SportsWrath

1-6: Let the Jadeveon Clowney Sweepstakes Begin

mastershake

My calendar says 2013.

so you're a fickle fan who can't even appreciate a superbowl. gotcha

and either way you're wrong about "only showing flashes". he's done more for this team than 95% of the wr's in this franchise's history

I think you're much better than this. You know that's not what I meant... Expecting excellence day in and day out doesn't make me a fickle fan. Using your logic, Fewel & Gilbride get a pass too... JPP being horrifically out of shape is ok too. Rolle getting paid like a Pro-Bowler without being one is ok too...

the difference with fewel and gilbride is that i never gave them much credit for the last superbowl. i thought we won in spite of them. that's pretty much the exact opposite of what nicks contributed to the last superbowl as he basically dominated the atlanta and green bay games and was clutch as shit in the superbowl.

I don't give JPP a pass at all though i stop at getting mad at him because I don't know all the facts about how much his ineffectiveness is the fault of a bad luck ongoing back injury or his own inability to stay in shape. but he's clearly not producing and i'm not happy about it. this guy fits your "shown flashes" description more than nicks does imo

i like rolle and he's a good player but yeah there's no doubt his cap number is too high this year and next, but that's because his contract is backloaded. he made 3.5 mil the year we won the superbowl. something will have to be done about his cap numbers next year though yes. if we bottom out there's no reason to keep him

the difference with fewel and gilbride is that i never gave them much credit for the last superbowl. i thought we won in spite of them. that's pretty much the exact opposite of what nicks contributed to the last superbowl as he basically dominated the atlanta and green bay games and was clutch as shit in the superbowl.

I don't give JPP a pass at all though i stop at getting mad at him because I don't know all the facts about how much his ineffectiveness is the fault of a bad luck ongoing back injury or his own inability to stay in shape. but he's clearly not producing and i'm not happy about it. this guy fits your "shown flashes" description more than nicks does imo

i like rolle and he's a good player but yeah there's no doubt his cap number is too high this year and next, but that's because his contract is backloaded. he made 3.5 mil the year we won the superbowl. something will have to be done about his cap numbers next year though yes. if we bottom out there's no reason to keep him

Totally agreed.

This team cannot afford to have a mix of "stars" and schlubs. I'd much rather have a mix of good players that are smart and athletic enough to execute a gameplan.

Give Coughlin a team of smart, tough players, and you'll get another 10-6 season and another decent playoff run.

Alternate take on JPP here. Obviously he's not up to par yet - could be because he's just now getting through the acclimation period that every other player got in training camp, or it could be because he simply didn't get himself in good enough shape.

Or maybe... he's still growing. He didn't get much weight room time as a younger man, and this dude is freakin huge. Maybe his future is at defensive tackle.

I've always been a big Nicks supporter and have chided some on this board for not appreciating what a special player he is. Said he was more important to sign than Cruz, in fact.

So I am hugely disappointed that he's a shell of the guy I was talking about. No burst, no explosion, no steel clamp hands. This changes the whole equation we thought we were looking at in terms of his next contract - for both the team and the player. Forget anything like 4 years, $40M.....how about a 1 year deal at $5M? Unless there's dramatic improvement over the next 12 games, can't see anybody offering more.......and maybe it's worth a roll of the dice that it takes a full season to fully recover from the injuries and he'll be back to the 80 catch, 1200 yards, 12 TD guy next year. Remember, he's still young - younger than Cruz, in fact!

I've always been a big Nicks supporter and have chided some on this board for not appreciating what a special player he is. Said he was more important to sign than Cruz, in fact.

So I am hugely disappointed that he's a shell of the guy I was talking about. No burst, no explosion, no steel clamp hands. This changes the whole equation we thought we were looking at in terms of his next contract - for both the team and the player. Forget anything like 4 years, $40M.....how about a 1 year deal at $5M? Unless there's dramatic improvement over the next 12 games, can't see anybody offering more.......and maybe it's worth a roll of the dice that it takes a full season to fully recover from the injuries and he'll be back to the 80 catch, 1200 yards, 12 TD guy next year. Remember, he's still young - younger than Cruz, in fact!

I think he's a luxury at this point and with what we're dealing with, one we probably can't afford. I think a team like Carolina with Smith getting older could offer more than we're capable of giving him. We'll see though we may have more cap room than we expect. I'm going to be watching these games now to see who still gives a fuck and who doesn't and Coughlin and Reese are probably doing the same.

If we're getting the #1 pic it's time to go after an Andrew Luck-Type QB (if available). The colts figured Peyton's career was winding down and Peyton the Broncos was a good move for both teams.

I'd really hate to go the Robert Gallery route or the Mario Williams route (not that he was a bad pick but not a #1 pick)

I think he's a luxury at this point and with what we're dealing with, one we probably can't afford. I think a team like Carolina with Smith getting older could offer more than we're capable of giving him. We'll see though we may have more cap room than we expect. I'm going to be watching these games now to see who still gives a fuck and who doesn't and Coughlin and Reese are probably doing the same.

The cap won't be an issue then... you can bet the Giants will unload a lot of dead weight.

lol there's no second superbowl without nicks

Jesus Christ will people stop riding Nicks' ass....he is just as good if not better than the Super Slot Receiver Cruz...Remember the Giants rushed back a half healed Nicks last season and our offense suffered for it for the season. The man has the softest hands of any Giants receiver I have ever seen...and that is 45 years of watching Giants games... ;)

This...

Alternate take on JPP here. Obviously he's not up to par yet - could be because he's just now getting through the acclimation period that every other player got in training camp, or it could be because he simply didn't get himself in good enough shape.

Or maybe... he's still growing. He didn't get much weight room time as a younger man, and this dude is freakin huge. Maybe his future is at defensive tackle.

This...I remember at the dusk of the Taylor era we had this young line man come in ...name of Strahan...had a pretty decent first year...ho hum second and third years... D-Lineman is almost as much of a learning experience as the OL. Its also one of those positions where the more you play when relatively healthy the better you become.

This...I remember at the dusk of the Taylor era we had this young line man come in ...name of Strahan...had a pretty decent first year...ho hum second and third years... D-Lineman is almost as much of a learning experience as the OL. Its also one of those positions where the more you play when relatively healthy the better you become.

Yeah, I remember by the time Strahan really started to come on strong I was thinking that maybe one of his backups was the future. Jamal Duff! LOL... I think it was that very season that Strahan showed that he was a future hall of famer, and Duff... well, he showed very nice speed against the Redskins for one game, and then... ::poof::...career over.

and either way you're wrong about "only showing flashes". he's done more for this team than 95% of the wr's in this franchise's history

I don't know if fickle is the word because, in all honesty, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league....I think the same should extend to Coughlin and Manning, but it never will.

Only thing we have to look forward too

1.Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama

2.Eric Ebron TE UNC

3.Andrew Jackson ILB Western Kentucky

4.Jonathan Brown OLB Illinois

5.Tyler Larsen C Utah St

6.Kareem Martin DE UNC

7.Ryan Hewiitt FB Stanford

Only thing we have to look forward too

1.Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama

2.Eric Ebron TE UNC

3.Andrew Jackson ILB Western Kentucky

4.Jonathan Brown OLB Illinois

5.Tyler Larsen C Utah St

6.Cassius Marsh DE UCLA

7.Ryan Hewiitt FB Stanford

I'm fucking loving this draft already.. you mean a draft where we pick 2 OLs, 2 LBs, a DE, and FB?

Btw, you think we'll be picking top 5?