needed microfracture surgery. This was less than a year ago. As we all know from how that surgery affected Kenny Phillips' career, and how long it took him to come back to anything close to his former self, then what this move amounts to is a desperation move hoping that somehow there is a medical miracle with Beason and he is able to move the same way he did before the injury relatively soon.

Plus, he's making a million dollars this year. You can get another young, athletic, castoff linebacker playing for the minimum, who would at LEAST be able to move around the field ok.

If this is about next year, and hoping that he can return to form then.... I guess? This is nuts.

Beason tore his ACL in 2012, and then got hurt in 2013 and needed microfracture surgery. This was less than a year ago. As we all know from how that surgery affected Kenny Phillips' career, and how long it took him to come back to anything close to his former self, then what this move amounts to is a desperation move hoping that somehow there is a medical miracle with Beason and he is able to move the same way he did before the injury relatively soon.

Plus, he's making a million dollars this year. You can get another young, athletic, castoff linebacker playing for the minimum, who would at LEAST be able to move around the field ok.

If this is about next year, and hoping that he can return to form then.... I guess? This is nuts.

That's the only possible reason, and if it's only a 7th we're sending them then it's worth a flier for next year, especially if he's even close to his 2007-2010 form.

This isn't about the future, it's about having enough bodies to reasonably survive the rest of the season.

Correct but if the guy is a shell of himself and is recovering from multiple surgeries, then the "now" is out of the window.

From PFF....Beason has given up 150 yards on only 29 coverage snaps...the worst by any LB in the league

So we just traded for the worst LB in the league? Awesome but at least he won't feel embarrassed by the other LBs he's playing with.

Beason is a classic Reese linebacker.....full of "ifs ands and buts".

Beason was a ProBowler, but got injured, and if he gets back to 100%, would be an improvement.

I'm at the point now where beggars can't be choosers.....getting anyone to provide competition or depth is something I won't turn my nose up over.

Here's the ESPN take on him....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9767292/new-york-giants-trade-carolina-panthers-lb-jon-beason-reports

Here's the ESPN take on him....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9767292/new-york-giants-trade-carolina-panthers-lb-jon-beason-reports

"A week later, in a 24-23 last-second loss at Buffalo, he gave up five catches for 112 yards, including a 45-yarder to Stevie Johnson on which 35 yards came after the catch."

So they had a recovering LB covering a #1WR? That says a lot more about the Panthers than Beason.

as far as beason vs blackburn goes, im not putting much stock into the opinion of ron rivera or a front office that used half their cap space on two average running backs

You know their GM was just hired in January of this year, and is the former Senior Pro Personnel Analyst for our Giants, right? He was hired away from us. His first order of business was having DeAngelo Williams sign a new contract that had some sanity... the contract he signed in 2011 was with the former GM, a 5 year, $43 mil deal, and now Williams is under a 3 year, $10 mil deal. Gettleman is fixing that team.

You know their GM was just hired in January of this year, and is the former Senior Pro Personnel Analyst for our Giants, right? He was hired away from us. His first order of business was having DeAngelo Williams sign a new contract that had some sanity... the contract he signed in 2011 was with the former GM, a 5 year, $43 mil deal, and now Williams is under a 3 year, $10 mil deal. Gettleman is fixing that team.

I have a feeling they take Nicks from us

I have a feeling they take Nicks from us

Yeah, me too. Played college ball there and with Smith near the end it's a really sensible fit. As for Beason, it seems like we're just throwing shit against the wall and hoping it sticks at this point. Hopefully they come in with a real plan at the position for next season because this patchwork effort we have now isn't going to cut it anymore without a pass rush.

So they had a recovering LB covering a #1WR? That says a lot more about the Panthers than Beason.

exactly. im not putting much stock in rivera playing blackburn over him. he's one of the worst coaches in the nfl.

with beason we are definitely taking a shot in the dark, and he is coming off two of the worst injuries an athlete can have, but this isn't exactly mortgaging our future and i'm not ready to give up on the season just yet

i'm aware but that remains to be seen. jerry richardson is still the owner

There's no harm in this trade, we're all bitching about getting linebacker help and we got some for basically some late rounder.

Let's give him a chance.

For me, it's more of the same. Simply another injury-riddled body to throw in there. We tried that with Connor, Curry, and Rivers. We would have been better off signing an UDFA and keeping our draft pick. We'd be getting the same player...only THIS player would be healthy and we wouldn't be down a draft pick already.

The Panthers receive an undisclosed 2014 draft pick in the deal, which is believed to be a seventh-rounder. The Giants will pay the remainder of Beason's $1 million salary and he is due per-game roster bonuses of $109,375 for every game he's on the 53-man roster

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/lb-beason-aims-giant-article-1.1476982#ixzz2grcDniJZ

Okay, that's a good deal. I was worried there'd be a huge cap hit with the trade, but if he's able to return to even 75% of his previous form we got a steal.

Okay, that's a good deal. I was worried there'd be a huge cap hit with the trade, but if he's able to return to even 75% of his previous form we got a steal.

I was aware he was coming here cheap and for a late round pic which I thought was a 7th anyway... He passed the physical but I feel his demeanor is what this team needs... Tuck just doesn't have it.

What! And miss out on the next Greg Jones or Phillip Dillard? You're crazy!