SportsWrath

Tenders

Mr. P

he can only really play slot but he brings way more to the slot position than any other slot wr ever has. it's tough to value a unique player like him i guess

WRs have been struggling coming out of the Giants offense as of late....I'm just wondering if Cruz goes to a team like the Rams where he'll be more like a number 1 in terms of which CB is going to cover him (IMO, unless the Rams have someone I am overlooking or improve further over Amendola in the draft/FA) whether or not he will have nearly the same amount of success. Looking at Steve Smith and Mario Manningham I am thinking that he won't, which is probably an indictment over my consistent claims that Cruz is more important in our offense than Nicks is and hence, more valuable to us....

It's probably more that a certain type of slot receiver possessing certain skills will excel with Eli Manning and not so much that Cruz is out of this world good....

You'd have to think a smart agent would council him to take slightly less money in NY, where he has nearly unlimited good-will and endorsement potential, than take a few million more on the back end of a contract in a worse media market.

You'd have to think a smart agent would council him to take slightly less money in NY, where he has nearly unlimited good-will and endorsement potential, than take a few million more on the back end of a contract in a worse media market.

I think a smart agent would argue that Cruz has become popular enough where he can get similar endorsements wherever he ends up.

The Giants can't lose and they're not in no position financially to pay Cruz a huge amount... so they either have Cruz for one more year... or get a 1st rounder... or sign a good deal for both sides... Cruz needs to listen to the other side of the argument... he's one terrible injury away from losing it all...

Which means we're back to the negotiating table.. I highly doubt Cruz will go down that route.. I still like him as a person. I don't fault him for wanting to get top-dollar either. I just don't want and don't expect things to turn sour.

I think a smart agent would argue that Cruz has become popular enough where he can get similar endorsements wherever he ends up.

He wouldn't have nearly the same exposure or potential earnings playing in KC or Arizona et al.

The Giants do owe it to Cruz. The guy has produced insane amount of production and even help the team win a Super bowl. If it wasn't for Cruz, you think Mario Manningham gonna get all that shine?.. of cause not, any Giants fan can agree that Cruz has been a great team player for the Organization and believe his time will come to collect. I believe the Giants need to fork over the right amount of money before he really test out the market where he could get Half of what Megatron got.

I believe the agent will say to the Giants that Cruz was undervalue and need to be paid for the past performance.

he might be in high demand in other markets, but the same number of opportunities simply don't exist elsewhere

The Giants do owe it to Cruz. The guy has produced insane amount of production and even help the team win a Super bowl. If it wasn't for Cruz, you think Mario Manningham gonna get all that shine?.. of cause not, any Giants fan can agree that Cruz has been a great team player for the Organization and believe his time will come to collect. I believe the Giants need to fork over the right amount of money before he really test out the market where he could get Half of what Megatron got.

I believe the agent will say to the Giants that Cruz was undervalue and need to be paid for the past performance.

So was Smith. It's always a business decision.

but Smith had a nasty injury as well

Just saying that both were in very similar situations. Giants wanted to sign long term deal for a very good WR. Smith gambled to test the FA market and lost. Cruz could very well end up the same way.

Just saying that both were in very similar situations. Giants wanted to sign long term deal for a very good WR. Smith gambled to test the FA market and lost. Cruz could very well end up the same way.

but behind closed doors Giant Dr,s knew Smith had a bad injury and did not want to roll the dice on his recovery . I remember a lot of us where pissed they did not resign him until his recovery problems came to light and really what did he do after he left the Giants? In this case Cruz Is not injured and I feel he is more dynamic than Smith was, Although Smith was clutch 3rd down.

I'm sorry, but you have to fork over substantial money for JPP and Nicks next year. Cruz is a luxury, not a need. He's very talented, I'd love for him to stay, but in this cap era, I'd rather move on, because JPP is going to probably be the highest paid DE in the NFL after next year... in fact, my crystal ball says the Giants will franchise tag him... and Nicks is going to get north of $10 million per year more than likely. And you can't have a pro bowl team getting paid like they are pro-bowlers. You have Randle developing, and the smart play here is hope you get a first rounder for Cruz this year, if not, let him walk next year, and hope he signs his tender... and be happy you have two very good outside guys in Nicks and Randle, hope that Reese was right on Robinson, and find a slot guy that can be at least 75% the player that Cruz is... because if you find that guy, you still have a very good offense capable of doing a lot of damage.

Big year for Randle... and just so you guys know, there is 2 chances of Cruz signing a long term deal this offseason with the Giants... fat and slim. You might as well come to terms with it. The Giants have already made him an offer, and from Cruz's perspective, it's just not good enough, and even if he plays for less this year, he's not going to just sign a $7 million per year deal or so on an extension and miss out on the opportunity to get $11-$13 million per year as an unrestricted free agent with someone next year. That's just how it goes. Start hoping that someone with a nice first round position offers him some a contract.

I'm sorry, but you have to fork over substantial money for JPP and Nicks next year. Cruz is a luxury, not a need. He's very talented, I'd love for him to stay, but in this cap era, I'd rather move on, because JPP is going to probably be the highest paid DE in the NFL after next year... in fact, my crystal ball says the Giants will franchise tag him... and Nicks is going to get north of $10 million per year more than likely. And you can't have a pro bowl team getting paid like they are pro-bowlers. You have Randle developing, and the smart play here is hope you get a first rounder for Cruz this year, if not, let him walk next year, and hope he signs his tender... and be happy you have two very good outside guys in Nicks and Randle, hope that Reese was right on Robinson, and find a slot guy that can be at least 75% the player that Cruz is... because if you find that guy, you still have a very good offense capable of doing a lot of damage.

Big year for Randle... and just so you guys know, there is 2 chances of Cruz signing a long term deal this offseason with the Giants... fat and slim. You might as well come to terms with it. The Giants have already made him an offer, and from Cruz's perspective, it's just not good enough, and even if he plays for less this year, he's not going to just sign a $7 million per year deal or so on an extension and miss out on the opportunity to get $11-$13 million per year as an unrestricted free agent with someone next year. That's just how it goes. Start hoping that someone with a nice first round position offers him some a contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/jason-pierre-paul/

JPP is currently signed through 2014. Still, I'm sure we'd prefer to lock him in before he can even think about free agency in 2015.