SportsWrath

Hakeem Nicks : here we go again

Lughead

I'm sure he will be fine after a few days rest ......mild groin strain ......just being cautious .....yes its frustrating , but there is a long season ahead , we are only a few days into camp ......he really wants to be out there practising ........we should all just relax a bit

I would think they'd have professionals working with these guys to stretch correctly. I don't understand pros taking shortcuts in their stretching routine. If you are properly stretched out, you should never stretch a groin or pull a hammy.

I would think they'd have professionals working with these guys to stretch correctly. I don't understand pros taking shortcuts in their stretching routine. If you are properly stretched out, you should never stretch a groin or pull a hammy.

You know... one thing I've noticed in the few times I've been to training camp is how lackadaisical and uninspired team warmups are. I know that trying to get 80+ guys to warm up at the same time isn't exactly easy, but I would expect a Tom Coughlin-led team to less complacent.

You know... one thing I've noticed in the few times I've been to training camp is how lackadaisical and uninspired team warmups are. I know that trying to get 80+ guys to warm up at the same time isn't exactly easy, but I would expect a Tom Coughlin-led team to less complacent.

Seems to be the theme of professional sports. You've seen the vids of players before a game "stretching". More like jawing with other players or camera guys while they are kind of lean to one side. Bleedin is right, if these guys would focus and really put the work into their stretching routines along of these muscle injuries would go away.

Actually the newer method is not to stretch too much before a workout, but to stretch fully during the cool down. Apparently over-stretching before a workout is supposed to increase the risk of injury.

From playing middle school sports through high school and college...I was always told to stretch BOTH before AND after. Stretching before always helped my muscles to be loose. No tension and much more fluid. Warming up, however, did nothing for me. Afterward, a cool down walk or some light exercise like riding a bike on level ground...and no stretching...something to let the muscles cool down and slowly recover.

This is what always worked for me and I've never pulled a muscle, broken a bone, or any of it.

As for Nicks, should he be acting this up just so he doesn't have to practice or should he actually be dinged...either way, he's only hurting his own stock in a contract year...especially with an up and comer in Randel.

Finally someone is agreeing with me :rules:

Actually the newer method is not to stretch too much before a workout, but to stretch fully during the cool down. Apparently over-stretching before a workout is supposed to increase the risk of injury.

I remember reading that it lessens strength but increases flexibility. In the end most real injuries aren't stretch related anyway. Hard to stretch out a broken leg or torn ACL.

The idea is to warm up first... stretching first doesn't make sense... but jogging slowly first to get warmed up then stretching is the way to go.

I remember reading that it lessens strength but increases flexibility. In the end most real injuries aren't stretch related anyway. Hard to stretch out a broken leg or torn ACL.

Stretching isn't going to help an ACL, but it might prevent a groin or hammy, something that won't force a guy to miss many games but lingers all fucking year and hampers his athleticism.

I'm no medical expert, so I don't really know shit. But a god stretch before a game or practice always made me feel faster and more athletic compared to when I half assed it.

This. It's how I've always been taught, too...you run a couple laps around the track or the field or whatever...you come back and stretch. Then stretch to end the practice or game, as well.

Back in the day when I played sports, I sometimes overstretched and ended up hurting myself. Of course in my day, if you had a pulled anything the coach would slap you on the back of the head and tell you to get in the game anyway.

If you "bounce-stretch" (like I used to), you can do more damage than getting hurt during the game. The idea is to slowly allow the muscles to loosen. Once comfortable, stretch a little further, but not to the point of damage.

Back in the day when I played sports, I sometimes overstretched and ended up hurting myself. Of course in my day, if you had a pulled anything the coach would slap you on the back of the head and tell you to get in the game anyway.

If you "bounce-stretch" (like I used to), you can do more damage than getting hurt during the game. The idea is to slowly allow the muscles to loosen. Once comfortable, stretch a little further, but not to the point of damage.

First you need to warm up... jog for a few.. then stretch... stretching a "cold" muscle is a recipe for disaster.

First you need to warm up... jog for a few.. then stretch... stretching a "cold" muscle is a recipe for disaster.

The only time I stretch anymore is just before I tee off on the first hole. I touch my toes, hold my driver over my head with my arms as far apart as possible and twist back and forth to loosen my back muscles. It looks impressive to my golf buddies, but after I shank the fucking ball into the woods, it ain't so impressive!

lol